Lack of Somali male role models in high paying professional careers in the UK

Whats up my brothers and sisters, I hope you're all good. I am a 20 year old Law student at Uni. I'm just posting this out of curiosity and a bit of frustration. I know the Somali diaspora is (general speaking) young. By that I mean we're just getting settled in western countries and a large percentage of us are still first generation immigrants. But despite that, why the f*ck is it so hard to find male role models in well paying professional careers. I don't know about Scandinavia and the US but here in the UK it feels like something is missing. What do you guys think, I'm i being harsh or does anyone else share the same views as me?

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
  • media has ruined your chances of that. somali pirates etc
  • somali men would fit the gucci standards, not really commercial if you ask me
  • there is a lack but there is a busy market. stand out. and somalis will support you.
  • be the first male to go into the industry, not just in the uk

@The Return of The King I'm a Londoner and get where you're coming from. Reach out to your peers and also use Linkedin to connect with Somalis in your field.

Most Somalis avoid the legal field so it might take a while. Don't give up and eventually you will be mentoring Somalis in your field afew years down the line.

Boogie

Islam wins doesnt take Ls Long Live Somalia 🇸🇴
0c3.jpg

• media has ruined your chances of that. somali pirates etc
  • somali men would fit the gucci standards, not really commercial if you ask me
  • there is a lack but there is a busy market. stand out. and somalis will support you.
  • be the first male to go into the industry, not just in the uk
Yea, I intend to help my people as much as i can. So many people get finessed by shitty lawyers. Media representation is awful walahi, used to f*ck with me when i was younger.

Whats up my brothers and sisters, I hope you're all good. I am a 20 year old Law student at Uni. I'm just posting this out of curiosity and a bit of frustration. I know the Somali diaspora is (general speaking) young. By that I mean we're just getting settled in western countries and a large percentage of us are still first generation immigrants. But despite that, why the f*ck is it so hard to find male role models in well paying professional careers. I don't know about Scandinavia and the US but here in the UK it feels like something is missing. What do you guys think, I'm i being harsh or does anyone else share the same views as me?
I've never met a somali studying law, but there are plenty in the business and finance sector. Our women go into medicine and teaching :wow1:

Somalis have the herd mentality. If you find success in law, they'll want to jump on the badwagon too. Lead the way akh

Sol

?
There is a Somali professionals group on LinkedIn you'd be amazed to see the amount of Somalis who attended Oxbridge with no fanfare and those who have completed PhDs are abundant. So I'd suggest starting there if you want some connections. Also remember that bad news is always better than good news no one will post articles about Somali professionals because it doesn't sell

There is a Somali professionals group on LinkedIn you'd be amazed to see the amount of Somalis who attended Oxbridge with no fanfare and those who have completed PhDs are abundant. So I'd suggest starting there if you want some connections. Also remember that bad news is always better than good news no one will post articles about Somali professionals because it doesn't sell
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Interesting question.
Somali role models -
Most people stay or hang around their own individual cliques. As a prerequisite, your writing and speaking skills have to be on point, and the level of social awareness has to be off the charts. Most people who get promoted tend to be sychophants ( brown-nosers/asslickers), and constantly being in their presence is mentally draining.
Now, our cadaan counterparts get promoted to that managerial role/vp if they do the right things and generally have 3-4 years of experience with relative ease. The next level, director level requires someone to have significant experience 7-10 years and be nominated or vouched for by other directors or senior leaderhip team (SLT) which tend to be cadaan/asian for tech or cadaan for law. Understand?
The trouble and effort to go through to become a top director isnt worth it considering from a 6 figure pay check youll only earn like 60k after tax and national insurance. Ive seen how much shit these guys have to go through and i prefer to be sane.

Do you know the first FIRST generation of Somalis in America were very rich? It’s because during the time Siad Barre was in power education and merit were prioritized in Somali society. He didn’t care about Qabiil or nonsense like that he gave the job to the best man who was the most capable of doing the job even if he was from the “lowest” tribes. During the SNM Wars and Civil Wars that’s when Somalia became all about nepotism and tribalism and clan based government. That type of mentality finds a way to enter the minds of children. And it effects males the most. Somali women can be successful all they have to do is be pretty and that’s why the only successful Somali out there are models. Our culture doesn’t value hard work and determination.

GemState

36/21
VIP
There's a lot of Somali lawyers, Doctors, bankers, etc in the UK that have done really well for themselves. You won't hear about them though because they stay lowkey and most actively avoid Somalis and go out with Ajnabis instead.

Interesting question.
Somali role models -
Most people stay or hang around their own individual cliques. As a prerequisite, your writing and speaking skills have to be on point, and the level of social awareness has to be off the charts. Most people who get promoted tend to be sychophants ( brown-nosers/asslickers), and constantly being in their presence is mentally draining.
Now, our cadaan counterparts get promoted to that managerial role/vp if they do the right things and generally have 3-4 years of experience with relative ease. The next level, director level requires someone to have significant experience 7-10 years and be nominated or vouched for by other directors or senior leaderhip team (SLT) which tend to be cadaan/asian for tech or cadaan for law. Understand?
The trouble and effort to go through to become a top director isnt worth it considering from a 6 figure pay check youll only earn like 60k after tax and national insurance. Ive seen how much shit these guys have to go through and i prefer to be sane.

Perfectly summed up

:mjlol:

Trending

Latest posts