Mogadishu International Book Fair resumes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The somali literary festival went on today.

Some key info on the event and why it was conducted and also the comment from the chairperson

Need

And as if to borrow from the literary giant and Nobel Laureate, Elie Wiesel who observed, ‘Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no society, no future,’ Diini warns Somali’s cultural memory is bound to disappear unless Somalis themselves document their culture either through books, films or any other avenue available.

To keep the somali narrative alive

“Most of the writers we now have are in their 70s and ideally would not have a long way to go as the young people. We are therefore working to nurture young writers who can keep the Somali narrative alive into the future.” Diini.

Literary and cultural events

Diini says they intend to develop literary and cultural events throughout the year which can provide a platform for young writers and promote a reading culture among the youth.

Calling for construction of libraries and cultural centres

But doing this alone is no mean feat. Diini calls for the involvement of the government by facilitating the construction of libraries, cultural centres and public spaces so that more opportunities for artists and writers can be created.

Pictures of the Crowd and Stand

CNUKqeRUcAASBOR.jpg

CNUr-6JWsAAbM7P.jpg

CNUsBegWUAA_05b.jpg

CNUsB0hWsAAhTSx.jpg

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Some will comment that these types of events are for privileged Somalis, but I still think it's a step in the right direction. We need to keep our language alive.

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Beautiful and Somali enriching event, we can even see some books that were banned in Somaliland like Dirkii Sacmaalladda. May God keep showering the Somalis with more wisdom.

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Why was it banned
They say the book contained some insults towards some clans. The man is Habar Yoonis, Isaaq himself and criticized also his own in the book, which they couldn't handle. You know the usual inferiority complex gibberish(We're from Arabia).

Beautiful and Somali enriching event, we can even see some books that were banned in Somaliland like Dirkii Sacmaalladda. May God keep showering the Somalis with more wisdom.

My uncles book ciisman kenadid was banned in some puntland regions as well for the same reasons.

May the youth carry the Great promise of the future and continue the generational knowledge!

They say the book contained some insults towards some clans. The man is Habar Yoonis, Isaaq himself and criticized also his own in the book, which they couldn't handle. You know the usual inferiority complex gibberish(We're from Arabia).

This book also was banned for the same exact reason.
6pnfr5.jpg

It was making fun of the myth of clan geneologies!

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
We the youth , we need a revolution, those elders and their outdated minds need to MOVE!

That's how I feel , I hope there are more Somalis who feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending