Identity Crisis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etacovda S'lived

תחיה מדינת ישראל
Saxibayaal I've long struggled with this question of what qabiil I am. Bit of background about me if you don't already know: I was born in Iceland in 1974 and raised by a white woman in a white household for 2 decades. My dad was a diplomat to the UK, Iceland and Denmark from 1972 to 1989. I've had very little contact with Somalis and only started interacting with them in the early to mid 2000s. I was so insulated from Somali issues that I didn't know there was a Somali civil war until recently. I was raised Christian but saw through the BS at an early age. I've become Muslim for cultural identification but honestly I can't get myself to pray (i.e. find prayer positions amusing (sorry)). I'm only recently learning about Somali history, culture, clan structure, norms etc.

In my never ending quest, I periodically try to figure out what clan I am. My dad being a diplomat immersed himself in the cultures of the countries we lived in. He was so immersed that I think he might've internalized whiteness. So I'm 44, fully Somali, and don't know my clan. I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone and I take cracks at it with my Somali friends. Two years ago I was at a Somali restaurant in London and I overheard these Somalis discussing Somali politics. Being naive, I thought to jump in and interact with my people. I was of the belief (erroneously!!) that "Mooryaan" was a Somali clan. In fact I was so convinced of it that I adopted it temporarily until I figured out what I was. I would actually tell people I was Mooryaan and they would hastily change the subject and cringe. Anyway back to the restaurant. So I jumped in and asked "Saxiib Mooryaan miyatihiin?". This hit a nerve immediately and the first glass was flung my way within seconds. One of the men jumped out of his seat, escaped the grasp of more reasonable people holding him back, and launched himself at me. A brutal fistfight ensued and both of us received medical attention, before receiving police attention.

So long story short, I want you folks to tell me the names of Somali clans, what the slurs are and how they are all interrelated. I already know about Hawiye and Isaak. In fact I'm thinking of adopting Isaak as my new clan identity until I figure out who I am. So please, feel free to weigh in and educate this old khasaaro.

Etacovda S'lived

תחיה מדינת ישראל
Google is not very helpful. Even I can tell this is not true.
upload_2017-12-22_17-58-53.png

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Saxib don't you know what your clan is through your father?
Has he never told you?
Did he forget? That's what you make it sound like? If so, what the hell. That's crazy.
Anyway, what I want to say is good job for making the effort to connect with your culture. That takes initiative.
I'm not too familiar with the relationships between Somali clans or the slurs people use for each (alhamdulillah for that, honestly), due to my parents never even talking about qabil when I was in the room, something I am glad for every day. I consider qabyaalad to be a cancer upon the Somali community.
You said you already know, but the main three big qabils are:
  • Hawiye
  • Darod
  • Isaaq
These three big qabils split further into subclans.
Wikipedia is a really useful resource on seeing the hierarchy from sub-sub-clan to sub-clan to confederation to qabil. Check it out.
There are also minority qabils, which I doubt you are, just going by probabilities.
Unfortunately, I know barely anything about any qabils that aren't my own, so I can't really help you :manny:

Saxibayaal I've long struggled with this question of what qabiil I am. Bit of background about me if you don't already know: I was born in Iceland in 1974 and raised by a white woman in a white household for 2 decades. My dad was a diplomat to the UK, Iceland and Denmark from 1972 to 1989. I've had very little contact with Somalis and only started interacting with them in the early to mid 2000s. I was so insulated from Somali issues that I didn't know there was a Somali civil war until recently. I was raised Christian but saw through the BS at an early age. I've become Muslim for cultural identification but honestly I can't get myself to pray (i.e. find prayer positions amusing (sorry)). I'm only recently learning about Somali history, culture, clan structure, norms etc.

In my never ending quest, I periodically try to figure out what clan I am. My dad being a diplomat immersed himself in the cultures of the countries we lived in. He was so immersed that I think he might've internalized whiteness. So I'm 44, fully Somali, and don't know my clan. I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone and I take cracks at it with my Somali friends. Two years ago I was at a Somali restaurant in London and I overheard these Somalis discussing Somali politics. Being naive, I thought to jump in and interact with my people. I was of the belief (erroneously!!) that "Mooryaan" was a Somali clan. In fact I was so convinced of it that I adopted it temporarily until I figured out what I was. I would actually tell people I was Mooryaan and they would hastily change the subject and cringe. Anyway back to the restaurant. So I jumped in and asked "Saxiib Mooryaan miyatihiin?". This hit a nerve immediately and the first glass was flung my way within seconds. One of the men jumped out of his seat, escaped the grasp of more reasonable people holding him back, and launched himself at me. A brutal fistfight ensued and both of us received medical attention, before receiving police attention.

So long story short, I want you folks to tell me the names of Somali clans, what the slurs are and how they are all interrelated. I already know about Hawiye and Isaak. In fact I'm thinking of adopting Isaak as my new clan identity until I figure out who I am. So please, feel free to weigh in and educate this old khasaaro.

:russ::drakelaugh:

You’re so hilarious

Do you not have other relatives
People you can reach out to

I think you might be Darood tbh

Etacovda S'lived

תחיה מדינת ישראל
:russ::drakelaugh:

You’re so hilarious

Do you not have other relatives
People you can reach out to

I think you might be Darood tbh
Thanks sxb. I do have Somali relatives but they are also old khasaaros. Birds of the same feather flock together. Maybe I should go to Somalia and ask people around. I will research Darood. I've heard of it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Thanks sxb. I do have Somali relatives but they are also old khasaaros. Birds of the same feather flock together. Maybe I should go to Somalia and ask people around. I will research Darood. I've heard of it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Darood is not a slur sxb.
It's a legit qabil. Take the time to look up a term if you can't be sure if it's legit.
It's a qabil that mainly inhabits the northwestern/central part of Somalia. Basically Puntland.

Etacovda S'lived

תחיה מדינת ישראל
It's a legit qabil. Take the time to look up a term if you can't be sure if it's legit.
It's a qabil that mainly inhabits the northwestern/central part of Somalia. Basically Puntland.
Thats interesting. Thanks walaal. I will say it to someone at a distance and see how they react. I'll report back. I will probably tell people my dad and grandad's names and they will know. Too nervous though. My dad immersed himself in Danish, British and Icelandic cultures, almost to the point where he physically turned white. So forgive me

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Thats interesting. Thanks walaal. I will say it to someone at a distance and see how they react. I'll report back. I will probably tell people my dad and grandad's names and they will know. Too nervous though. My dad immersed himself in Danish, British and Icelandic cultures, almost to the point where he physically turned white. So forgive me
Sxb you don't need to say it to anyone :pachah1:
Look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darod
I appreciate you putting effort in because you don't want to be humiliated like last time, but you can trust me.
Ask me about anything and (if I know it), I'll answer honestly.

Darood inhabits North, north-east,central, south, west (ogadenia), Kenya and Xamar sxb

Etacovda S'lived

תחיה מדינת ישראל
Sxb you don't need to say it to anyone :pachah1:
Look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darod
I appreciate you putting effort in because you don't want to be humiliated like last time, but you can trust me.
Ask me about anything and (if I know it), I'll answer honestly.
Thanks sxb. I don't give likes because I might get carried away and indulge my sexual feelings to young people, which is problematic. This is a habit that I developed over the years and I dont know what to do about it. I get comfortable with people too quick. I apologize for the dirty laundry sxb.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Thanks sxb. I don't give likes because I might get carried away and indulge my sexual feelings to young people, which is problematic. This is a habit that I developed over the years and I dont know what to do about it. I get comfortable with people too quick. I apologize for the dirty laundry sxb.
Wait, what do likes have to do with sexual feelings?
Explain sxb :damedamn:
Also it's fine walaal, lots of people come on here for help, and a Somali forum is the perfect place to ask for help about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts