New research: Somali immigrants in Sweden suffering from severe vitamin D deficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somali immigrants in Sweden suffering from severe vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy

New research out of Sweden has found that pregnant Somali women are suffering from severe vitamin D deficiency, with one-third of the women having undetectable vitamin D levels.

Past reports have speculated that Somali women living in Sweden are deficient in vitamin D, perhaps severely deficient. Despite this speculation, there remains little data in public literature on the vitamin D levels of these immigrants.

Severe vitamin D deficiency can lead to osteomalacia and muscle weakness. Osteomalacia is the adult form of rickets, where due to vitamin D and/or calcium deficiency, the bones become soft and fragile. People with osteomalacia often have difficulties climbing stairs and getting up from the squatting position.

Furthermore, researchers speculate that vitamin D deficiency may lead to birth complications and conditions in offspring, although more research is needed to say for sure.

In the present study, researchers from Uppsala University looked at 123 women from a local antenatal clinic, 71 of which were native Swedes, 52 of which had emigrated from Somalia (defined as having been born in Somalia).

The researchers found that Swedish women had higher vitamin D levels, with mean levels of 19.8 ng/ml.

In stark contrast, a mean level could not be calculated in the Somali group because 35% of the women had undetectable levels, meaning that their levels were less than 4 ng/ml. Overall, ninety percent of the Somali women had severe vitamin D deficiency with levels lower than 10 ng/ml. In comparison, only 10% of Swedish women had severe deficiency.

When the researchers looked at muscle strength, they found that the Swedish women were much stronger and able to do basic movements compared to the Somali women. Somali women had weaker grip strength and weaker leg performance. Seventy-three percent of women were unable to squat, 29% were unable to stand on one leg and 21% could not lift their hips. Grip strength strongly correlated with 25(OH)D levels, the lower your level, the worse your grip strength.

“Many of the Somali women in this study had undetectable or very low 25(OH)D concentrations and pronounced muscle weakness in the hands and upper legs, where grip strength was strongly associated with low 25(OH)D concentrations,” the researchers concluded. “These findings have implications for the antenatal care of this population. Maternity health care personnel should be aware of this increased frequency and manage their care accordingly.”

The researchers did not speculate whether some of the Somali women were suffering from osteomalacia or not.

Where are the Somali women from around the world who can advocate for each-other through content?

YouTube

Magazines

Websites

Somali Hoyos love to copy eachother, my moms friend started eating a plant based diet and my mother starting immediately after hearing about her results. I had to sit with my mother for weeks to explain what she can and can’t eat. The doctors kept telling her to consume meat and dairy.

Unless she didn’t get positive feedback and from hearing about her friends health and mobility improve my she wouldn’t have changed her diet.

Somali mothers are in desperate need somali content that translates global health trends in away they can understand.

Hybrid

Death Awaits You
Vitamin d is produce in the skin by the exposure of sunlight. People with black skin required lots of sunlight to produce normal vitamin d levels. I was also found to be deficient in vitamin d.
I recommend everyone to take 2000IU D3 every day. It's over the counter.

Vitamin d is produce in the skin by the exposure of sunlight. People with black skin required lots of sunlight to produce normal vitamin d levels. I was also found to be deficient in vitamin d.

A Vampire Avatar talks about Vitamin D.

:lolbron:

Severe vitamin D deficiency can lead to osteomalacia and muscle weakness. Osteomalacia is the adult form of rickets, where due to vitamin D and/or calcium deficiency, the bones become soft and fragile. People with osteomalacia often have difficulties climbing stairs and getting up from the squatting position.

You can blame the ugly bedsheets they wear for this. Low Vitamin D levels are caused by lack of sunlight. Draping your body in curtains is a pretty good way to deprive your skin of light. So is being cooped up indoors all day. We can thank the recently imported Saudi culture for both these traits. Before the war, and during our entire nomadic history, women bared their heads and arms. What miserable life these bedsheets live. They never feel the breeze in their hair, they never swim, they never sunbathe on the beach, they never scubadive, they never play tennis or football or even go for a jog. Saudi culture has brought us not only extremism, but disease. Oh, the wonders of Arabism.

Last edited:

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
m049v.jpg

I thought you were a guy. Jeez, had I known you had lady bits, I would have doorstepped you long ago.

Somalis need to take their health more seriously.
I take; Cod Liver Oil tablets, Feraglobin Iron Capsules & eat foods high in vitamin D daily.

I'm not fluent in English. Reading books is too hard for to follow through.
They stopped changing names.
Yeah me too. I'm still on coloring books. Chip, Biff, and Floppy are my fave. Yesterday my teacher taught me the difference between "two" and "too". Hardest shit I ever did. It was harder than differential calculus wallahi.

Hybrid

Death Awaits You
Yeah me too. I'm still on coloring books. Chip, Biff, and Floppy are my fave. Yesterday my teacher taught me the difference between "two" and "too". Hardest shit I ever did. It was harder than differential calculus wallahi.
Qofna kaama rumeeysanayo sxb. You were born in the UK and definitely have a college degree.

"When the researchers looked at muscle strength, they found that the Swedish women were much stronger and able to do basic movements compared to the Somali women. Somali women had weaker grip strength and weaker leg performance. Seventy-three percent of women were unable to squat, 29% were unable to stand on one leg and 21% could not lift their hips."

:shookgabre::faysalwtf::farmajoyaab:

The "Western diet and lifestyle" combined with Saudi-imported clothing rules (AKA curtains) has really destroyed the health of our mothers and somali women in general. The worst thing is that Autism in newborn children of Somali mothers in Sweden is 300-400% more prevalent than the rest of the population. And doctors are pointing that to the fact that 9 out 10 somali pregnant women suffer from severe vitamin D deficiency.

:mjcry::mjcry:

Still remember when we had rotations in medical school and I was placed in a "somali" area and the doctor I was sitting with for the day told me "Can you explain to your people in your language that it's probably a stupid idea to dress in 4 layers of curtains especially since you are African and black and if you haven't noticed, you are now living in a country where the sun is shining less than 4 hours a day half of the year" :bell:

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
It's all the carbs and sugar they're consuming everyday. Imagine telling Non-Somalis the Somali diet they would faint.

Breakfast-- carbs, sugar, oil and more sugar in the tea.

Lunch- More carbs, sugar, and fat.

Snack-- sugar, sugar and yes you guessed it right ladies and gentlemen more sugar.

Dinner-- carbs, oil and more sugar.

This is what's killing us.

Now we know the reasons for that massive forehead. Xalimos need to take vitamin D supplements seriously, else future mali generations will look like aliens.

DM-mlE7X0AA6Id6.jpg

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
Somalis along with many other ethnic groups don't cosume a balanced diet. They don't know the meaning of the word balanced. They consume carbs, sugar and meat on a regular basis. I guess it's because it's cheaper and easy to make, they don't have the time to put thought on a balanced healthy diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts