Linguistics

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I've been wondering. does af Maay Maay have less loan words than Maxa Tiri. I've noticed that Maay Maay doesn't have the letters X, C, KH.

also correct me if I'm wrong but all KH words are loan words right.

This is actually a very good question. Strictly hypothetical as an example, if linguists claim greater loanwords from non-Somali East African languages in af Maay Maay and then we could see correlations with a possible greater admixture of some kind through historical conditions, replicate a similar process from a northern Somali dialect and compare the two. I'm neither a linguist nor a geneticist, but who knows, we can learn something by experimenting. I'm sure there is information we can keenly infer from. I'd imagine the result to be optional theories for historical population processes that would not necessarily give us more clarity but variety

Som

VIP
I've been wondering. does af Maay Maay have less loan words than Maxa Tiri. I've noticed that Maay Maay doesn't have the letters X, C, KH.

Afar, Beja and Maxaa tiri Somali are the only two major Cushitic language that have X,C and KH. Oromo doesn't have those sounds, same with agaw , sidaama and other languages. Actually even amharic which is a semitic language heavily influenced by cushitic languages has no X , C or Kh.
This could mean that original Cushitic languages didn't have these sounds and that standard somali later got these things because of arabic influence. I'm not sure if this is the case but it makes sense. If this true then we could guess that Af maay is an older form of somali with less arabic influence.
The modern somali people with the clan structure originated in the North and later moved to the south, the maay speaking people may be the first somalis to reach the South so this explains why they don't have the arabic like sounds.

Apollo

VIP
@Som @The alchemist

Rendille and Iraqw have those X / C / Kh sounds. I don't think it is from Arabic influence.

Probably just coincidental it disappeared or became less prominent in Maay.

Swedish and Norwegian are quite sing-songy, while Dutch and Swiss German are quite guttural/harsh sounding. Even closely related languages can sound quite different.

Som

VIP
@Som @The alchemist

Rendille and Iraqw have those X / C / Kh sounds. I don't think it is from Arabic influence.

Swedish and Norwegian are quite sing-songy, while Dutch and Swiss German are quite guttural/harsh sounding. Even closely related languages can sound quite different.
Wow didn't know they had that. Then I guess my theory isn't correct.
Is there anyway either through genetics or linguistics to establish which clans left northern somalia first?
Historically the first clan ever mentioned is Hawiye living in Merka kn 12-13th century

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Afar, Beja and Maxaa tiri Somali are the only two major Cushitic language that have X,C and KH. Oromo doesn't have those sounds, same with agaw , sidaama and other languages. Actually even amharic which is a semitic language heavily influenced by cushitic languages has no X , C or Kh.
This could mean that original Cushitic languages didn't have these sounds and that standard somali later got these things because of arabic influence. I'm not sure if this is the case but it makes sense. If this true then we could guess that Af maay is an older form of somali with less arabic influence.
The modern somali people with the clan structure originated in the North and later moved to the south, the maay speaking people may be the first somalis to reach the South so this explains why they don't have the arabic like sounds.
It could be that maay maay dropped these sounds. In many language dialects it is common for certain groups to do something called H-dropping were the H sound is dropped in English dialects. Maybe that could have happened to maay maay but it is unlikely considering many other cushitic languages don't have these sounds.

That's a language/dialect? :dwill:
Niggas are so foul that they call a whole dialect what did you say :dead::dead1::deadmanny::deadrose::deadosama::deadpeter:

@Som @The alchemist

Is Garre language a proto somali langue? Is af Garre closer to Somali than Rendile basically did the Garre saperate from ethnic Somalis last 1000 years?

Trending