Maritime adjudication by ICJ: bad idea?

This all comes down to what were the maritime boundaries of Jubaland before and after the British gave it to Somalia Italiana

3 items to consider

1. First what were the maritime boundaries ex British Jubaland, after it was given to Italy

2. Then FGS/Wanlaweyn can only claim what the Italians claimed i.e. the end of GreaterSoomaliland irredentist claims on NFD

3.If the colonial border favors Kiinya you dont just lose the case. See item 1 and 2: you have to first give up all claims on NFD

I think it might be better to let this case remain in limbo until a strong government takes over Muqdisho. Just make sure its not not lost defacto. Then, support self determination movements in the eastern and northern counties of Kiinya. Be ready to mediate and still support NFD/Coast freedom

You can work out maritime disputes with the Soomali and Baantu Muslim communities after they are free from Nairobi

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
If there was a chance Kenya was going to win this they wouldn't keep begging to delay the case.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
I'm always impressed by how dumb you are @Gadhwayne. Taking the maritime case to the ICJ was one of the smartest things Xasan Culusow did as president. Somalia is almost guaranteed to win the case.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
what is this italian british stuff you are talking about sxb? Somalia will win the maritime case because we have xaq on our side :)

The case will be decided on whatever the colonial maritime boundariy was between Somalia Italian and British Kiinya

Im not sure what that border was was. I would worry about that first

The Law of the Sea favors FGS but the first hurdle is colonial borders

also keep in mind that Taanzaaniya and Kiinya uses the parallel of lattitude for their maritime border.

FGS might lose some waters because it takes less than 200 nautical miles before an equidistance line between NFD and JL migh run into the parallel of lattitide seperating Kiinyan waters from Taanzania i.e. ICJ might even ignore colonial borders in the name "fairness" to Kiinya, assuming colonial borders favor FGS

Again, who definitively knows the colonial borders of NFD-JL and do you trust ICJ to not set a new legal precedent because of Kiinyan-FGS equidistance line running into Tanzaaniya-Kiinya parallel of lattitude, before the 200 nautical miles

I'm always impressed by how dumb you are @Gadhwayne. Taking the maritime case to the ICJ was one of the smartest things Xasan Culusow did as president. Somalia is almost guaranteed to win the case.
what is this italian british stuff you are talking about sxb? Somalia will win the maritime case because we have xaq on our side :)

Last edited:

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
@Gadhwayne,

Brother the colonial borders are set and they arenโ€™t up for reinterpretation. The maps are accurate. Itโ€™s like Somalia going to the ICJ to get back NFD. It will simply not hold up. This is exactly the reason the case favors us :)

Trending

Latest posts