Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie Madoff

Afhayeenka SL
VIP
Reuters) - Minneapolis police chief Janee Harteau resigned on Friday at the request of the city's mayor, who said that she and the community had lost confidence in Harteau following the fatal police shooting of an unarmed Australian woman.

The death of Sydney native Justine Damond, 40, from a single gunshot wound to the abdomen fired through the open window of a police patrol car, has outraged her family members and the Australian public. Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has called it "shocking" and "inexplicable."

Mayor Betsy Hodges said in a written statement that she and Harteau agreed on Friday that Harteau would step aside.

"I've lost confidence in the Chief's ability to lead us further - and from the many conservations I've had with people around our city, especially this week, it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well," Hodges said in the statement.

A press conference Hodges called to discuss the personnel change was interrupted by a group of protesters calling for her to resign, a witness video posted on YouTube showed.

"We don’t want you as our mayor of Minneapolis anymore," a male protester in the video yelled as Hodges nodded slowly and tried repeatedly to resume her remarks but was drowned out.

"Your leadership has been very ineffective. Your police department has terrorized us enough," he said.

Damond, who was living in Minneapolis and engaged to be married, had called police about a possible sexual assault in her neighborhood just before midnight on Saturday. She was shot as she approached the driver's side of Mohamed Noor's and Matthew Harrity's patrol car.

Harteau's resignation came a day after she told reporters during her first news conference following Damond's death that the shooting violated department training and procedures and that the victim "didn't have to die."

"Last Saturday's tragedy, as well as some other recent incidents, have caused me to engage in deep reflection," she said in a statement. "Despite the MPD's many accomplishments under my leadership over these years and my love for the city, I have to put the communities we serve first."

According to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Harrity told investigators that Damond approached the squad car immediately after he was startled by a loud noise and that Noor, who was in the passenger seat, fired his weapon through the open driver's-side window, striking Damond.
Noor has refused to be interviewed by the agency, which is conducting the investigation.

The police department said on Friday that bureau investigators had interviewed a person who was bicycling in the area immediately before the shooting and watched as the officers provided medical assistance to Damond. No further details were provided.

Hodges said Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo would become police chief, and the department's website on Friday evening had been updated to reflect it.

Harteau, a 30-year veteran of the department, was the first woman to lead it and is also openly gay. She was criticized for the department's handling of the fatal 2015 shooting of 24-year-old black man Jamar Clark, who was unarmed.

The shooting of Clark touched off protests in Minneapolis at a time of fierce national debate over the use of excessive force by police, especially against black people.

Hundreds of people also took to the streets of Minneapolis to protest Damond's shooting.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minnesota-police-idUSKBN1A62U2

Apollo

VIP
Stupid move. A month from now when the hype inevitably dissipates she could have continued her work without the intense public scrutiny.

He deserve better job, because he earned MBA Master of Business Administration ,they give him low job cop , and experienced racism in his name Noor Mohamed Somali muslim he can not get job expt police or Taxi driver

Last edited:
Poor guy. Wish I was on the jury, I would vote not guilty. Poor guy needs a go fund me page. That woman came up to him in the dark, he was afraid for his life.

Justice for Mohamed Nuur!

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Who seen the mayor's press conference yesterday?

The BLM protestors that were after Noor's head took over the room and forced her to run out the building.

They were pissed at her for making the police chief resign.

Today she was forced to tell the media that she wasn't planning to resign... which most say before resigning.

One drunk move by a Somali cop and the whole political landscape of the region shuffles.

We already have Michelle Bachman and her type coming over to stir some more shit up.

Won't be surprised if this somehow ends up with some geopolitical repercussions if it gets any bigger.

Doofaar if you're reading this (let's be honest he is) please just plead guilty and instead of dragging us down with you.

Every Somali that was planning to run for office in the state is probably rethinking it because of you.

Somalis that are applying for jobs atm are probably getting rejected just because it's too much of a sensitive time to hire a Somali.

Who seen the mayor's press conference yesterday?

The BLM protestors that were after Noor's head took over the room and forced her to run out the building.

They were pissed at her for making the police chief resign.

Today she was forced to tell the media that she wasn't planning to resign... which most say before resigning.

One drunk move by a Somali cop and the whole political landscape of the region shuffles.

We already have Michelle Bachman and her type coming over to stir some more shit up.

Won't be surprised if this somehow ends up with some geopolitical repercussions if it gets any bigger.

Doofaar if you're reading this (let's be honest he is) please just plead guilty and instead of dragging us down with you.

Every Somali that was planning to run for office in the state is probably rethinking it because of you.

Somalis that are applying for jobs atm are probably getting rejected just because it's too much of a sensitive time to hire a Somali.

You need a slap across the face. Stop being a coward, and get it together. Stand by your fellow Somali.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
You need a slap across the face. Stop being a coward, and get it together. Stand by your fellow Somali.

A Somali recently got charged for rape in Europe.

Should I stand by him?

Either you're trolling or he's part of your clan.

I ain't going to stand behind a killer just because he's Somali.

It's the same thing you guys complain about when cadaan support their retarded trigger happy cops.

Should I stand by him?

It's the same thing you guys complain about when cadaan support their retarded trigger happy cops.

Thats a false equivalency. That guy is a degenerate and should be locked up. This a police officer doing his job, he made a mistake. White police officers are racist, look up the KKK take over the police forces across the US. Nuur made a mistake. If the white officer in Cleveland, who killed a 12 years black boy can walk free, then you are damn
right I will stand by Nuur.

Why shouldn't we be like the whites? They control the world right now by standing together. Us Somalis should do the same.

Justice for Nuur!

Should I stand by him?

I don't stand by Noor because I agree with his actions. I stand by him because of racist, Islamophobic scapegoating by cognitively dissonant cadaans who will back a white cop if he guns down an entire school of kids, but as soon as a Somali/Muslim makes the same mistake, they're already preparing to lynch him.

This issue is bigger than Noor and the woman that was shot. This points to a complete and utter incompetence across America and it's police institutions. There is something wrong when a cops first response is to shoot and kill, no matter the circumstances. This points to poor training and vetting procedures. Why are there so many cowardly and emotionally unstable cops?

I will not allow for a Somali to be turned into a scapegoat and sacrificial lamb for decades of police incompetence, corruption and institutional racism.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Thats a false equivalency. That guy is a degenerate and should be locked up. This a police officer doing his job, he made a mistake. White police officers are racist, look up the KKK take over the police forces across the US. Nuur made a mistake. If the white officer in Cleveland, who killed a 12 years black boy can walk free, then you are damn
right I will stand by Nuur.

Why shouldn't we be like the whites? They control the world right now by standing together. Us Somalis should do the same.

Justice for Nuur!

If he had more things going for him in his defence I'd be saying blue
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
lives matter.

However it's a lost case and would hurt us as a collective more if we kept on supporting him.

Sounds harsh but I'd drop him to make lives for the other 300k Somali's in the US better.

I don't stand by Noor because I agree with his actions. I stand by him because of racist, Islamophobic scapegoating by cognitively dissonant cadaans who will back a white cop if he guns down an entire school of kids, but as soon as a Somali/Muslim makes the same mistake, they're already preparing to lynch him.

This issue is bigger than Noor and the woman that was shot. This points to a complete and utter incompetence across America and it's police institutions. There is something wrong when a cops first response is to shoot and kill, no matter the circumstances. This points to poor training and vetting procedures. Why are there so many cowardly and emotionally unstable cops?

I will not allow for a Somali to be turned into a scapegoat and sacrificial lamb for decades of police incompetence, corruption and institutional racism.

Nicely put. I agree, if all cops who shoot people are sent to jail , then Nuur also needs to be arrested . However, Nuur shouldn't be the only one to go to prison. They either all go to prison or nobody does.

If he had more things going for him in his defence I'd be saying blue
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
lives matter.

However it's a lost case and would hurt us as a collective more if we kept on supporting him.

Sounds harsh but I'd drop him to make lives for the other 300k Somali's in the US better.

Nope, we stick by him till the end. Do you know why AA in US are treated so bad? It's cause they are cowards, always ready to snitch to massa against one of their own. If AA's put a bullet in every cop who dared to shoot one of their own, none of this would've of happened. Instead they are crying about how black lives matter, how undignified! Your way of thinking is the cowards way, which only leads to slavery.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP

So you decided to support him because of principles.

You have to decide which is more important... campaigning against using Noor as a scapegoat or preventing all Somalis being used as scapegoats.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Nope, we stick by him till the end. Do you know why AA in US are treated so bad? It's cause they are cowards, always ready to snitch to massa against one of their own. If AA's put a bullet in every cop who dared to shoot one of their own, none of this would've of happened. Instead they are crying about how black lives matter, how undignified! Your way of thinking is the cowards way, which only leads to slavery.

Nope you got the wrong impression.

We should choose our battles instead of turning into dindus who always claim we're innocent.

So you decided to support him because of principles.

You have to decide which is more important... campaigning against using Noor as a scapegoat or preventing all Somalis being used as scapegoats.

They're already scapegoating Somalis. Hello? Wake up, Mcfly!
That rightwing nutjob in human disguise, Michelle Bachmann, is already blaming the Somali population in Minneapolis. They're already turning this case from just another police related homicide/brutality to a "cultural" problem. They're already painting Noor out to be some Somali Muslim terrorist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts