Khat: The Drug That Ruined Somaliland(Documentary)

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
This Al Jazeera article was from 2015 and I wouldn't be surprised if Somaliland expenditure on khat grow and increased since then.

“Khat is a massive burden on Somaliland’s fragile economy since it means that a large percentage of its foreign currency is used to purchase khat,” said Rakiya Omaar with Horizon Institute, a Somaliland consultancy firm helping communities transition from underdevelopment to resilience and stability.

Somaliland spends $524m a year – about 30 percent of its gross domestic product – on khat from Ethiopia, said Weli Daud with the Somaliland Ministry of Finance.
4:25

"Subxanaah Allah"
That much in one hour alone:mindblown:

Last edited:

Laagite

الداروودي
This Al Jazeera article was from 2015 and I wouldn't be surprised if Somaliland expenditure on khat grow and increased since then.

Khat is a big business in Somaliland, Qat trucks travel from Harar from midnight to reach Somaliland at 5am sharp. Thats when you see a horde fighting over bags of Jaad.

Its an everyday spectacle.

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
Khat is a big business in Somaliland, Qat trucks travel from Harar from midnight to reach Somaliland at 5am sharp. Thats when you see a horde fighting over bags of Jaad.

Its an everyday spectacle.

I wonder why Somaliland's middle clan is severely obsessed with khat? I never understood the reason behind it, I mean it is not because they are closer to Ethiopian border since Reer Awdal are even close then yet they don't consume even 1/10th of what Reer Hargeisa alone eat before noon alone, it is must be some sort cultural and spiritual to them, I am not sure walahi.

Laagite

الداروودي
I wonder why Somaliland's middle clan is severely obsessed with khat? I never understood the reason behind it, I mean it is not because they are closer to Ethiopian border since Reer Awdal are even close then yet they don't consume even 1/10th of what Reer Hargeisa alone eat before noon alone, it is must be some sort cultural and spiritual to them, I am not sure walahi.
A form of escapism that turned into addiction, we see that alot in Somalia. Bila camal bulsho start abusing the substance i.e Qaad to deal with life's hardships.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Imagine yourself living there, you would go insane too. You need something to keep the edge off. A lot of us diaspora hype up where we are from but we all know it's a hellhole which is why we would never live there.

Laagite

الداروودي
Imagine yourself living there, you would go insane too. You need something to keep the edge off. A lot of us diaspora hype up where we are from but we all know it's a hellhole which is why we would never live there.
I stayed in a tuulo back in Somalia, the tuulos ain't as bad as what they're made to be. I found the slow and simple life there much more fulfilling than the "cities".

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
I stayed in a tuulo back in Somalia, the tuulos ain't as bad as what they're made to be. I found the slow and simple life there much more fulfilling than the "cities".

Tuulos didn't use to have a good supply of khat and other narcotics back then, but it is different story now, my cousin in Bossaso was telling me the police officers them selves now smuggle alcohol and all the other illegal substances from Ethiopia into Bossaso with PL government vehicles, PL needs to increase the salary of Police officers so such things don't happen.

Laagite

الداروودي
Tuulos didn't use to have a good supply of khat and other narcotics back then, but it is different story now, my cousin in Bossaso was telling me the police officers them selves now smuggle alcohol and all the other illegal substances from Ethiopia into Bossaso with PL government vehicles, PL needs to increase the salary of Police officers so such things don't happen.
Qamri is a problem for city folk, I've lived in the middle of nowhere. A village of 100 homes half of them descended from the same man(great awoowe), no cases of alcohol were sited. Jaad though is a problem some of those youths who came back from the bigger cities bring the dhaqan xumo with them to their deegaans.

Calaami

Garaadka Guud ee Beesha Calaamka
Same, but we have the luxury of knowing what good lives are like. These guys just live and die in those tuulos. Pretty morbid.

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
Qamri is a problem for city folk, I've lived in the middle of nowhere. A village of 100 homes half of them descended from the same man(great awoowe), no cases of alcohol were sited. Jaad though is a problem some of those youths who came back from the bigger cities bring the dhaqan xumo with them to their deegaans.

True, if you staying in Sanaag then it is possible since the state is not on major road, but regions like Bari,Karkaar,Nugaal and Mudug are connected to both North and South and all type of illegal alcohol and drugs find their way there.

Laagite

الداروودي
True, if you staying in Sanaag then it is possible since the state is not on major road, but regions like Bari,Karkaar,Nugaal and Mudug are connected to both North and South and all type of illegal alcohol and drugs find their way there.
This is why I'm glad Sanaag is isolated, while its development is slow. The people there have kept the traditonal way of life, grazing with camels and fishing at the coast.

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
This is why I'm glad Sanaag is isolated, while its development is slow. The people there have kept the traditonal way of life, grazing with camels and fishing at the coast.

True, I remember back when were in Bossaso and many Sanaag tuulos residents(Buraan,Dhahar,Hadaaftiml) would transfer their school education to Bossaso for better opportunities they were most traditional and conservative out the other students from other regions,mashalah.

Anyways,Sanaag biggest problem is coal burning bandits deforesting the whole environment, it is huge profitable business specially in Dubays areas, the community needs to be warned on the serious effects this would bring to region, I am not sure if they still engage in such immoral work but it needs to be stoped ASAP.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Laagite

الداروودي
True, I remember back when were in Bossaso and many Sanaag tuulos residents(Buraan,Dhahar,Hadaaftiml) would transfer their school education to Bossaso for better opportunities they were most traditional and conservative out the other students from other regions,mashalah.

Anyways,Sanaag biggest problem is coal burning bandits deforesting the whole environment, it is huge profitable business specially in Dubays areas, the community needs to be warned on the serious effects this would bring to region, I am not sure if they still engage in such immoral work but it needs to be stoped ASAP.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Kkkk you're right this is about Qaldaania republic.

CanoGeel

"Show respect to all people, but grovel to none"
Qaad shud b banned from all corners of Somali inhabited lands, periodT!

Look at these people protesting cus of lack of Qaad.

Khat is ruining Somaliland, here are some examples on how it's ruining the people,

-increased mental health issues
-a father who spending all his earnings on khat while his kids are starving
- husbands who are not able to be intimate with their wives

And the list of bad effects continues, see more in the below documentary

Bernie Madoff

Afhayeenka SL
VIP
757892CA-AE26-4AA5-AA44-C4B6D925E3DE.jpeg

Never forget :mjkkk:

you man are killing each other over drought aid today. Talk about misplaced priorities :dead:

Trending