Land of Punt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me be real here for a second. We have no proof that the Land of Punt was in modern Somalia. It might have been in the Horn, but we have no real evidence of this. It's all speculation created by a dumb ancient Egyptian myth about their affinity and likeness to these mysterious people from Punt. How can we be their ancestors when we genetics don't support this notion? Ancient Egyptians saying Punties were their ancestors is the equivalent to modern Macedonians believing that Alexander The Great was their ancestor. When in fact he was most probably Greek living in Macedonia, and these modern Macedonians are Slavs who arrived thousand years after his time.

And let me go a bit deeper. Let's say that the land of Punt was in the north of the Somali region. Why do we presume that we Somalis lived in that area that far back? We might have been one primitive tribe in Ethiopia like all others. Our ancestors didn't even build anything of significance, and this makes me believe that we were not that civilized as people.

Our connection to Land of Punt is nothing more than a myth, and to be more rational it's more likely it was in modern Sudan or Eritrea because Somalia is pretty far down south.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Let me be real here for a second. We have no proof that the Land of Punt was in modern Somalia. It might have been in the Horn, but we have no real evidence of this. It's all speculation created by a dumb ancient Egyptian myth about their affinity and likeness to these mysterious people from Punt. How can we be their ancestors when we genetics don't support this notion? Ancient Egyptians saying Punties were their ancestors is the equivalent to modern Macedonians believing that Alexander The Great was their ancestor. When in fact he was most probably Greek living in Macedonia, and these modern Macedonians are Slavs who arrived thousand years after his time.

And let me go a bit deeper. Let's say that the land of Punt was in the north of the Somali region. Why do we presume that we Somalis lived in that area that far back? We might have been one primitive tribe in Ethiopia like all others. Our ancestors didn't even build anything of significance, and this makes me believe that we were not that civilized as people.

Our connection to Land of Punt is nothing more than a myth, and to be more rational it's more likely it was in modern Sudan or Eritrea because Somalia is pretty far down south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_century_BC.

It is largely a myth tbh.

There are theories claiming the "Land of Punt" was on the Arabian side of the Red Sea, which would make more sense, since the Ancient Egyptians & other North Africans do descend from extremely ancient/pre-historic Eurasians that entered Africa from the Middle-East.

However, another possible theory is that it may have been a trading colony on the NorthEast African coast (Sudan & Eritrea) that was inhabited by Ancient Egyptian colonists that essentially looked like our Proto-Cushitic ancestors before they mixed with Proto-Nilotes that gave rise to Modern Cushites.

Last edited:

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
It is largely a myth tbh.

There are theories claiming the "Land of Punt" was on the Arabian side of the Red Sea, which would make more sense, since the Ancient Egyptians & other North Africans do descend from extremely ancient/pre-historic Eurasians that entered Africa from the Middle-East.

However, another possible theory is that it may have been a trading colony on the NorthEast African coast that was inhabited by Ancient Egyptian colonists that essentially looked like our ancestors before they mixed with Proto-Nilotes that gave rise to Modern Cushites.

I think the Somalis, Afars,Saho origins are different to Habesha. The Cushitic label does not cover that properly

I think the Somalis, Afars,Saho origins are different to Habesha. The Cushitic label does not cover that properly
Habeshas are Cushites; what sets them apart from other Cushites is that they have some Sabean admixture and the South Semitic/Sabean cultures(which is mixed with native Cushitic cultures) & languages they have.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
@SOMALI GENERAL relax its not in arabis that was proven false besides its already proven to be in the horn of africa they where likely our proto cushitic ancestors
whats we should do know is start aceological escavations of the entire region and discover more about punt

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Habeshas are Cushites; what sets them apart from other Cushites is that they have some Sabean admixture and the South Semitic/Sabean cultures(which is mixed with native Cushitic cultures) & languages they have.

That could be true. The problem is Somalis as a group are no more old than 2000 yrs old and the cushitic is something that Somalis never knew and only recently adopted. Cush is a biblical and the term should be dropped in favour for a Somali ancestor as our racial grouping

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
That could be true. The problem is Somalis as a group are no more old than 2000 yrs old and the cushitic is something that Somalis never knew and only recently adopted. Cush is a biblical and the term should be dropped in favour for a Somali ancestor as our racial grouping
i would disagree cush isnt something knew it was allways their just that somalis adopted arab ancestor myth instead

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
i would disagree cush isnt something knew it was allways their just that somalis adopted arab ancestor myth instead

No Somali elder have ever mentioned Cush, not even in islamic texts is this figure known. He is only mentioned in the bible as a son of Ham and in another place in the bible, as a descendant of Benjamin, son of Israa'il

pablo

Make Dhulos Great Again
The reason why the Egyptians believed they came from punt is because we are the same people, remember we are a nomadic people.

I don't think "Cushitic" is one thing, but a group of shared similar attributes across culture, linguistics, geographic proximity, and genetics. I doubt the Cushitic speaking peoples in ancient times moved as one organ. Just like the people in the Levant and middle east all had their tribes and borders, but had many similarities.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
No Somali elder have ever mentioned Cush, not even in islamic texts is this figure known. He is only mentioned in the bible as a son of Ham and in another place in the bible, as a descendant of Benjamin, son of Israa'il

the arabs regarded somalis as cushites and even called us cushites
The Cushitic-speaking peoples today comprise the Agaw, Oromo, Somali, Afar, and several other tribes, and were considered offspring of Cush in Masudi's Meadows of Gold from 947 AD
al masoudi an arab scholar sometimes refereed to as the herodetus of the arabs

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
I don't think "Cushitic" is one thing, but a group of shared similar attributes across culture, linguistics, geographic proximity, and genetics. I doubt the Cushitic speaking peoples in ancient times moved as one organ. Just like the people in the Levant and middle east all had their tribes and borders, but had many similarities.
the people in the middle east youre referring to are called semites after the
their ancestor shem the cushties are called cushites after their ancestor cush

they all either called themselves akkadian semites or assyrian semites or hebrew semites or just arabs like the majority of the muslim arab speaking middle east
arab itself is semetic or shem

the arabs regarded somalis as cushites and even called us cushites
The Cushitic-speaking peoples today comprise the Agaw, Oromo, Somali, Afar, and several other tribes, and were considered offspring of Cush in Masudi's Meadows of Gold from 947 AD
al masoudi an arab scholar sometimes refereed to as the herodetus of the arabs
I don't know if we are the offspring of Cush, but you are correct in that we belong to the same group.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
the people in the middle east youre referring to are called semites after the
their ancestor shem the cushties are called cushites after their ancestor cush

they all either called themselves akkadian semites or assyrian semites or hebrew semites or just arabs like the majority of the muslim arab speaking middle east
arab itself is semetic or shem

Hebrew Bible[edit]

A page from Elia Levita's 16th century Yiddish–Hebrew–Latin–German dictionary contains a list of nations, including the word "כושי" Cushite or Cushi, translated to Latin as "Aethiops" and into German as "Mor".
According to Genesis, Cush's other sons were Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabtechah.

The Book of Numbers 12:1 describes Moses as having married "a Cushite woman".

The rhetorical question "Can the Cushite change his skin?" in Jeremiah 13:23 implies brown skin color; also, the Septuagint uniformly translates Cush as Αἰθιοπία "Aithiopia."

Another person named Cush in the Hebrew Bible is a Benjamite who is mentioned only in Psalm 7, and is believed to be a follower of Saul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending