Maths project

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
We’re supposed to do a project for maths at my school once half term is over and this project is what a good chunk of your reference to universities are gonna look like. Obviously I want this project to be reflective of what I want to get into which is finance/accounting or possibly economics so I wanna do this project ok something along those lines or somewhere in that field. My current options I’m thinking about doing it on is:

the black scholes model
Dynamics of cryptocurrency

However I don’t wanna just stick to what I know I wanna diversify my options and learn something in the process . Anyone got any ideas on what I should do it about? Preferably something that has finance/stocks involved In it but also has a good amount of maths and calculations involved. Anything helps

We’re supposed to do a project for maths at my school once half term is over and this project is what a good chunk of your reference to universities are gonna look like. Obviously I want this project to be reflective of what I want to get into which is finance/accounting or possibly economics so I wanna do this project ok something along those lines or somewhere in that field. My current options I’m thinking about doing it on is:

the black scholes model

However I don’t wanna just stick to what I know I wanna diversify my options and learn something in the process . Anyone got any ideas on what I should do it about? Preferably something that has finance/stocks involved In it but also has a good amount of maths and calculations involved. Anything helps
You could do a topic on the origins of bitcoin, how it works, and its potential future usages. Bitcoin mining is also an interesting topic.

convincation

VIP
These are very helpful, thank you. I’ll look into both and choose which one I think would score me more points

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP

the black scholes model

I would not recommend cryptocurrency if it's to get into university. Crypto is still in its infancy and it's dismissed a lot of people as a meme. Someone might look at your application and say you aren't serious. I would recommend something mainstream along the lines of banking, interest rates, government borrowing and spending.

I would not recommend cryptocurrency if it's to get into university. Crypto is still in its infancy and it's dismissed a lot of people as a meme. Someone might look at your application and say you aren't serious. I would recommend something mainstream along the lines of banking, interest rates, government borrowing and spending.

Most people in higher education and finance acknowledge the use of blockchain technology and this is not a meme. Cryptocurrencies can be memes but it's not interchangeable with blockchain technology. Gary gensler the head of SEC himself taught courses on blockchain. This will be very big market in the future.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Most people in higher education and finance acknowledge the use of blockchain technology and this is not a meme. Cryptocurrencies can be memes but it's not interchangeable with blockchain technology. Gary gensler the head of SEC himself taught courses on blockchain. This will be very big market in the future.
I can't speak on blockchain but crypto is definitely considered a meme in that sphere. I wouldn't take that risk when dealing with college people.

Apollo

VIP
I think you should write a paper on Decentralized Finance. It has less of a stigma than 'crypto'.

Perhaps write something on Aave, UniSwap, or MakerDAO. All interesting economic experiments with no ties to crime nor memes.

The Ethereum ecosystem has the most interesting financial innovations.

Bourbaki

2021 CHESS CHAMP
THE MAGICIAN
I can't speak on blockchain but crypto is definitely considered a meme in that sphere. I wouldn't take that risk when dealing with college people.

100% Agree
Even if they don't think it's a meme they will acknowledge and respect someone with some understanding of mainstream economics like you said over someone who discusses cryptocurrency alone, as there are a lot of people who have an interest in crypto but not in finance generally.

@convincation
The Black Scholes model is a great choice for a finance related maths project. It's very important you have the basics of options theory down though, otherwise it's basically impossible to have a real understanding of what the model is about.

A book I highly recommend you look at is Options Volatility and Pricing by Sheldon Natenberg. It's a large book so you don't need to go through all of it but the first 8 chapters are good for getting a basic understanding down. There is also a chapter later on about the Black Scholes model which you should look at.

Here are 3 concepts which if you understand will mean you have a solid enough understanding of Options Theory to understand what the Black Scholes model is about:
Put-Call parity
Delta hedging
Options Greeks

Good luck!

convincation

VIP
100% Agree
Even if they don't think it's a meme they will acknowledge and respect someone with some understanding of mainstream economics like you said over someone who discusses cryptocurrency alone, as there are a lot of people who have an interest in crypto but not in finance generally.

@convincation
The Black Scholes model is a great choice for a finance related maths project. It's very important you have the basics of options theory down though, otherwise it's basically impossible to have a real understanding of what the model is about.

A book I highly recommend you look at is Options Volatility and Pricing by Sheldon Natenberg. It's a large book so you don't need to go through all of it but the first 8 chapters are good for getting a basic understanding down. There is also a chapter later on about the Black Scholes model which you should look at.

Good luck!
Thanks, I’ll look into it. Blavk sholes seems very interesting and is very finance oriented but it was one of the topics recommended by the school itself for finance students so I would bet majority of the class are already going to be doing it. I wanna stand out lol so I’m trying to find something that even most teachers wouldn’t know about!

convincation

VIP
I think you should write a paper on Decentralized Finance. It has less of a stigma than 'crypto'.

Perhaps write something on Aave, UniSwap, or MakerDAO. All interesting economic experiments with no ties to crime nor memes.

The Ethereum ecosystem has the most interesting financial innovations.
I’ve never heard of those but I’ll look into it

Bourbaki

2021 CHESS CHAMP
THE MAGICIAN
Thanks, I’ll look into it. Blavk sholes seems very interesting and is very finance oriented but it was one of the topics recommended by the school itself for finance students so I would bet majority of the class are already going to be doing it. I wanna stand out lol so I’m trying to find something that even most teachers wouldn’t know about!

I agree it is probably a popular topic but it is one I suspect a lot of people do superficially without having put any effort into understanding fundamentals about Options.

Apollo

VIP
I’ve never heard of those but I’ll look into it

The most interesting one is UniSwap. It has the potential to disrupt Nasdaq and similar stock exchanges when it scales and legal hurdles are overcome. UniSwap was also the first of its kind (first mover).

MakerDAO is also an interesting one and involves a lot of mathematics. The concept of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs) is also something interesting to write about.

convincation

VIP
I agree it is probably a popular topic but it is one I suspect a lot of people do superficially without having put any effort into understanding fundamentals about Options.
Your probably right, I’ll go full out research mode on it tomorrow and see if I should stay on the safe side and pick the black sholes model

Apollo

VIP
The traditional financial system is also full of scams and memes. Lol, stuff like GME and AMC are going up for no reason. Retail traders in TradFi are pumping and dumping zombie companies with high short interest.

convincation

VIP
100% Agree

@convincation

Here are 3 concepts which if you understand will mean you have a solid enough understanding of Options Theory to understand what the Black Scholes model is about:
Put-Call parity
Delta hedging
Options Greeks

Good luck!
I watched videos on all 3 of them and wallahi I understand 0% of any of them:deadrose:

couldn’t find the book

convincation

VIP
Blockchain technology could be an interesting topic to write about. It has many uses and is already being implemented in many industries. Also involves maths and finance.

I watched the videos and I think I have a decent understanding of how blockchain works now. Very intresting and definitely easy to understand but I don’t really see the maths in it

Trending