How your parents fled the civil war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madaxkuti

FieldMarshalMadaxkuti
Did your parents ever tell you how they fled the civil war, things they witnessed during it and what they were doing before it education etc. And were most peoples parents in Mogadishu during that time?

My dad went in1990. He said he looked at xamar and predicted that shit was going down. Hr went north to Las Qoray and from there after visiting family he went to Yemen to live with family. Through there he found out about the civil war and went to Syria. He got caught trying to cross the border and sent to Libya. There he worked and lived until he was granted asylum to Australia via Egypt.

My great granddad fought for the British against the natives.
All the natives do is drink and shit on the streets.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
They used fake passports to get into Europe via airplane. When border controls were easy (pre-9/11/Islamophobia).

Keo

VIP
My dad was in Iraq before the war in 1989 and worked there for 6 months. He left after 6 months and from there he travelled to Russia and took a train from there to Finland. My mother left Somalia in 1991 she travelled to Yemen and from there to Saudi Arabia and stayed there until 1994.

Last edited:

Madaxkuti

FieldMarshalMadaxkuti
My dad was in India studying in uni at the time and mum was in uni in xamar. Around november 1990 one midnight everyone left the campus and started fleeing to Kenya there were two routes one by speedboat from xamar to Mombasa another by road to liboi Kenya my mum took the road route and there were bandits and mafia along the way and some of the group died from gunfire aimed at the convoy after staying in Kenya for a while she got to the UK in late 91

ExcessFame

True Villain
fbi-tip.jpg

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
There was a lot of fleeing and smuggling involved. Both of my parents stayed at Utanga Refugee Camp, which was outside of Mombasa, Kenya

Malcolm X

The price of freedom is death
My parents fled via Arab world nations then applied for a permission to live in Europe.

How common was it for Somalis to live in Djibouti and Ethiopia before the civil war?

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
I think its amazing we are the direct descendants of a generation that experienced such a brutal civil war.

We can rebuild this nation and we have the stories from the direct sources. We must learn from the errors of our parents and grandparents generation and build the beautiful country called Somalia.

I love hearing of my dad's story. He walked for days with no food or water to cross to Kenya. He was one of the unfortunate individuals who experienced the grunt of the civil war and he saw horrible atrocities. I will one day write a book of my father's account.

Somalia ha noolata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts