Macawiis is not Somali culture!! It's Asian peasant clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did the notion that "macawiis" is true Somali culture come from?

Somalis did adopt a lot of things from trading with others but it's wrong to call it authentic Somali cultural garments.

Sure, use it to sleep and whatever, but please, stop embarrassing us during cultural events by wearing outfits fishermen and other labourers wear.

Even Bengalis and other Asians (from where it comes) don't wear the LUNGI to a formal event!!!!

4.jpg

The lungi (/luŋɡi/) is a type of sarong, originating from the Indian subcontinent, and a traditional skirt-like garment worn around the waist in Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal. It is also known as longyi in Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar and Thailand.

7537.jpg

only-lungi.jpg

What's next?

Are Somali women going to wear Saris and paint a red dot on their forehead?

Let's not confuse culture with adopted fashions.

Unless YOUR ethnic group invented a certain outfit, it's NOT your culture!

Macawiis is actually Somali, Idk what you're talking about but you're totally wrong.

If you see our old historical photos, you would know every region either wore white or multi colour ones like we wear today.

Also, every culture evolves and take from others. Idk why you're making it a big issue.

Yeah. I agree with Ayubi.

It might be Somali or Indonesian or something else. Macawiis is also used in Oman and Yemen. People in Tanzania and Mozambique also use them. It is most likely Somali, Indian or Indonesian. I guess it is Somali cause we had trade relations with all theese nations.

Macawiis is actually Somali, Idk what you're talking about but you're totally wrong.

If you see our old historical photos, you would know every region either wore white or multi colour ones like we wear today.

Also, every culture evolves and take from others. Idk why you're making it a big issue.

It's ADOPTED by Somalis, it's not truly Somali so it should not be displayed at cultural gatherings.

For example, Arabs wear western clothes all the time but they don't claim it's their culture!!!

They don't wear it during their cultural dances!!

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
If cadaan people can claim kilts as part of their culture imma claim macwiis as somali culture still going to wear it to tesco.

:manny:

Yeah. I agree with Ayubi.

It might be Somali or Indonesian or something else. Macawiis is also used in Oman and Yemen. People in Tanzania and Mozambique also use them. It is most likely Somali, Indian or Indonesian. I guess it is Somali cause we had trade relations with all theese nations.

Yes, Somalis wear it like they wear Western clothing but my argument is that it's not CULTURAL.

Unless Somalis invented it, it's not ours truly.

We adopted it from Indians.

It's ADOPTED by Somalis, it's not truly Somali so it should not be displayed at cultural gatherings.

For example, Arabs wear western clothes all the time but they don't claim it's their culture!!!

Nobody knows who originally created it. I would say it is a common wear for people in the Indian Ocean.

Where did the notion that "macawiis" is true Somali culture come from?

Somalis did adopt a lot of things from trading with others but it's wrong to call it authentic Somali cultural garments.

Sure, use it to sleep and whatever, but please, stop embarrassing us during cultural events by wearing outfits fishermen and other labourers wear.

Even Bengalis and other Asians (from where it comes) don't wear the LUNGI to a formal event!!!!

4.jpg
Ik somalis will wear others people culture cloths and claiming as their I dont even know if we have culture cloths for Males any more this is why I never like our culture
:jcoleno:

Nobody knows who originally created it. I would say it is a common wear for people in the Indian Ocean.

It's called a "Lungi", it's definitely from Asia and that's who Somalis buy it from!!

The lungi (/luŋɡi/) is a type of sarong, originating from the Indian subcontinent, and a traditional skirt-like garment worn around the waist in Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal. It is also known as longyi in Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar and Thailand.

Nah they Adopt it from India it is not somali culture

It's called a "Lungi", it's definitely from Asia and that's who Somalis buy it from!!

Honestly I don’t care if it is Somali or not. We use it. It became a part of our tradition. I am still not sure about the inventor and I think each Indian Ocean country can claim it.

You're totally wrong

Why do people think the macawiis is Indonesian in origin? I found absolutely no evidence for this claim whatsoever.

Many Somalis have a problem of trying to give credit to other people for elements of our culture.

You would never see a Yemeni or a Bengali say drop the macawiis because “its Somali” but I’m hearing this from you and many others.

Macawiis isn’t new and we used to wear it 100 years ago but it was white back then and multi colours like we use now

You would never see a Turk, persian, Pakistani, Berber or an Arab argue over where Turbans or the special type of hat they wear originated from because they simply don’t care so why should we care?

Macawiis and the koofi hat is as part of Somali culture just like its part of Indonesian, Bengali and Yemeni Culture.

Every culture borrowed ideas and customs from other cultures and it's natural, nothing to be ashamed of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts