Is this the earliest mention of the Boqor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's this book called Narrative of the Portuguese embassy to Abyssinia during the years 1520-1527 and it was written by a Portuguese visiting Ethiopia. When talking about Adal, he makes an offhand comment about Cape Guardafui (Raas Caseyr) and he mentions a ruler there that is subject to Adal. I've always suspected Migiurtinia to be much older than thought and this sort of proves it. Also this means the entire north was under Adal.

1690762327470.png

There's this book called Narrative of the Portuguese embassy to Abyssinia during the years 1520-1527 and it was written by a Portuguese visiting Ethiopia. When talking about Adal, he makes an offhand comment about Cape Guardafui (Raas Caseyr) and he mentions a ruler there that is subject to Adal. I've always suspected Migiurtinia to be much older than thought and this sort of proves it. Also this means the entire north was under Adal.

View attachment 285476
The Kingdom of Adal was basically Japan, with the Garaads as Daimyos, the Imam as Shogun, and the Sultan of the house of Wali Asma as the sacred emperor.

View attachment 285476
You misinterpreted that chapter. There is no mention of Majeerteen or boqor ruling Cape Guardafui during the reign of Imam Ahmed. Only the term Cape Guardafui is mentioned not Boqor. Imam Ahmed ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi's influence and power stretched as far as Mogadishu. Many of the coastal towns of modern day Puntland were probably not inhabited by the Majeerteen clan in the 15th century.

The nomadic Majeerteen clans predominantly resided in the interior hinterland. They roamed around the desert in search of pasture and water for their livestock. They didn't have a seafaring or coastal tradition with the exception of the carab salex clan.

The Majeerteen sultante was established in the 16th century, long after the death of Imam Ahmed. Cape Guardafui may have been inhabited by Arab traders who had strong connections with Imam Ahmed and Adal sultante.

You misinterpreted that chapter. There is no mention of Majeerteen or boqor ruling Cape Guardafui during the reign of Imam Ahmed. Only the term Cape Guardafui is mentioned not Boqor. Imam Ahmed ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi's influence and power stretched as far as Mogadishu. Many of the coastal towns of modern day Puntland were probably not inhabited by the Majeerteen clan in the 15th century.

The nomadic Majeerteen clans predominantly resided in the interior hinterland. They roamed around the desert in search of pasture and water for their livestock. They didn't have a seafaring or coastal tradition with the exception of the carab salex clan.

The Majeerteen sultante was established in the 16th century, long after the death of Imam Ahmed. Cape Guardafui may have been inhabited by Arab traders who had strong connections with Imam Ahmed and Adal sultante.
Do you have a source for your bogus claims? Where is the source that states they were not residing on the coast? Also you contradict yourself, you say the sultanate was established in the 16th century long after Ahmed Gurey's death but according to your timeline the sultanate would have already been formed before his death.

Do you have a source for your bogus claims? Where is the source that states they were not residing on the coast? Also you contradict yourself, you say the sultanate was established in the 16th century long after Ahmed Gurey's death but according to your timeline the sultanate would have already been formed before his death.

The Majeerteen sultante was established at the beginning of the 16th century(1600). Imam Ahmed passed away towards the end of the 16th century(1543). I am actually being generous to you. Most sources also indicate the Majeerteen Sultante was established in the 18th century. There was no unified Majeerteen Sultante during the reign of Imam Ahmed. The region had multiple small kingdoms that were constantly clashing and competing with each other over scarce resources. There is no historical documentation to suggest Imam Ahmed had any contact or relationship with the Majeerteen Sultante.

Stop with historical revisionism and intellectual dishonesty. You are desperately trying to promote your distorted narrative by deliberately lying. Mohamed Hajji Muktar states in his book Arab sources on Somalia, "The Arabs spread Islam from the coastal centers on the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden to the hinterland. He also states Arabs had a strong presence in many of the coastal areas of modern day Somalia during the 15th and 16th centuries. Most of the Majeerteen clans resided in the hinterland during the reign of Imam Ahmed. The coastal Arabs had nothing to do with the nomadic Somalis of the hinterland. The "Arab Factor in Somali history" also details the strong Arab presence in the coastal areas of Somalia. The nomads occupied the most arid regions of Somalia. Imam Ahmed was fluent in arabic so he was able to communicate with his arab brethren in cape gardufari, Bosaso and Ras Hafun. The name ras Hafun is literally of arab origin.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
The Kingdom of Adal was basically Japan, with the Garaads as Daimyos, the Imam as Shogun, and the Sultan of the house of Wali Asma as the sacred emperor.
Don't forget the clans and their wars over a water well in the middle of nowhere even though they are literally getting invaded by foriengiers.

The Majeerteen sultante was established at the beginning of the 16th century(1600). Imam Ahmed passed away towards the end of the 16th century(1543). I am actually being generous to you. Most sources also indicate the Majeerteen Sultante was established in the 18th century. There was no unified Majeerteen Sultante during the reign of Imam Ahmed. The region had multiple small kingdoms that were constantly clashing and competing with each other over scarce resources. There is no historical documentation to suggest Imam Ahmed had any contact or relationship with the Majeerteen Sultante.

Stop with historical revisionism and intellectual dishonesty. You are desperately trying to promote your distorted narrative by deliberately lying. Mohamed Hajji Muktar states in his book Arab sources on Somalia, "The Arabs spread Islam from the coastal centers on the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden to the hinterland. He also states Arabs had a strong presence in many of the coastal areas of modern day Somalia during the 15th and 16th centuries. Most of the Majeerteen clans resided in the hinterland during the reign of Imam Ahmed. The coastal Arabs had nothing to do with the nomadic Somalis of the hinterland. The "Arab Factor in Somali history" also details the strong Arab presence in the coastal areas of Somalia. The nomads occupied the most arid regions of Somalia. Imam Ahmed was fluent in arabic so he was able to communicate with his arab brethren in cape gardufari, Bosaso and Ras Hafun. The name ras Hafun is literally of arab origin.
You give way too much credit to Arabs when they were at one of their weakest point in all of their history at the time. There were Arabs from Zabid, Mahra and even Meccans with green flags who were ordered by its ruler Amir Barakat II to join the Somali Karanle Imam. All of them were Ottoman vessels at the time. Even Mahra was under Portugese blockade by Afonso de Albuquerque and Tristao di Cunha until the Ottomans stepped in for them in 1545. Arabs were miskeen. They were not the same since the Abbasids.

Firstly you're contradicting yourself. The 16th century is from 1501-1600. According to your logic it was already formed before his death. What small kingdoms competing are you referring to, you don't have a source for that, you made it up it seems. Also where does Mukhtar state anything about Arabs ruling the coast? In fact Mukhtar states that Islam spread from the coast where there was Somali Muslim centres . Even in his other works he never attributes coastal cities entirely to Arabs like you have. Also your source "Arab factor in Somalia" literally describes Migiurtinia as being under Adal. As you can see they are described as semi-nomadic meaning they have a seafaring tradition and he states it was seemingly formed before the 16th century. Your source you're trying to use to back up your argument supports mine. He also cites I.M. Lewis who agrees with this.

1690945713695.png

1690945971757.png

Firstly you're contradicting yourself. The 16th century is from 1501-1600. According to your logic it was already formed before his death. What small kingdoms competing are you referring to, you don't have a source for that, you made it up it seems. Also where does Mukhtar state anything about Arabs ruling the coast? In fact Mukhtar states that Islam spread from the coast where there was Somali Muslim centres . Even in his other works he never attributes coastal cities entirely to Arabs like you have. Also your source "Arab factor in Somalia" literally describes Migiurtinia as being under Adal. As you can see they are described as semi-nomadic meaning they have a seafaring tradition and he states it was seemingly formed before the 16th century. Your source you're trying to use to back up your argument supports mine. He also cites I.M. Lewis who agrees with this.

View attachment 285797
View attachment 285798
The information you provided me is actually quite compelling and informative. I have extensively gone through your sources and you have convinced me that the Majeerteen sultante was established before the 16th century. I honestly come across many sources stating the Majeerteen Sultante was established in the early 1600s or the early 18th century. I will disregard those sources for now.

The small kingdoms I am referring to are the kingdoms established by the Somali nomads in the desert hinterland. Nomads would often compete against each other over scarce resources in the desert. It's even mentioned in the Futush-al-Habesh book that various nomadic Somali clans were constantly clashing with each other during the reign of Imam Ahmed.

The Somali coast as a whole is dotted with a series of significant Islamic city-states, such as Zeila, Bulhar, Berbera, Bosaso and Las qoray. The Arab presence may not have been as strong as on the Indian Ocean/Benadir Coast. Many Somali clans were not coastal people until recently. Most of our people had a nomadic tradition back then. But you just convinced me that the Majeerteens already had a well established seafaring tradition dating back to the 14th century. Muktar does mention in his book that there was a significant presence of Arabs in the coastal towns on the Indian Ocean. He also attributes the Benadir coast to Arabs. Was Ras Hafun founded by Majeerteen? The word has arabic origins. That name is mentioned in the arabic script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts