"Negative views of Russia mainly limited to western liberal democracies, poll shows"

Negative views of Russia mainly limited to western liberal democracies, poll shows​

The sharp polarisation between mainly western liberal democracies and the rest of the world in perceptions of Russia has been laid bare in an annual global poll of attitudes towards democracy.

Within Europe, 55% of those surveyed for the Alliance of Democracies said they were in favour of cutting economic ties with Russia due to Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, whereas in Asia there was a majority against, and in Latin America opinion was evenly split.

Negative views of Russia are largely confined to Europe and other liberal democracies. Positive views of Russia have been retained in China, Indonesia, Egypt, Vietnam, Algeria, Morocco, Malaysia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

The annual Democracy Perception Index, carried out after the invasion of Ukraine, covers 52 highly populated countries in Asia, Latin America, the US and Europe.

Majorities in a total of 20 countries thought economic ties with Russia should not be cut due to the war in Ukraine. They included Greece, Kenya, Turkey, China, Israel, Egypt, Nigeria, Indonesia, South Africa, Vietnam, Algeria, the Philippines, Hungary, Mexico, Thailand, Morocco, Malaysia, Peru, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia. Colombians were evenly split.

By contrast, among the 31 countries that favoured cutting ties, 20 were in Europe.

Russia has done some criminal stuff. I don't want to side with Russia but I can't get myself to perceive Russia as a threat in the same way as the US. US and Russia have both done criminal stuff.... but US seems way more insane. I'm sure the Russian leadership is corrupt but I think the population has more sense. The US is out to push its degenerate values on the entire world.... I don't think Russia is out to force its values outside of Eastern Europe. I can't picture anyone trying to push Russian values on me and I don't even know what that would mean. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm in the West. But I can't Russia being the bigger bad guy unless I'm in Eastern Europe. The US on the other hand is a menace to the entire world.

edit: then on the other hand, Russia backs the Iranian octopus of evil- Houthis, hezbushaytaan, Assad regime, etc......... I despise both of them but wonder if Russia is slightly less of an international menace.

Trending