Neo-colonialist Markus Ho*ehne messaged me.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
This guy has no shame, kulahaa “waraabe cadde”.

:dead:

C6C85090-1188-474B-A24D-3E11062BAFFB.jpeg
459E381C-2AB0-4194-870F-6583986B331F.jpeg

Read this article @Alhazred @IPushFatKids

I did see one lie told.

Just because you are a Somali doesn't entitle you to be a Somali scholar by birth right. He is dead on that there is a dearth of serious Somali scholars who put in the work and produce scholarship material. If you disagree please post these individuals linkedins and their dissertations. I can't believe Somali's are complaining about Somali scholars being predominantly cadaan, whats stopping Somalis from being scholars and not uber drivers?

Screenshot-2.jpg

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I did see one lie told.

Just because you are a Somali doesn't entitle you to be a Somali scholar by birth right. He is dead on that there is a dearth of serious Somali scholars who put in the work and produce scholarship material. If you disagree please post these individuals linkedins and their dissertations. I can't believe Somali's are complaining about Somali scholars being predominantly cadaan, whats stopping Somalis from being scholars and not uber drivers?

View attachment 208775

Hundreds of Somali scholars, mostly Western educated wrote a petition in response to him.

The problem is that Somali history has always been written by people like him. They bring their biases as Westerners into what is supposed to be an impartial analysis of our culture.

He condescendingly told Somalis arguing with him that they’ll go back to their regular tribalism than be mad at him.

This whole issue started from a Somali university research journal having no Somali directors.

This is despite there being an existing Somali-run research journal based in the US.

Markus saying that there’s no “Somali scholars” is bullshit. There are dozens but they get passed over in favour of people like him.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Hundreds of Somali scholars, mostly Western educated wrote a petition in response to him.

The problem is that Somali history has always been written by people like him. They bring their biases as Westerners into what is supposed to be an impartial analysis of our culture.

He condescendingly told Somalis arguing with him that they’ll go back to their regular tribalism than be mad at him.

This whole issue started from a Somali university research journal having no Somali directors.

This is despite there being an existing Somali-run research journal based in the US.

Markus saying that there’s no “Somali scholars” is bullshit. There are dozens but they get passed over in favour of people like him.

The cadaan scholars are better than the Somali scholars. The quality of work produced by the Somali scholars is of low quality, most are unreadable. Many of them are outright liars, or biased in favor of their clan or region.

The only Somali scholars worth reading are either dead (Said Samatar) or write infrequently (Abdi Ismail Samatar). There are almost no Somali scholars of Markus Hoehne's caliber.

You can cry about it but it is fact.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The cadaan scholars are better than the Somali scholars. The quality of work produced by the Somali scholars is of low quality, most are unreadable. Many of them are outright liars, or biased in favor of their clan or region.

The only Somali scholars worth reading are either dead (Said Samatar) or write infrequently (Abdi Ismail Samatar). There are almost no Somali scholars of Markus ***hne's caliber.

You can cry about it but it is fact.

I already wrote a thread about this.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
I already wrote a thread about this.

Politically correct bullshit. The level of scholarship among cadaan scholars is objectively superior to the scholarship of Somali scholars. You can make as many excuses for that as you want, but it is the bare truth.

I have many western works of the late 19th century on Somalia and they are fairly accurate.
You should be grateful that Richard Burton wrote that book because there are no Somali written books from that time.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Politically correct bullshit. The level of scholarship among cadaan scholars is objectively superior to the scholarship of Somali scholars. You can make as many excuses for that as you want, but it is the bare truth.

I have many western works of the late 19th century on Somalia and they are fairly accurate.
You should be grateful that Richard Burton wrote that book because there are no Somali written books from that time.

Yes, one of the most acclaimed books in the 20th century political theory or cultural academia is “political correct garbage”.

You’re an intellectual lightweight.

But you’re right, I should be more grateful to Sir Richard Burton.

I’ll be grateful that he wrote the handbook to colonise Somalia.

I’ll be grateful that he dismissed the idea that mosquitoes cause malaria as superstition but then an cadaan received a Nobel prize for it.

You like these cadaan scholars because they give you FKD material. You enthusiastically read their books to find a FKD point to use not knowing that they’re insulting your ethnicity.

But no, you consider differing Somali tribes to be different ethnicities despite the overwhelming consensus being that Somalis are one ethnic group.

You don’t give a f*ck about academics or scholarship. You care about qabyalaad and a condescending cadaan gives you enough fuel for you continue your agenda.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Yes, one of the most acclaimed books in the 20th century political theory or cultural academia is “political correct garbage”.

You’re an intellectual lightweight.

But you’re right, I should be more grateful to Sir Richard Burton.

I’ll be grateful that he wrote the handbook to colonise Somalia.

I’ll be grateful that he dismissed the idea that mosquitoes cause malaria as superstition but then an cadaan received a Nobel prize for it.

You like these cadaan scholars because they give you FKD material. You enthusiastically read their books to find a FKD point to use not knowing that they’re insulting your ethnicity.

But no, you consider differing Somali tribes to be different ethnicities despite the overwhelming consensus being that Somalis are one ethnic group.

You don’t give a f*ck about academics or scholarship. You care about qabyalaad and a condescending cadaan gives you enough fuel for you continue your agenda.

Orientalism deals with how the West came to write about the civilizations of Asia and North Africa. It does not really apply to how the West came to write about Sub Saharan Africa.

Btw, it is an objective fact that Jiddu, Garre, Tunni, Dabarre, Mirifle and Maxaa Tiri speakers are different ethnic groups. I make the further argument that Maxaa Tiri speakers can also be subdivided, but that is more of an informed opinion.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Orientalism deals with how the West came to write about the civilizations of Asia and North Africa. It does not really apply to how the West came to write about Sub Saharan Africa.

Btw, it is an objective fact that Jiddu, Garre, Tunni, Dabarre, Mirifle and Maxaa Tiri speakers are different ethnic groups. I make the further argument that Maxaa Tiri speakers can also be subdivided, but that is more of an informed opinion.

1. Somalia would apply to Orientalism as similar to pre-colonial Asia and Nth Africa, it was dominated by Islamic empires (Ajuuran, MJ, Hobyo etc), well travelled by explorers and was historically well documented in comparison to SSA.

2. My point about ethnicity relates to Hawiye, Darood, Isaaq etc. There is no credible academic argument to make that were distinct ethnicities apart from FKD.

Gokboru

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
The guy spent countless years trekking in the hot scorching desert, chewed khat with Somalis , learned their way I think it is safe to say the guy put in the work. I am not sure about anything else but one thing is right he put in the time whilst the so called Somali scholars haven’t

reer

VIP
Orientalism deals with how the West came to write about the civilizations of Asia and North Africa. It does not really apply to how the West came to write about Sub Saharan Africa. Btw, it is an objective fact that Jiddu, Garre, Tunni, Dabarre, Mirifle and Maxaa Tiri speakers are different ethnic groups. I make the further argument that Maxaa Tiri speakers can also be subdivided, but that is more of an informed opinion.
i think you are underestimating the 70s and 80s era of enforced linguistic homogeneity where only af maxaa was archived and nationalized. af jiddu af garre(oromo dialect) and the swahili dialects of af bajun chimini mushunguli etc will not gain prominence. and af maay will become more diluted with urbanization.

I see no wrong. He's scholarship about Somalis is 2nd only to I.M Lewis. I failed to see any note worthy Somali scholars of his calibre. Pinpoint which part of his desertions that you don't agree with and post Somali scholars who published materials that's even close to him in terms of quality, depth and many layers he covered.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Just look at the petition response to him by Somali academics.

Or just the Bildhaan journal, a Somali-run Somali studies journal.
Post 10 Somali scholars that are on par with Markus. I read Between Somaliland and Puntland, it was very good. If there any Somali scholars with that kind of work I would like to see it.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Post 10 Somali scholars that are on par with Markus. I read Between Somaliland and Puntland, it was very good. If there any Somali scholars with that kind of work I would like to see it.

Read the Bildhaan journal, it’s a Somali-studies journal based in the US.

They have a lot articles especially on the SYL and trusteeship period as well as profiles on independence leaders.

Read the Bildhaan journal, it’s a Somali-studies journal based in the US.

They have a lot articles especially on the SYL and trusteeship period as well as profiles on independence leaders.

This journal exists for 20 years and all it has to show for are 10 sub bar articles revolving around trivial topics. You indirectly proved our point citing this underwhelming collection of which also contains Ajnabis.

Brake your Somali pride for a second and read one of them. They don't come close to Markus thesis.