I have a question...

Revolutionary

Just follow the day and reach for the sun!
Honestly speaking, how does the N-word make you feel as a Somali? Do you feel demoralized or degraded by it? I ask because there has been alot of controversy surrounding many universities in Canada (uOttawa, Windsor and Concordia) that have had professors saying the N-word in class. Do you identify with the 'anti-black racism' rhetoric? Or do you feel like its an issue that only impacts descendants of slaves (African Americans and Caribbean's) and therefore, you feel like an outsider.
I personally do not care about the word in the sense of who says it since the word wasn't historically aimed at my people, and with the anti black racism, i feel like those who would be racist towards blacks would obviously also be racist towards Somalis so we'd be against a common enemy but then again plenty of blacks do not want anything to do with us so perhaps we fight our own discrimination separately

zubeirrrrrr

🇸🇴
It's a slur that targets all black people. You think a racist asks what your nationality is before calling you that? And why do non-Americans use the word against black people that aren't African American?
[/QUOTE
Actually... now that I think about it you do have a point. Because if somebody called me the n word it shows they lack basic human decency and respect.

Desert Flower

Staff Member
I personally do not care about the word in the sense of who says it since the word wasn't historically aimed at my people, and with the anti black racism, i feel like those who would be racist towards blacks would obviously also be racist towards Somalis so we'd be against a common enemy but then again plenty of blacks do not want anything to do with us so perhaps we fight our own discrimination separately
I agree. We need our own spaces and our own lobbying efforts to propel Somali-centered issues forward.

Nafiso Qalanjo

Meme Queen
I dont care tbh. I'm not a negreo, and neither were my ancestors.

Story time:
I got called the N word with a hard ''R'' when i was just chilling in the park by some older teens. I felt like trolling on that day so I said ''Allah Akbar'' and the once confident racist began running away with their tail behind their legs. :lolbron:

Last edited:

Abdisamad

No drama
VIP
Why is it they don't like us? Is it because we are muslims?

Abdisamad

No drama
VIP
@Desert Flower

Once this ignorant blue collar worker at my company came up to me complaining about his freedom of speech being limited because there was an on going debate about cadan people using the n word here we call the n word neger, anyway I told him I don't give a dead rats ass about the whole debate, so the cadan felt kinda offended then.. I guess he was expecting a different reaction from me:mjlol:

It is unsettling to be called a slur regardless of your historical links. Being referred to as anything but my name directly would be an insult, like if someone said you're a silly banana, you can get the gist it's meant to be a bit insulting but it's really mild so you don't really mind it as much as if it were a slur or something that poses a problem like the n word or the b word.

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
Even though my people weren't ever slaves I would still get offended if a white person called me the N-word. And that's only because Im aware of the meaning behind it and I know its being used in a negative derogatory way towards me.

Canvaboy

[ Macalin in somali genealogy and sociology]
Me personally I wouldn't get offended, because we deserve being called the N-word just like we call Bantus jareee/Adoon.

Yes, they hate Muslims. West-African Muslims in London are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet whereas the Christian ones hate Somali’s .
Even the Muslim ones show some level of envy. Especially when you’re amongst other Muslims you can tell

Even though my people weren't ever slaves I would still get offended if a white person called me the N-word. And that's only because Im aware of the meaning behind it and I know its being used in a negative derogatory way towards me.
Any cadaan openly calling you that word is doing it to get a reaction out you, by getting all worked up you're essentially letting them manipulate and dictate how you feel. You automatically lose if they get a rise out of you :manny:

Trending

Latest posts