How to be code monkey

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
Fucking hate my current job as a cashier, my hooyo won't let me quit and there's not much better places I can work as. Really want to get a tech job or internship but a lot of people told me it would take a couple years at least to build up enough experience.
I have decent experience in Java and passed my AP comp sci exam so not completely incompetent, made a couple board game GUIs and know basic things like abstraction and inheritance but know literally nothing about stacking, queries, threading and other things you'll learn in a standard data structures class. Are there any good projects I can make at my current level to improve? Don't really like slogging through textbooks because I usually forget most of it anyways

Calaami

Garaadka Guud ee Beesha Calaamka
You may have holes in your knowledge so I def advise to hit the books ad grind whatever you’re not familiar with.

Grind either Java or Python (preferably both). Peep your local unis CS syllabi and work as if you’re in that class with them.

After, hop into studying Data Structures and Algos, and make a Leetcode account. Grind there.

Then, get this book “Cracking the Coding Interview”, read thru it.

Open a Github, post projects there whilst you study. They don’t have to be that great, just be consistent in posting stuff.

Make sure your resume is 10/10, lie if you have to. You just gotta make sure they don’t screen your resume out.

At this point you’re set to apply for entry level dev jobs. Major time investment.

If you aren’t confident self studying, look into bootcamps:trumpsmirk:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Most ppl do contribute to Github, or improve their skills through camp sites like Hacker rank, data camp or geektastic
U still in Uni learning? Then wait for internship and meanwhile do exercises, if you don't like reading you will probably gonna have problems in the future.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Fucking hate my current job as a cashier, my hooyo won't let me quit and there's not much better places I can work as. Really want to get a tech job or internship but a lot of people told me it would take a couple years at least to build up enough experience.
I have decent experience in Java and passed my AP comp sci exam so not completely incompetent, made a couple board game GUIs and know basic things like abstraction and inheritance but know literally nothing about stacking, queries, threading and other things you'll learn in a standard data structures class. Are there any good projects I can make at my current level to improve? Don't really like slogging through textbooks because I usually forget most of it anyways
If you have decent experience in Java, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job. You need to go to programmer events and network with people, your knowledge can be basic if the people around you like you. I did some basic python last year and my friends were ready to recommend me for positions.

Awad

If you have decent experience in Java, you shouldn't have trouble finding a job. You need to go to programmer events and network with people, your knowledge can be basic if the people around you like you. I did some basic python last year and my friends were ready to recommend me for positions.
Did you get those positions?

Awad

I'm tryna make a good beginner project that will give me experience but I can't think of anything. Making we sites seem kinda fun but dont want to do webdev yet

Can you explain to all the other programming noobs?
@Timoweyn get in here
Of course; let us start with a simple one.

Are you familiar with 'ls' in *unix env.? If so, write a programme, preferably in python, env. agnostic, preferably for Win, *nix, and macOS, which would query any dir, with a given target, query string, and provide the following:
- fileName,
- fileType,
- fileSize,
- Headers,
- Signature, incl. hashes ie SHA*, prederbaly 256;
- Who owns the target file(s) i.e which groups,
- Last time it was modified, and by whom?

Spit out any files of which sizes are:
<= 100 bytes,
=> 1 gig

Identify all binary fileTypes, and their original source, meaning who compiled the file, and under what env.

Let us start with that, and see how you fare.

Postscript:
And if you are really ambitious, we could bring in IA & ML into the equation.

Addendum:
Oh by the way, I asked the Admin to create a Mentor section of the site, where we could move these conversations; I think that would be more befitting.

Last edited:

Trending