Is your Muslimness ever questioned by non-Black Muslims?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a Somali guy that doesn't look like the stereotypical Somali guy. He always gets mistaken for Kenyan, Rwandan, African American etc. And he told me that a lot of Arabs and South Asians get surprised when he says he's Muslim because to them all Muslims have a certain type of "look". So they get surprised when they see a guy with Bantu features to be Muslim. They always think he's a convert and not a born Muslim and it annoys him.

Edo Nene

SUGAR breasts
Walal, to me it's racist, why do non black Muslims think Islam belong them? Islam spread to Arab then Africa then Europe then Asia last. As if them curry Muslims think they are chosen one Nacala!!!

No one questions somalis about their muslimness, Somalis and sudanese are the only few africans who are never questioned from my experience.

No one questions somalis about their muslimness, Somalis and sudanese are the only few africans who are never questioned from my experience.

True, Most Arabs and Asians can recognize a Somali/Horner face and know that person is Muslim. But the Somalis that don't look like the stereotypical Somalis are always questioned their Muslimness by Asians and Arabs especially

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
Most people think I'm Muslim but recently more people started questioning where I'm from and if I'm Muslim. Never used to happen to me when I was younger

Most people think I'm Muslim but recently more people started questioning where I'm from and if I'm Muslim. Never used to happen to me when I was younger

If you're a light skin Somali and have those soft Somali features, then I can't imagine non-Black Muslims questioning your Muslimness.

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
If you're a light skin Somali and have those soft Somali features, then I can't imagine non-Black Muslims questioning your Muslimness.
I think it's my behaviour/the way I act or my haircut idk wallahi it only started to happen the past year but not a lot prob less than 5 times.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
True, Most Arabs and Asians can recognize a Somali/Horner face and know that person is Muslim. But the Somalis that don't look like the stereotypical Somalis are always questioned their Muslimness by Asians and Arabs especially

When you deviate from the Somali look, even Somalis will walk past you. It's nothing personal. If we can't recognize you as our own, how do you expect foreigners with less trained eyes to do so.

I used to question madoows about the Islamic faith until I met one Senegalese who was really good at reciting Quran and ever since i don't.

Nah Somalis have that look i've never experienced someone questioning my muslimness, but i do have had tons of instances of arabs starting to talk arabic to me after i say im Somali. :snoop:

Yh but even somalis wouldn't recognize them as somalis, because we spot each other based on looks. So if you se a somali dude that looks like Tyrese, you would walk past him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts