Masjid al-Qiblatayn, Oldest Musjid in Somaliweyn

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Located in Zelia, Awdal Somaliland. Built in 626 shortly after the hijra to the Aksum Empire and Berbera by Arab immigrants, it contains two mihrabs, one oriented to the north toward Mecca, and the other oriented to the northwest toward Jerusalem. This musjid is not only one of the oldest in Somaliweyn/Africa, it is also amongst the oldest in the Islamic world.

Timo Jareer and proud

Images of the musjid

C02Z5mtWQAAlzx1.jpg

14332599482_e2b993a092_b.jpg

IMG_7451.JPG

Reer Awdal have already made plans to restore it. However, they will bring in the archaeologists first to make sure nothing gets destroyed:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
great news glad to hear this historical site is getting restored its actually the third oldest mosque in the world and possibly the oldest in africa

and dates back to the hegira

Timo Jareer and proud

Reer Awdal have already made plans to restore it. However, they will bring in the archaeologists first to make sure nothing gets destroyed:

Alhumdullah the locals are re-building it, my great great paternal grandmother is from Saylac. Will visit there some time inshallah and make a trip to the musjid, pray in it, and take some shots.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
@Cauli any ideas on when it will be restored would love to see the masjid restored its a historical landmark and marks the moment islam came to somalia
becosue of this we know islam came to northern somalia first

@Cauli any ideas on when it will be restored would love to see the masjid restored its a historical landmark and marks the moment islam came to somalia
becosue of this we know islam came to northern somalia first

They were talking about it and stuff but not really sure exactly when. It's been approved and stuff by the local government and the district officials so we'll just have to wait and see but I'm sure by this year it will be complete.

Timo Jareer and proud

It wasn’t built by Arab immigrants but somali converts to Islam loool
Pretty sure it was Arabs since it would take a while to teach the locals how to built it. At most, the locals probably assisted the Arabs in creating it. Does not make sence if the Arabs did not make it.

Cityviews

The Prodigy
Pretty sure it was Arabs since it would take a while to teach the locals how to built it. At most, the locals probably assisted the Arabs in creating it. Does not make sence if the Arabs did not make it.

Dude half my family is from Zaylac, they built that masjid loool, plus next door to it is literally tombs of my ancestors , we built everything in that town. The only thing arabs suggested was to build make it face Jerusalem , because that was the qibla at the time. Stop spreading misinformation bro

Cityviews

The Prodigy
@Cauli they are building a fence to protect the historical site , afterwards they will restore it , my family is working closely with the locals in restoring the Masjid.

No rush, it will be done as soon as Allah wills it.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
@Cauli they are building a fence to protect the historical site , afterwards they will restore it , my family is working closely with the locals in restoring the Masjid.

No rush, it will be done as soon as Allah wills it.
good to hear it dont know why people think arabs built it in all honesty i dont think their where arabs in zeila or that the companions even lived their

it was all built by somali converts to islam, arabs stayed in massawa in ertirea a good 1 hour away from jedda

Fake, I've never found a reliable source on this besides hearsay by Somalis.

I mean an academic paper or verification