Mental Imagery

Where do you fall on the aphantasia scale?

• Total voters

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
I have hyperphantasia. It's more curse than a blessing. It's always nice struggling to define the boundaries between reality and one's own imagination on the daily.

I recently had a convo with a friend who sees nothing but darkness when he closes his eyes. I got pissed. The more people I ask, the more I realize I just have an incredibly noisy mind.

On the flip side, I've come to understand something that has confused me for the longest; the fluidity of reality. The ground, the air, the sky, the ocean, animals, etc -- to some people they are rigid things, unchangeable. The sky is blue today and it's always been blue. If I wanted to see a green sky, red ocean, and a talking tree, I could conjure that up easily but it's not based in reality. It could be real but it isn't. It's the could that's the trap.

I have hyperphantasia. It's more curse than a blessing. It's always nice struggling to define the boundaries between reality and one's own imagination on the daily.

I recently had a convo with a friend who sees nothing but darkness when he closes his eyes. I got pissed. The more people I ask, the more I realize I just have an incredibly noisy mind.

On the flip side, I've come to understand something that has confused me for the longest; the fluidity of reality. The ground, the air, the sky, the ocean, animals, etc -- to some people they are rigid things, unchangeable. The sky is blue today and it's always been blue. If I wanted to see a green sky, red ocean, and a talking tree, I could conjure that up easily but it's not based in reality. It could be real but it isn't. It's the could that's the trap.
hyperphantasia did this ever help in school? taking tests for example.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

My dear, or Huuno STOP SMOKING weed. Actually u can smoke a little but not over. Set a small potion for yourself. Your bi polar mind needs the weed stimulation, but don't over it.

Didn't realise there was a name for it, always just assumed I had an overactive imagination.
It really helped with Art and product design at school though. Especially with things like perceptive, colour and manipulating 3D objects.

Overall it's a ball ache though, particularly when trying sleep at night.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Didn't realise there was a name for it, always just assumed I had an overactive imagination.
It really helped with Art and product design at school though. Especially with things like perceptive, colour and manipulating 3D objects.

Overall it's a ball ache though, particularly when trying sleep at night.

Sleeping is the biggest chore. Wallahi how do you even sleep when you got netflix playing in your head.

Sleeping is the biggest chore. Wallahi how do you even sleep when you got netflix playing in your head.
Without listening to a podcast, sound tracks of rain or just something, I legit can't get a wink of sleep. I'd say it's more of a blessing than a curse though.

Last edited:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
To those who have hyperphantasia, can you guys hear your thoughts? I think it all boils down to visual thinking vs verbal thinking?
Hyperphantasia=Visual thinker
Aphantasia=Monologue thinker
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Struggleville. I can't "force" myself to visualize stuff, but I do it unconsciously. I tried to visualize the cat in the pic but I couldn't do it lol. I have constant inner monologue, though.

I remember @YourBroMoe saying that he has aphantasia and inner monologues as well.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
To those who have hyperphantasia, can you guys hear your thoughts? I think it all boils down to visual thinking vs verbal thinking?
Hyperphantasia=Visual thinker
Aphantasia=Monologue thinker
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Struggleville. I can't "force" myself to visualize stuff, but I do it unconsciously. I tried to visualize the cat in the pic but I couldn't do it lol. I have constant inner monologue, though.

I remember @YourBroMoe saying that he has aphantasia and inner monologues as well.

That chart is interesting. I'm a bit confused on the difference between seeing the image in your mind vs outside your mind. Wouldn't that be the same thing?

If I close my eyes, I can see the cat doing a whole lot; running, jumping, speaking, whatever. As for thoughts, I just imagine a character speaking when my eyes are open. Images/vids with closed eyes.

The downside is a cluttered mind.