K'naan developing a series for HBO based on Jihadi recruitment in Minnesota's Somali community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
The recent ISIS-affiliated terror attacks have left many wondering how such Jihadi organizations attract and train so many new recruits. HBO will soon provide a fictionalized look inside Jihadi recruitment.

EW has confirmed that Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow is developing The Recruiters, which will be set in Minnesota and promises to “draw open an iron curtain behind which viewers will see the highly impenetrable world of Jihadi recruitment.”

Bigelow will split executive producing duties on the show with former HBO president Carolyn Strauss and Somali rapper/poet K’naanWarsame (of “Wavin’ Flag” fame). Warsame will also write the script and direct.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/11/kathryn-bigelow-knaan-hbo-jihadi

For those unaware, a large number of the Somali immigrants settled in Minnesota, which, according to the Immigration Policy Center, has been home to the largest population of Somalis in North America since around 2012. The city of Minneapolis in particular hosts hundreds of Somali-owned and operated commercial ventures. Current estimates say that about one third of Somali Americans live in Minnesota.

Federal and Minnesota authorities have long struggled with the problem of Somali Americans leaving to join al-Shabab, with Islamic State becoming another destination for terrorist sympathizers in recent years.

In fact, just this week, Federal agents in Minneapolis arrested a 20-year-old Somali man, who they say was the “emir” – or leader – of Islamic State recruiting efforts in Minnesota’s Twin Cities. Abdirizak Mohamed Warsame of Eagan, Minnesota appeared in the US District Court in Minneapolis on Thursday morning, to answer the charges of supplying material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization. He was arrested without incident on Wednesday evening, the FBI said. The criminal complaint against Warsame, signed by FBI Special Agent Vadim Vinetsky, says that a group of at least ten young Somalis from Minnesota began conspiring to join Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL) in the spring of 2014. One member of the group, 18-year-old Abdi Nir, actually managed to get to Syria in May 2014, while nine others have been arrested by the FBI.

So, like I said, certainly a timely drama series for HBO to consider; and given that it's coming from K'naan (a Muslim of Somali ancestry, with deep connections to his community, and who has seen childhood friends lost), I'd assume that audiences will get a more comprehensive, if personal look at this particular struggle.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...di-recruitment-series-the-recruiters-20151211

Sultana

On Hiatus
Loool, nevermind, it doesn't matter that he didn't cast Somalis from Toronto. I was wrong, he wasn't dissing reer Dixon.

S

SOMACOON

I wanna hit up K'naan for the lead ma niggah:coolphone:
Wallahi this show goin be active, nigga goin put us on the map again...
Only thing time...it aint waving flag:hahaidiot:theres gonna be a lot of, "waryaa's" and, "wallahi's" in this one

Duchess

VIP
Black Hawk Down, Captain Phillips and now this:draketf: shoot us in the ass why don't ya :O27GWRK:Have we no dignity at all??:uCkf6mf:

Those were made by non-Somalis but this one will be written, directed and produced by K'naan.:snoop::ohlord:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Why y'all mad, dis what y'all chose when you fought against His Holiness Siad

:chrisfreshhah:

Duchess

VIP
Why y'all mad, dis what y'all chose when you fought against His Holiness Siad

:chrisfreshhah:

Whatever. I've already started my transition and will be a Trini dougla by March.:kobeok: I feel sorry for the Somalis who will face scrutinization because of this show. It will convince whitey that even their hip, cannabis smoking, ex-Muslim co-worker is secretly a sleeper agent. Good luck bruh.siilaanyolaugh

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
lol

Im a cultural Muslim so my struggle yo struggle anyway I aint AbdiJohnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending