How do Somali tribes establish their nicknames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
Usually their founder has a generic Arabic or generic Somali name.. but then tribes are known by completely different nicknames? Who chooses those nicknames? Were they created by the founder or years later?

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Usually their founder has a generic Arabic or generic Somali name.. but then tribes are known by completely different nicknames? Who chooses those nicknames? Were they created by the founder or years later?
The nickname of the Clan's founder (Male or Female) is the clan's nickname. For example: Habar Majeerteen and Habar Gidir (named after the mothers of Maxamed Harti and Madarkicis).

Apollo

VIP
The nickname of the Clan's founder (Male or Female) is the clan's nickname. For example: Habar Majeerteen and Habar Gidir (named after the mothers of Maxamed Harti and Madarkicis).

How did Dhulbahante, Siwaaqroon, Warsangeli get their name? Sounds kind of weird tbh.

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
How did Dhulbahante, Siwaaqroon, Warsangeli get their name? Sounds kind of weird tbh.
It's not weird at all. Somali nicknames are catchy and memorable. It's easier to become famous in Somali society when you have a nickname... That's why each clan has its unique nickname.

Apollo

VIP
Jidwaaq is another example of a pre-islamic clan name. It means "Lord's path".

Not all clan names are pre-Islamic though.

Somalis were already Muslim by the time those subclans were created. Waaq just means God in original Somali before it got the pagan connotation more recently.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
People don't give themselves nicknames and i doubt these clans did either.

Most likely other related/neighboring subclans created it for the same reason we give people nicknames... to differentiate between similar sounding names and to mock them.

I always though that Dulbahante meant "needing land" i.e. a homeless clan when I was younger.

Still haven't found the real meaning behind it.

“The mother of Hirabä was Faduma Karanlä. The mother of Abgal was Faduma Sargellä, who was an Aguran. She was espoused by ‘Isman Darandollä. By him she had a son, who was called by the name ‘Ali ‘Isman. Later one went to Sargellä Garën. A learned old man went to him. He said: ‘O noble Sargellä, I saw in the books that the children of the boy born to your daughter Faduma will chase your children from the earth. I saw it in the books.’ ‘Did you see these things?’ ‘Yes, I saw them,’ he answered. ‘So be it!’ the noble Sargellä replied; and into his heart came the thought: ‘Rather than that your children, whom you have begotten, be killed, the son of your daughter might rather die!’ This came into his heart. After this he prepared two different amulets, one good and one bad. The bad one would kill the one who drank it. The good one would protect from any evil of this world. Then he went to his daughter. ‘My Faduma, I am bringing you these two amulets: this one here — and it was the good one — you drink; and the other one — and it was the bad one — give to your son ‘Ali ‘Isman!’ The girl took the two amulets; but when it came to drinking them, she made a mistake! Faduma Sargellä drank the bad one and died immediately. ‘Ali ‘Ismän drank the good one and survived. Sargellä went back to the hut and saw his daughter dead. And the boy, when he heard his grandfather arrive, ran to the side of a saddle camel and hid behind it. ‘Oh ‘Ali, oh ‘Ali! Come! I am your grandfather!’ Sargellä cried out, looking for the boy. ‘You are not my grandfather ( abkäy ), my grandfather is the camels.’ The camels ( gel ) in the language of one time were called gal . So afterwards he (‘Ali ‘Isman) had the name of Ab-gal (‘Camel-grandfather’).”

The tradition substantially recalls the ancient fights between the Abgal, nomadic pastoralists who from places farther north tried to open a way to the river, and the Aguran, who dominated the region of the Middle Webi. This historical content, of course, has been adapted in popular dress with the theme, so widespread in the folklore of quite different peoples, of the prediction of the unborn child destined to drive the reigning prince from the throne.

Enrico Cerulli - ”How a Hawiye tribe use to live”

@Apollo @Daughter of samaale

Last edited:
The nickname may have been the actual original name, with Arab names given later as part of the Arab Fathers history.

Irir for instance was supposed to be named Abdulrahman, but if the Abgaal abtirsi is accurate for instance Irir lived before Islam so that's not really possible.

Apollo

VIP
The nickname may have been the actual original name, with Arab names given later as part of the Arab Fathers history.

Irir for instance was supposed to be named Abdulrahman, but if the Abgaal abtirsi is accurate for instance Irir lived before Islam so that's not really possible.

Yes, but many tribes established in the 1600s or 1700s when Somalis were definitely Muslim still have those exotic old school Cushitic nicknames. So, it can't be all pre-Islamic.

@Karim's hypothesis of it functioning as a marketing tool may be the most accurate explanation. People remember those nicknames better than generic Somali or Arabic first/last names.

Yes, but many tribes established in the 1600s or 1700s when Somalis were definitely Muslim still have those exotic old school Cushitic nicknames. So, it can't be all pre-Islamic.

Oh yes, and the naynaas tradition of colourful and unique nicknames is a great part of Somali culture. I mean even the president is better known by his naynaas. If you mention Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed noone is going to know who you're talking about until you say Farmaajo.

People don't give themselves nicknames and i doubt these clans did either.

Most likely other related/neighboring subclans created it for the same reason we give people nicknames... to differentiate between similar sounding names and to mock them.

I always though that Dulbahante meant "needing land" i.e. a homeless clan when I was younger.

Still haven't found the real meaning behind it.

Could also mean Dhul-ba-hanti meaning land is their wealth which was later changed to Dhulbahant(e):ehh::ohhh::yacadiim:

Status
Not open for further replies.