I don't understand why Somali diaspora don't invest small factory businesses in Somalia

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Expensive energy costs is the big barrier to manufacturing in Somalia. Until we get more solar/wind energy or have an oil boom, it will always be cheaper to manufacture something in Ethiopia and have it trucked to Somalia.

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
Somalia is too corrupt they get billions every year by the west but the politicians take the money and put it in their pockets.

!
Your cayning skills are that good?! :dead: Did you consistently read and listen to Somali? Like 5 times a week or what?

Yes regularly in the beginning then we moved to Oslo where there is large Somali populations and for a year i went to a ghetto school full of Somali students and foreigners and that's where i learned all my cay.

Qali

Certified Pimp.
Yes regularly in the beginning then we moved to Oslo where there is large Somali populations and for a year i went to a ghetto school full of Somali students and foreigners and that's where i learned all my cay.
How is this? " qarabyahaw oo urriya oo fuutoda balaq balaq kassiniya"

Somali business men/women thrive their businesses out Somalia because they don't want to feed their entire tribe they belong to. You can't make coins when all your relatives lining up day in and day out for help. Nepotism is also another problem in Somalia not so much security .....if security was an issue they had fled from South Africa.

I agree with you. And the problem is not just the locals, it goes on both sides.
Example my adeer goes back to Somalia every year and everytime he goes there, he makes a ton of calls to relatives, bragging about his wealth and how he's bringing something to them..
If you went to Somalia and did your stuff silently, most of the people won't even bother you. But the diaspora love to show off too much.
And if every family in the west invested in various industries and set up factories, workshops, transportation companies in Somalia in large scale the locals will have jobs and they won't even bother to ask for handouts.

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
I'm already doing that in SL/Djibouti and maybe Somalia if car bombings quell down

You can’t industrialize without cheap stable and available energy that is next to impossible for the private sector to produce with blatant & obscene levels of corruption at every corner and constant violence/political instability.

Why build anything in Kismayo if the president is trying to fight a war against it? Why invest in Galkacyo when there are constant clashes between clans? Why spend time building a business in Somaliland when the president uses corruption and steals what people own using clan ties?

These are if anything some of the safest cities in Somalia your talking about don’t even get me started on Xamar or Baydhabo this is a rabbit hole.
My family has money business in places in Somalia, that our qabiil is non existent, we had no connection there. Some parts were even alshabab controlled at the time.
If there's a will there's a way sxb.

This is a good example of what your speaking on.

The dude is using the skills and machinery from UK in Somali, and has a monopoly on eggs now. All he needs to do is expand, perhaps get a few trucks.

Boom. Then you will have less importing eggs because they are made domestically now. There are all sorts of needs that could be met by businesses back home that aren't being satisfied.

Somalia imports meat? :williamswtf: :deadosama:

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
I always ask myself this question when I see successful businessmen and businesswomen who are doing well in countries like Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Tanzania etc

I think its because of security reasons, qabiil wars, caano qabiil etc

Somali’s for most part can’t be busy because they’re focused on other people most of the time. This is one of the reason we’re behind other nations.
Hearing about people with AKs can walk in claim your house as their own with no records or authority you can call for help. Doesn't make Somalia a sound investment

Nothing to do with war or qabil!

Its to do with energy. Factories need alot of power to run and electricity is expensive and inconsistent in somalia.

They need wind turbines or nuclear energy something to give the place adequate energy requirements.

Nothing to do with war or qabil!

Its to do with energy. Factories need alot of power to run and electricity is expensive and inconsistent in somalia.

They need wind turbines or nuclear energy something to give the place adequate energy requirements.
Solar energy per kWh is around $0.10, wind energy per kWh is $0.4.
There's no excuse for Somalis in the west. They could be making millions every year

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
There's plenty of peaceful places in Somalia, most of Somalia is peaceful land. There's no fighting going in most parts of Somalia.
It's a win win situation for both parties, diaspora would become wealthier in the west and the people in Somalia would get jobs, Somalia overall would become a better place.
After we kick started our own industrialization era, foreign investors will follow the trend and will invest more.
If we sit back and wait for the perfect time, nothing would change. Somalis would get robbed by foreigners and our resources will be taken by foreign countries.
They may be peaceful but it's also insanely corrupt and there's no regulation. There's no banking system. Electricity is expensive. Your property or land may be jeopardized. I was planning on starting a business with my capital and I took years to research this field, I drew up business plans and create the right network, but after taking advice from people I realized that I was doomed to fail. Somali peace and peace are also not the same thing. A tribal fight can break out anywhere in Somalia and go on for days which will hurt your business.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Hearing about people with AKs can walk in claim your house as their own with no records or authority you can call for help. Doesn't make Somalia a sound investment
They can claim your house is built on land they own by creating fake deeds and if you oppose them they will fight you for it but to be fair that's mostly in the south.

They may be peaceful but it's also insanely corrupt and there's no regulation. There's no banking system. Electricity is expensive. Your property or land may be jeopardized. I was planning on starting a business with my capital and I took years to research this field, I drew up business plans and create the right network, but after taking advice from people I realized that I was doomed to fail. Somali peace and peace are also not the same thing. A tribal fight can break out anywhere in Somalia and go on for days which will hurt your business.

Forget Somalia. Even those delusional Isaaqs that live in London keep their money in western banks. How come the Isaaqs have not pooled their money together and built a serious powerplant for Somaliland? Because they like the idea of Somaliland but would not dare live in that cesspool. Its all just a trick they play on the locals. Sickening.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
I agree with you. And the problem is not just the locals, it goes on both sides.
Example my adeer goes back to Somalia every year and everytime he goes there, he makes a ton of calls to relatives, bragging about his wealth and how he's bringing something to them..
If you went to Somalia and did your stuff silently, most of the people won't even bother you. But the diaspora love to show off too much.
And if every family in the west invested in various industries and set up factories, workshops, transportation companies in Somalia in large scale the locals will have jobs and they won't even bother to ask for handouts.

That showing off part is a mf. We ain't shit over here and we tryna stunt on people with more humble pockets. Looking like food to hungry wolves is a foolish move.
I agree with the last paragraph for the most part, however a lot of our relatives can't hold money like a leaking bag cant hold water and they don't have the sense of responsibility of taking care of shit. Even the goats have more manners than the locals. At least the goats knock on the door before entering the premises

Trending