Inside Israel’s Secret Program to Back Syrian Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/0...ed-and-funded-rebel-groups-in-southern-syria/

Israel secretly armed and funded at least 12 rebel groups in southern Syria that helped prevent Iran-backed fighters and militants of the Islamic State from taking up positions near the Israeli border in recent years, according to more than two dozen commanders and rank-and-file members of these groups.

The military transfers, which ended in July of this year, included assault rifles, machine guns, mortar launchers and transport vehicles. Israeli security agencies delivered the weapons through three gates connecting the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights to Syria—the same crossings Israel used to deliver humanitarian aid to residents of southern Syria suffering from years of civil war.

Israel also provided salaries to rebel fighters, paying each one about $75 a month, and supplied additional money the groups used to buy arms on the Syrian black market, according to the rebels and local journalists.

The payments, along with the service Israel was getting in return, created an expectation among the rebels that Israel would intercede if troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad tried to advance on southern Syria.

When regime forces backed by Russian air power did precisely that this past summer, Israel did not intervene, leaving the rebel groups feeling betrayed.

“This is a lesson we will not forget about Israel. It does not care about … the people. It does not care about humanity. All it cares about it its own interests,” said Y., a fighter from one of the groups, Forsan al-Jolan.

Israel has tried to keep its relationship with the groups a secret. Though some publications have reportedon it, the interviews Foreign Policy conducted with militia members for this story provide the most detailed account yet of Israel’s support for the groups. All the fighters spoke on the condition that their names and factions not be revealed.

The quantity of arms and money Israel transferred to the groups—comprising thousands of fighters—is small compared to the amounts provided by other countries involved in the 7-year-old civil war, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the United States. Even at the height of the Israeli assistance program earlier this year, rebel commanders complained that it was insufficient.

But the assistance is significant for several reasons. It marks one more way Israel has been trying to prevent Iran from entrenching its position in Syria—alongside airstrikes on Iranian encampments and political pressure Israel brought to bear via Russia, the main power broker in Syria.

It also raises questions about the balance of power in Syria as the civil war there finally winds down. With the Iranian forces that helped Assad defeat the rebels showing no inclination to withdraw from Syria, the potential for the country to become a flash point between Israel and Iran looms large.

A spokesman for the Israeli Embassy in Washington declined to comment for this story.

The Israelis don't even bother to cover their tracks that good. They'll openly assassinate people in Iran. Imagine if Iran sent people to kill Israeli scientists in their own country? WWIII would have began that same day. Everyone knows Israel is really behind all the mess in the middle east, but no one says anything because America and Europe bow down to them.
:bell:

The Israelis don't even bother to cover their tracks that good. They'll openly assassinate people in Iran. Imagine if Iran sent people to kill Israeli scientists in their own country? WWIII would have began that same day. Everyone knows Israel is really behind all the mess in the middle east, but no one says anything because America and Europe bow down to them.
:bell:
Why is such a small and irrelevant country so scary to Europe and America?:kanyehmm:

Why is such a small and irrelevant country so scary to Europe and America?:kanyehmm:
I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but Jews really do have an immense influence on western nations, particularly America. They run Hollywood, which pumps out tons of propaganda that has changed the culture of these white countries to a more degenerate one. They also own the banks and the corporations, and people running for Congress are asked if they support Israel before getting funding for their campaigns.

Jewish people have always played both sides since the prophet's time. They want us to be aware of the tensions between Christians and Muslims so we slaughter each other and forget about them robbing us blind. It's in their blood, like how Somalis are naturally entrepreneurial and how the Italians make good food. I personally don't hate Jews, and am honestly quite amazed by how they run the global order.
:yacadiim:

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but Jews really do have an immense influence on western nations, particularly America. They run Hollywood, which pumps out tons of propaganda that has changed the culture of these white countries to a more degenerate one. They also own the banks and the corporations, and people running for Congress are asked if they support Israel before getting funding for their campaigns.

Jewish people have always played both sides since the prophet's time. They want us to be aware of the tensions between Christians and Muslims so we slaughter each other and forget about them robbing us blind. It's in their blood, like how Somalis are naturally entrepreneurial and how the Italians make good food. I personally don't hate Jews, and am honestly quite amazed by how they run the global order.
:yacadiim:
Interestimg that such a small group of people have so much influence and power. Have you heard of the Rothschild banks?

Interestimg that such a small group of people have so much influence and power. Have you heard of the Rothschild banks?
Oh definitely. Them and George Soros are big boogeymen to white nationalists by how they subvert financial institutions while also promoting things like mass immigration and degeneracy in white countries. But they can't do anything about it or they're labelled as anti-Semites. Imagine if we couldn't openly speak about the Oromo invasion of north Somalia without getting called a racist.
:siilaanyolaugh:
And no matter how poor and divided us Somalis are, I still think we have it better than the average westerner. At least back home no one's actively trying to destroy our families through the media by encouraging homosexuality and other vices. These cadaan are honestly living miserable lives from what I've seen. Their cars, houses, and livelihoods are owned by Jews through loan practices.
:damedamn:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
That makes no sense why would you arm someone who hates you. Both sides in the Syrian war be it the govt or rebels are not israeli friendly sxb. Israel will never have friends in that region, all it aims to do is ensure it doesn't spill over. Israel cannot interfere in arab politics even if it wanted too because the people will say 'we don't want jews' there is no avenue for them to enter the politics.

Americans stand a far better chance. Israel may use America as a vehicle thru lobby activities of AIPAC but it's playing an influencing 'role' on America and using America to defeat muslims who are a threat to it's existence. They want a nice neighbor niyahow that's it, not a bunch of lunatics in the neighborhood hell bent on destruction.

Do I like Israel, personally NO. I find they use the world in ways the world is so stupid to wake up too. I don't mind decent jews though who are not like those jews who want to control the world through influencing and using money, media, academics, and trust me they definitely line up these people in America pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending