Kulmiye's Privatisation of National Assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

McD30

Bored to death
Berbera Fuel Depot - Privatized and bidding is underway.
Berbera Port - Stalled.
Berbera Cement Factory - Failed due to local opposition.
Hargeisa Airport - Not privatized.

Wadani has been the main opposition to privatization of national assets both locally and in parliament however the fuel depot did manage to get privatized despite parliamentary disapproval.

Privatisation will bring much needed investments, keeping it under government hands will just keep it stagnant.....The process just needs to be more transparent and bidding needs to take place so we know the best deal is reached and corruption didn't influence it.

McD30

Bored to death
These assets are of strategic national interests. Only minority stakes should be sold otherwise corporations will gain undue influence. No more than 49% stakes should be sold in my opinion. Perhaps one day when the economy gets bigger and these assets have less influence, the idea can be entertained.

I don't really know the percentage of shares that are given out or kept but I agree with you, private businesses already wield a lot of influence in politics...maybe those shares can be non-voting that way policy is still in the hands of the government while capital can still be attracted

The privatisation of Hargeisa's Electricity Agency reduced the government's share to a 20% about a year ago
http://www.somalilandpress.com/somalilandstate-officially-privatizes-hargeisa-electricity-agency/

Status
Not open for further replies.