New member here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asc walaalayal
I have been ghosting for far too long. I’ve decided to show myself and have my take on the great threads in this forum. Ask me anything. Welcome me with the greatest of our Somali Hospitality xxx

Asc walaalayal
I have been ghosting for far too long. I’ve decided to show myself and have my take on the great threads in this forum. Ask me anything. Welcome me with the greatest of our Somali Hospitality xxx

Wa alaikum salaam, walal.

I am a new member too, hope it’s ok to jump on your thread.

How did you find out about this site? What part of the world do you live at? Were you born in Somalia? Other than the country you currently live in, have you been anywhere else?

Hope the questions are ok. Xx

Wa alaikum salaam, walal.

I am a new member too, hope it’s ok to jump on your thread.

How did you find out about this site? What part of the world do you live at? Were you born in Somalia? Other than the country you currently live in, have you been anywhere else?

Hope the questions are ok. Xx
Asc Walaal Don't worry
Welcome to somalispot
I found out about this site as it came up on a google search quite a few months ago.
Uk
No was born in Europe
Switzerland/Kenya (lived in these place)
Also been to Saudi for Umrah and some parts of the gulf and France
How about you
Where do you live?
Occupation/studies?
Where have you been to?
Aspirations?
Age ( like a rough age, not your real don't worry lol)?

Asc Walaal Don't worry
Welcome to somalispot
I found out about this site as it came up on a google search quite a few months ago.
Uk
No was born in Europe
Switzerland/Kenya (lived in these place)
Also been to Saudi for Umrah and some parts of the gulf and France
How about you
Where do you live?
Occupation/studies?
Where have you been to?
Aspirations?
Age ( like a rough age, not your real don't worry lol)?

Same here! I followed a thread about a gay American Somali boy and his troubles and found myself on a site that is filled with hilarious threads and some worrying ones too.

I live in the UK, London to be exact.
My siblings and I are what other Somalis call a sijui - I am sure you heard that having lived in Kenya.

Mother decided that she wanted to move to Europe in 1990.
Lived in Denmark for 2 years, Sweden for a year. Finally decided on London 1994. Lived in West London since.

We have Switzerland in common, older brother moved there after uni and has been working there since 2001.
Lived in Switzerland for a year in 2007 doing an internship with WHO. Never been Saudi but In’sha’Allah I hope to.

I live in London, went back to school and currently studying nursing. I previously studied International Relation with Third World studies and worked for Red Cross, WHO and other NGO’s for 8 years. Wanted to do something different.

Travelled around some parts of Africa after finishing uni, doing volunteering work but also for pleasure. Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Congo, Durban and Cape Town in S Africa. Would love to do more of Africa. Zanzibar and Tanzania are home to me, travelled around them ever since I was a kid with my family. Did Kenya once when I was a child with my family, we went to Malindi for a family holiday.

I LOVE travelling and extreme sports! Like I literally LIVE for it! Any chance I get, I’ll be on a plane or off a plane in some cases.

Did 9 weeks backpacking with 7 other girls around Thailand (which was absolutely AMAZING), 5 went home after two weeks. The other two girls and I carried on to Myanmar and Cambodia then back to Thailand for another week of island hopping before getting back to London.

Travelled around Australia, New Zealand and Fiji for 6 months.

Been to Nice, Lyon, Montpellier, Marseille and Bordeaux.

Within UK, Scotland (in love with the Scottish people and the beauty of their country), Wales, Bath, around the Cotswolds, lived in Lancashire for a year.

Switzerland- Bern, Verbier, Zurich and Geneva (I go to Geneva every year visiting family and friends)

I have more places I want to visit, In’sha’Allah.

I am 35 (not ashamed of my age ). My aspirations are to travel more, spend even more time with my growing family, meet more people and learn about their cultures. Hope that I do not falter with my studies and not finish.

That is a lot, sorry. I tend to write as if I am talking to that person face to face.

Same here! I followed a thread about a gay American Somali boy and his troubles and found myself on a site that is filled with hilarious threads and some worrying ones too.

I live in the UK, London to be exact.
My siblings and I are what other Somalis call a sijui - I am sure you heard that having lived in Kenya.

Mother decided that she wanted to move to Europe in 1990.
Lived in Denmark for 2 years, Sweden for a year. Finally decided on London 1994. Lived in West London since.

We have Switzerland in common, older brother moved there after uni and has been working there since 2001.
Lived in Switzerland for a year in 2007 doing an internship with WHO. Never been Saudi but In’sha’Allah I hope to.

I live in London, went back to school and currently studying nursing. I previously studied International Relation with Third World studies and worked for Red Cross, WHO and other NGO’s for 8 years. Wanted to do something different.

Travelled around some parts of Africa after finishing uni, doing volunteering work but also for pleasure. Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Congo, Durban and Cape Town in S Africa. Would love to do more of Africa. Zanzibar and Tanzania are home to me, travelled around them ever since I was a kid with my family. Did Kenya once when I was a child with my family, we went to Malindi for a family holiday.

I LOVE travelling and extreme sports! Like I literally LIVE for it! Any chance I get, I’ll be on a plane or off a plane in some cases.

Did 9 weeks backpacking with 7 other girls around Thailand (which was absolutely AMAZING), 5 went home after two weeks. The other two girls and I carried on to Myanmar and Cambodia then back to Thailand for another week of island hopping before getting back to London.

Travelled around Australia, New Zealand and Fiji for 6 months.

Been to Nice, Lyon, Montpellier, Marseille and Bordeaux.

Within UK, Scotland (in love with the Scottish people and the beauty of their country), Wales, Bath, around the Cotswolds, lived in Lancashire for a year.

Switzerland- Bern, Verbier, Zurich and Geneva (I go to Geneva every year visiting family and friends)

I have more places I want to visit, In’sha’Allah.

I am 35 (not ashamed of my age ). My aspirations are to travel more, spend even more time with my growing family, meet more people and learn about their cultures. Hope that I do not falter with my studies and not finish.

That is a lot, sorry. I tend to write as if I am talking to that person face to face.

Wcs
You're a sijui, yes I've heard about and met some. Unfortunately, discriminatory remark I apologise If you've ever faced such a thing. You've interned at WHO ( in Geneva I presume) :ooh:
You studied International relations and now Nursing :ooh:
You've worked for competitive and well known NGO's :ooh:
You've been all over Africa :ooh:
YOU BACKPACKED IN SOUTH EAST ASIA :ooh:
YOU WENT TO THE FIJI (I'M NOW LOSING MY MIND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO GOT THE PACIFIC :banderas:) :ooh:
I'VE BEEN TO LYON
I WAS BORN IN GENEVA!!
OMG MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASHALLAH
SUCH AN ACOMPLISHED INDIVDUAL
DON'T WORRY YOU'RE PRETTY YOUNG YET EMBARKED ON A CAREER WENT AROUND THE WORLD AND NOW ANOTHER CAREER :ooh:

Wcs
You're a sijui, yes I've heard about and met some. Unfortunately, discriminatory remark I apologise If you've ever faced such a thing. You've interned at WHO ( in Geneva I presume) :ooh:
You studied International relations and now Nursing :ooh:
You've worked for competitive and well known NGO's :ooh:
You've been all over Africa :ooh:
YOU BACKPACKED IN SOUTH EAST ASIA :ooh:
YOU WENT TO THE FIJI (I'M NOW LOSING MY MIND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO GOT THE PACIFIC :banderas:) :ooh:
I'VE BEEN TO LYON
I WAS BORN IN GENEVA!!
OMG MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASHALLAH
SUCH AN ACOMPLISHED INDIVDUAL
DON'T WORRY YOU'RE PRETTY YOUNG YET EMBARKED ON A CAREER WENT AROUND THE WORLD AND NOW ANOTHER CAREER :ooh:
Seriously?! Dude, that’s so random. The thread I reply to is from someone who was born in one of my favourite cities in the world.

Don’t worry about the sijui remark! It never dazed me nor does it faze my younger siblings, my nephews and nieces (some who are mixed race) to be called a sijui or fish and chips. It’s not something that we particularly pay attention to.

Thank you so much, I strive to be someone that my parents and grandparents (illahi aa u naxaaristo) can be proud of.

The travelling I had to fight for but Alhamdulilah I am so happy that I did! It’s something that most of my family fought against but in the end, I did what I had to do for myself. If you ever get a chance to travel to Fiji or anywhere that you wanted to go to, please go. The experience that you have is indescribable and also mind blowing.

I am planning to go to Vanuatu and surrounding Pacific Islands. Then off to Peru, Ecuador, Argentina and Brazil but still saving up for that :/

Seriously?! Dude, that’s so random. The thread I reply to is from someone who was born in one of my favourite cities in the world.

Don’t worry about the sijui remark! It never dazed me nor does it faze my younger siblings, my nephews and nieces (some who are mixed race) to be called a sijui or fish and chips. It’s not something that we particularly pay attention to.

Thank you so much, I strive to be someone that my parents and grandparents (illahi aa u naxaaristo) can be proud of.

The travelling I had to fight for but Alhamdulilah I am so happy that I did! It’s something that most of my family fought against but in the end, I did what I had to do for myself. If you ever get a chance to travel to Fiji or anywhere that you wanted to go to, please go. The experience that you have is indescribable and also mind blowing.

I am planning to go to Vanuatu and surrounding Pacific Islands. Then off to Peru, Ecuador, Argentina and Brazil but still saving up for that :/
hahahahahahhahahahaha, Geneva is super awesome I was born and raised there. But quite far from the inner city I lived near the border. Illahay jannada ha ka soo qaado waalidka. They would probably have been proud of you. Omg you had to fight for it awww, I truly want to travel the world as well, my parents won't stop me but I don't want to upset them. Never been abroad by myself, Never been to another city by myself even. Vanatu, WoW there's a small muslim community there btw. Latin America sounds super awesome, go for it have a nice trip and stay safe.

hahahahahahhahahahaha, Geneva is super awesome I was born and raised there. But quite far from the inner city I lived near the border. Illahay jannada ha ka soo qaado waalidka. They would probably have been proud of you. Omg you had to fight for it awww, I truly want to travel the world as well, my parents won't stop me but I don't want to upset them. Never been abroad by myself, Never been to another city by myself even. Vanatu, WoW there's a small muslim community there btw. Latin America sounds super awesome, go for it have a nice trip and stay safe.

That’s the thing, isn’t it? We are all so scared/worried in upsetting our parents, and that’s even before we even have a conversation with them. I used to make assumptions about situations and get myself so agitated that I would literally blow up before my parents even said yay or nay.

My mother is one of the strongest women that I know and she always said to me to ‘take a deep breath, collect your thoughts and to always be mindful of how you talk to people’.

It’s been my mama’s way of calming my mind. And when my travelling plans came to fruition, my mom’s advice was my saving grace. I used it to get my entire family on board by simply calming them down, answer all their questions and calm their fears as best as I could. And by making sure that I always answer when they call.

As for the ‘illahi aa uu naxariisto’, that’s for my grandparents. My parents are both still alive, Alhamdulilah

Can I ask how old you are? Travelling not something you particularly care for?

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
Welcome Siju brother or sister , we are 2000 of your own brothers and sister , you are more welcome abaayo to Somalispot and we realy appreciate your Somalism:comeon:

That’s the thing, isn’t it? We are all so scared/worried in upsetting our parents, and that’s even before we even have a conversation with them. I used to make assumptions about situations and get myself so agitated that I would literally blow up before my parents even said yay or nay.

My mother is one of the strongest women that I know and she always said to me to ‘take a deep breath, collect your thoughts and to always be mindful of how you talk to people’.

It’s been my mama’s way of calming my mind. And when my travelling plans came to fruition, my mom’s advice was my saving grace. I used it to get my entire family on board by simply calming them down, answer all their questions and calm their fears as best as I could. And by making sure that I always answer when they call.

As for the ‘illahi aa uu naxariisto’, that’s for my grandparents. My parents are both still alive, Alhamdulilah

Can I ask how old you are? Travelling not something you particularly care for?
AHHHHH Sorry, I thought you said your parents passed away :snoop: how embarrasing.
I'm 19 and currently in Uni. I would really love to travel, but I've never left the country by myself. When I was younger, I used to say I want to become a journalist and to travel the world. My family would laugh and say '' you better have mehrem ready'':stopit:
I used to watch a lot of travel docs, foreign films, read travel brochures at that time.lol.
Mashallah what an amazing parent.

AHHHHH Sorry, I thought you said your parents passed away :snoop: how embarrasing.
I'm 19 and currently in Uni. I would really love to travel, but I've never left the country by myself. When I was younger, I used to say I want to become a journalist and to travel the world. My family would laugh and say '' you better have mehrem ready'':stopit:
I used to watch a lot of travel docs, foreign films, read travel brochures at that time.lol.
Mashallah what an amazing parent.

Aah don’t worry, sis! No harm no foul. You are still very young, enjoy your studies and time with your loved ones. And In’sha’Allah you will have the time to travel whether it’s by yourself or with a mahram.

Is it fear, anxiety or lack of confidence that stopped you from travelling alone?

To tell you the truth, fear and anxiety discouraged me from travelling when I was 18/19 years old.

They stemmed from watching movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacres, Hostel, Vacancy and so on. My imagination went buck wild!!

It took me a long time to find that confidence to do what I have always loved. Going to new countries, meeting new people, learning about the history and culture of other people.

Going to leave you with one of my favourite quotes and it’s by Hans Christian Andersen.
“To move, to breathe, to fly, to float,
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of lands remote,
To travel is to live.”

I hope and wish for you to have that chance. The chance that the above quote simply and beautifully expresses, In’sha’Allah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending