I'm Anisa Hajimumin, Minister of Women's Development -- AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khathead

tfw no habesha gf
Thanks for doing this AMA, and thanks for your work improving our country :)

How much have women's rights improved in the Somali society the past couple of years?

Hello, my name is Anisa Hajimumin-Puntland's Women Development and Family Affairs. I thank you for having me on here. Perhaps, I'd like to update a bit on what I have done so far.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Welcome to our forum Minister.

My question is regarding women's political representation. Somalia/Puntland has repeatedly promised a minimum quota of 30% for women but this has never materialized. What do you think it will take for women to get their fair share of the political pie? And when do you think this will happen?

Hi Minister,
Thank you for taking the time to chat with us today.

I recently read that you mentioned that Puntland has the highest maternal mortality in Somalia. How does your Ministry plan to tackle this problem.

What does the future have install for somaliland and Puntland as two neighbours that occupy the strategic Red Sea shipping lanes?

Can you see a political, economic and military alliance developing between somaliland and Puntland that mutually benifits both parties?

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Welcome Minister,

My question is about the slow development of an electoral system in Puntland, why is the Gaas administration so slow on this issue?
President Gaas promised elections in January 2019, but there are only 3 years left, what is taking so long?

McD30

Bored to death
Hello Minister. Somalia is a hard place to be a woman so I am wondering what is being done in your region to accommodate internally displaced women in terms of employment and education.

How much have women's rights improved in the Somali society the past couple of years?

In the last couple of years-both economical and social empowerment for women have improved. For instance, Puntland had passed, launched, adopted the Female Genital Mutilation Policy. And the Sexual Harassment Bill have been passed as well and awaits for launching before implementation.
To deal with the norms and tradition that keep women behind, we targeted remote residents so they are aware of the impact FGM and violence had on women and even their families and trained female cutters to become advocates.
Part of anti violence against women campaigns-we are against rapists marrying its victims. In order to prevent such practice, for the first time, we engaged male elders in different communities. Highlighted the problems they have caused upon women through resolving rape cases under customary laws. We had communiquè out of that and agreement for elders to join the advocacy processes.
In addition, though it is still under process-we have advocated for a center for offenders since it is not only adult females that are raped but children are also molested and majority of the time, victims' families are not coming forward. This center will help put away offenders that are mentally ill so they are safe from the community.
As for economical-we know without financial independence, women cannot grow. We have engaged various stakeholders and we were lucky for many women gain financial growth and over half million was spent on them.
Finally, because there are many business, unemployed and female farmers-we wanted to further our economical empowerment but first-we have gathered data on the status of women in Puntland.
For example, the everage percentage of women in Puntland that are unemployed are 65% while businesswomen make up 35-45%, the female farmers range from 15-25%.
This data will be published and launched on March 8, 2106.
Such information can help us how to address women's needs.
Thanks

N

NaomiHoney

Asalamu Aleykum Minister,

We understand that women alone are predisposed to dealing with mental health issues, from PTSD from childbirth to anxiety from FGM.
As your role deals with the development of Women's Affairs. What is your opinion regarding mental health and Somali women? How will you go about advocating this issue?

Many thanks.

Minister,

I understand that you have been working hard to naturalise IDP's in Puntland. How is this process coming along?
Secondly, if IDPs are to be naturalised and legally allocated land, does this mean they will gain members in the upcoming district based elections? If yes, does that mean the natives of Puntland plan to give up seats to IDPs? Or does Puntland plan on naturalising IDPs but keep them marginalised when it comes to political matters?

as youre an advocate for youth development, how is your ministry tackling the issue of tahrib? is this issue sensationalized or is it an actual problem in your region?

Welcome to our forum Minister.

My question is regarding women's political representation. Somalia/Puntland has repeatedly promised a minimum quota of 30% for women but this has never materialized. What do you think it will take for women to get their fair share of the political pie? And when do you think this will happen?

Thanks Duchess,
Somalia's constitution has 30% inclusion while Puntland's is 20%. Yet that is not close to the percentage assigned for women.
While I am advocating for higher number of women representation in high profile government seats-strategy is needed which I proposed to be:
-Recruit young, educated and established women with leadership skills, visionary plans to combat the corruptive system in Somalia and train them to become public officials: note most of these women might be returning diasporas and this may pose a barrier such as (lack of language fluency, and knowledge of local customs. The latter can be addressed as I learnt it the hard way, it is the language that is crucial for one to know)
-To empower communities choose effective female leaders from their tribes and embrace the importance of female inclusion (Rwanda for instance) and dismantle the patriarchal leadership mentality which is strongly present in our culture.
-Empower women economically and help them fund their own campaigns without her elders' signatures.
And finally
-To empower women mentally, emotionally and psychologivally. It is a problem when a female lawyer is writing her questions and gives to a male because she fears from the audience.
This is is why I established women studies department with a platform which is still under development so we can address what is ailing our women and the causes for lack of confidence and self esteem.

Hi, welcome to Somalispot

Thanks Abdi,
Are you a supporter of Puntland independence? Has it crossed your mind before?
No. I am not. I hail from activists that stood for the unity of the people. I cannot destroy what they sacrificed their lives for.
When civil strife occurs, changes for the better is hard, and many become hopeless. It is not lack of resources that we suffer from or number of people to bring positive transformation-it is the lack of true leadership and collective coordination that call for unity but also freedom of expression.
In addition, the absence of fair and just system will tire many and cause preference of unnecessary independence-but while this can be short lived-it is not favorable action to all that Somalis wanted, all that reason we were divided for was the prevention of our unity.
Has it crossed my mind? Such effect is like that of peer pressure in high school but it is matter of choice, matter of awareness. If my forefathers stood for unity-I see nothing better I could get by supporting independence but that is just me. What I want for my people is bigger, better and advanced than standing alone-with unity, I feel the people can benefit from my skills much more and I can contribute to the masses at large.
Thanks

as youre an advocate for youth development, how is your ministry tackling the issue of tahrib? is this issue sensationalized or is it an actual problem in your region?

My ministry is not Youth Affairs but through family which is our mandate, we have tackled this issue-however, I feel there is a problem which is lack of opportunities that is causing the youth to leave.
I advocate for their educational and intellectual growth. I can understand the government is the largest employers.
We are working on creation different venues that will enhance youth employments. I have hired long serving volunteers become permanent staff, introduced and trained new volunteers and consultants to my ministry.
Because I am not able to hire everyone, I created a test course to see where young universities students are at skills wise. I have gathered 63 students taking advanced technical communication. Since the class was bit difficult, only 27 graduated that have learned how to prepare proposals, basic budgets, reports, professional letters and discovered their personality types that will help them what they are good at.
I feel even if the youth are given jobs, they'd still require crash courses on public speaking, and employable professional skills.
With advocacy on both awareness and economical the time to end tahrib is not near but there is much that we will tackle in the meantime,
Thanks

Do you ever see Puntland accepting Khaatumo as a legitimate state next door?
The freedom to choose is not within Puntland but Khatumo itself. One's value is never dependent on others. When I went to Buhodle, I met both Khatumo and Puntland supporters-it was not so much of politics but the dire situation women and children were on that I was interested in.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.