Foreign workers

This is disgraceful. Why would you use ajanabi cheap labour when you have literally 1000's of somali who can do it?

The house looks fantastic although the the colour is wacky which is the same for almost all new homes built in somalia. They simply dont match the sorrounding landscape.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
This is disgraceful. Why would you use ajanabi cheap labour when you have literally 1000's of somali who can do it?

The house looks fantastic although the the colour is wacky which is the same for almost all new homes built in somalia. They simply dont match the sorrounding landscape.
actually the colour looks pretty nice unlike most conventional somali houses

Professor

The name is Professor, Haji Professor
the nice but gurey is true what need is there for non-somali workers. My mother has built a couple of somali houses all done by somalis and they were in good condition. I just don't see the need for them.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
We need to import new methods of construction and figure out how to get more efficient.

Most Somali houses are clones of each other because no new ideas were spread since the civil war.

A few hundred Indians might take the opportunities away from the same number but in turn they educate tens of thousands with new technology.

Also a bit of competition to improve overall efficiency doesn't hurt.

However let's not turn into the Gulf.

We need to import new methods of construction and figure out how to get more efficient.

Most Somali houses are clones of each other because no new ideas were spread since the civil war.

A few hundred Indians might take the opportunities away from the same number but in turn they educate tens of thousands with new technology.

I don't completely agree or disagree. My point is a cheap labourer with hammer and shovels won't bring any knowledge or new skills to somalias construction industry. However architectes and heavy machine and tool operatives do. Those indians are not more skilled then average somali labourer

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Those indians are not more skilled then average somali labourer

Hence it wouldn't be too difficult for the average Somali construction worker to pick up some new skills from them.

Once those lower level skills are distributed sufficiently throughout Somalia we can increase the tax on those foreigners working in those specific jobs.

If we manage it properly then we'd benefit from it.

Banning them outright would just give Somali construction workers more reasons to stay complacent.

We don't have to be as efficient as the Chinese but surely the current construction cost of a house could be lowered when we're only paying the workers a hundred bucks a month.

Nope, they don't teach Somali anything, already the Somalis were working in gulf countries since 70s in construction field. Saudi Arabia cities were built by Somali workers.

Hence it wouldn't be too difficult for the average Somali construction worker to pick up some new skills from them.

Once those lower level skills are distributed sufficiently throughout Somalia we can increase the tax on those foreigners working in those specific jobs.

If we manage it properly then we'd benefit from it.

Banning them outright would just give Somali construction workers more reasons to stay complacent.

We don't have to be as efficient as the Chinese but surely the current construction cost of a house could be lowered when we're only paying the workers a hundred bucks a month.

No. I would want highly skilled foreigner and health and safety construction workers. There is absolutely no reason why a cheap labourer working on the bottom end in construction to be a foreigner. They would have to be supervisors and managers this way their numbers would be small and they could train hundreds.

Otherwise every construction company and companies operating in other fields would demand ajababi workers.

Point is as a government we must put employment at the forefront of our agenda. We cant cant have cheap labour whilst the average Somali walks around wondering why he aint employed.

Futhermore most nations with huge population and no social safety net will want to dump their on employed on other poor developing countries. Look at the gulf. China is doing it too in africa.

Foreigners working in Somalia must be seen as highly intelligent highly skilled and highly experienced. We cant have poor people taking poorer people's jobs.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Daacad I don't mind these type of foreign workers, they will need to reinvest back in the economy. They will need to pay rent to a house, buy food from market, pay for services like telecommunication. These sort of foreign workers are ok and will help build the economy. It's the ones who come from overseas on construction those ones I hate, they just leave and go back home taking our money with them. But it seems Puntland is addressing this issue and began a technical institute just recently.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
Yeah because the locals already have jobs and are too good to be doing these jobs. Why are they doing this? Why not employ locals instead of copying those fat onion-eaters that import Filipino and Indian slave workers? It's almost as if they're trying to piss me off.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
Who, the Arab workers? Come back when the locals have jobs and are better off. Go back to their countries? Or do you mean the people who hired them? In that case they should simply tell them to pack up and come back when there are leftover jobs.

Daacad I don't mind these type of foreign workers, they will need to reinvest back in the economy. They will need to pay rent to a house, buy food from market, pay for services like telecommunication. These sort of foreign workers are ok and will help build the economy. It's the ones who come from overseas on construction those ones I hate, they just leave and go back home taking our money with them. But it seems Puntland is addressing this issue and began a technical institute just recently.

I don't mind them either as long as they giving something back to the community e.g providing jobs.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This is a total disgrace, if you cant even construct your own homes, talk about brain drain. These foreigners will just export their money outside the country, noone benefits. Not businesses, not workers, not the economy.

Trending