It’s time that we protect waaqism as the chosen people

Xoxoxo

VIP
Those nasty ass Oromo’s (yes I have no respect for them) started to claim that the religion solely belongs to them and WE copied them.

Copy who? We have not that much interest into that religion except for its history but it started with our ancestors and I am tired that those people keep stealing our shit on a daily basis

Xoxoxo

VIP
And idc if that religion died out within us it still OURS and OURS ALONE.

At least our ancestors were creative enough to make up their own shit unlike the oromos who wait and afterwards steal

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Walaashay, calm down. There is no evidence that it originated with Somalis or with any one particular group of East Cushites. All we know is that it seemingly was the pre-Islamic faith of many or even most East Cushites and I think possibly also South Cushites to some extent. In fact, I remember reading that there was evidence of the word "Waaq" itself being a very, very early loan from Nilo-Saharan back when our ancestors still lived in Sudan over 5,000 years ago:

According to Ehret, the religious beliefs of the proto-Cushites were a mixture of two distinct religious traditions. Probably as early as the seventh millennium BCE, the Cushites in parts of eastern Africa blended their traditional Afro-Asiatic religion with aspects of the religious tradition of their Sudanic neighbours. Specifically, they exchanged their belief in a clan deity with the Sudanic concept of "Divinity", expanding the use of the old Cushitic root for "sky" (waak'a) to also extend to "Divinity". However, they retained their older institution of a clan priest-chief (or *wap'er), with the *wap'er's religious duties now re-directed toward Divinity. The Cushites also retained the old Afrasian practice of ascribing unfortunate occurrences to maleficent spirits, but also sometimes viewed evil as Divine retribution. - The Civilizations of Africa: a History to 1800 by Christopher Ehret

So this religion is very old among Cushites in general and some of its roots may go back to the Proto-Cushites. Somalis have no real unique claim to it. Many traditions from Waaqism also still remained within Muslim Somali and Afar culture until just recently, for the record. Customs like trial by fire, a belief in sacred trees and congregating around them and belief in semi dieties like "Huur" and "Nidaar" as well as Somalis' inclination toward Sufism and the belief in saints is very similar to the "Qallu" concept in Waaqism where a priest is considered something of a very special person inhabited by good spirits (Ayaanle in Somali/Ayanas in Oromo) who's curses were to be feared and blessings were to come true:

The Somal hold mainly to the Shafe'i school of Al-Islam: their principal peculiarity is that of not reciting prayers over the dead even in the towns. The marriage ceremony is simple: the price of the bride and the feast being duly arranged, the formula is recited by some priest or pilgrim. I have often been requested to officiate on these occasions, and the End of Time has done it by irreverently reciting the Fatihah over the happy pair. The Somal, as usual amongst the heterogeneous mass amalgamated by Al-Islam, have a diversity of superstitions attesting their Pagan origin. Such for instance are their oaths by stones, their reverence of cairns and holy trees, and their ordeals of fire and water. A man accused of murder or theft walks down a trench full of live charcoal and about a spear’s length, or he draws out of the flames a smith’s anvil heated to redness: some prefer picking four or five cowries from a large pot full of boiling water. The member used is at once rolled up in the intestines of a sheep and not inspected for a whole day. They have traditionary seers called Tawuli, like the Greegree-men of Western Africa, who, by inspecting the fat and bones of slaughtered cattle, “do medicine,” predict rains, battles, and diseases of animals. This class is of both sexes: they never pray or bathe, and are therefore considered always impure; thus, being feared, they are greatly respected by the vulgar. Their predictions are delivered in a rude rhyme, often put for importance into the mouth of some deceased seer. - First Footsteps in East Africa by Richard F. Burton

What's fascinating is that some of these customs and beliefs even entered the qabiil origin stories. Sheikh Darood's story is a very prime example. In the original story, from what I recall, he appears at the top of a great tree and asks the local people to bring him a woman among them to wed so that he may descend and guide them. This is flat-out a Waqist story that repeats itself across the Horn among Afars and Oromos as well:

Belief in the Sky-God may relate to the myth of the man who was sitting in a tree (perhaps a sacred tree, even an olive). This is a common myth of origin told by Cushitic people of the Horn, particularly the Oromo, Afar, Saho and Somali (Luling 1988). According to this myth, a little girl discovered a stranger from the sky, a man, sitting on a tree, who would only agree to come down when he was promised that he could marry the local girl who found him. He was allowed to marry her, and the people emerged from their union. Versions of this myth are widespread in the Horn. It seems to indicate a potential link between the notion of trees and ancestral figures, as also exemplified by Konso waga sculptures. As an example, the wagar is, as noted earlier, carved from the wood of a sacred tree. The sycamore tree is, similarly, venerated by Cushitic peoples (Burton 1966; Trimingham 1965, p. 260; cf. Hallpike 1972). More broadly, it can be said that the worship of trees is extremely important within many Cushitic-speaking societies of the Horn even today, including the Konso and Oromo. Thus, the worship of trees and its potential link with the wagar are relevant to discussions of Sky-God belief. The potential link is the sacred fertility that the wagar is considered to provide. An investigation of the relationship between the idea of sacred trees, the myth of a man in a tree, and the wagar may suggest something of the deeper nature of Waaq. - Wagar, Fertility and Phallic Stelae: Cushitic Sky-God Belief and the Site of Saint Aw-Barkhadle, Somaliland, by Sada Mire

A little hilarious to think that people like Sheikh Darood, who are commonly associated with the Islamization of Somalis, have pre-Islamic elements woven into their stories. Shows you how syncretic the adoption of Islam was among Somalis.

But anyway, it is every bit their religion as it was ours once upon a time.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
There's no real evidence that all somalis pre-islam had the same religion or used to practice waqism. Anyway Christianity and Islam civilized cushitic people. Otherwise we would have ended up just like those neolithic oromos and rendilles who still practice waqism.

HuunoHunter

Old Head 👴🏿
I believe Waaqism orginiated from a previous nation who had been sent a prophet but lost their way from the true message which is to submit to Allah (Eebe)

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
I don't mind following Waaqism as it is at least a religion that is not an alien to us and wasn't imported to us from our neighboring countries, we need to revive Waaqism in our country and promote it among Agnostic/Atheist Somalis like me as an alternative.:rejoice:

Worshiping trees and creatures > Not worshiping anything

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
There's no real evidence that all somalis pre-islam had the same religion or used to practice waqism. Anyway Christianity and Islam civilized cushitic people. Otherwise we would have ended up just like those neolithic oromos and rendilles who still practice waqism.
There's plenty of evidence, saaxiib. In both cultural anthropology (i.e. material culture and customs) and linguistics it is fairly apparent that nearly all our ancestors were most likely Waaqists in both Waqooyi and Koonfur. Waaqism and customs associated with it pervade everywhere like I displayed above. In fact, there's weirdly more proof of Somalis having practiced this religion than Christianity which we have at least some archaeological evidence of in parts of Waqooyi.

Why the hell would a somali care about those ancient fairytales, bro its just a myth and if youre interested in quraafad and recently cooked up stories you could just put forward your own fairytale instead of crying for oromo shi't

I don't mind following Waaqism as it is at least a religion that is not an alien to us and wasn't imported to us from our neighboring countries, we need to revive Waaqism in our country and promote it among Agnostic/Atheist Somalis like me as an alternative.:rejoice:

Atheism and waaqism couldnt be in the same phrase unless you are smoking weed dude, btw you sound like youre just trolling cuz no athiest would have left his religion just to end up worshipping the same god as pagans in another shithole country

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You

Some European atheists are also inclined to revive their ancestral religions 😂😂
You should take on Buddhism if you wanna subscribe to a non Abrahamic religion. There's nothing meaningful about neolithic religions

Who cares. Waaq isn't even a relgion. Some where Christians some were Jews. Waaq or Ebe just meant god. It's like calling Allah a religion which can be any god that Arabs worship. Or calling God a religion which can be any God a person who speaks English worships.

"civilized"? so the only way to be civilized is to have some Arabians introduce their religion?

Trending

Latest posts