How did Ethiopia survive the Scramble for Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
According to the video it was because of their clever leaders and them maneuvering diplomacy between the UK and Italy.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Mountainous areas, experience in state-building, religion, clever leaders and cohesive people. I even have heard of my relatives great great grandfathers fighting alongside Menelik against Europhiles.

That's called occupation yaa ukhti
Literally not difference, what’s the difference?

It’s a play on words. For years they were part of colonial east Africa. Only rescued by the brits (not themselves)

It one of those victors writing the history things. Had Italy one they’d be a former colony.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Literally not difference, what’s the difference?

It’s a play on words. For years they were part of colonial east Africa. Only rescued by the brits (not themselves)

It one of those victors writing the history things. Had Italy one they’d be a former colony.
With Ethiopia not even 1 generation fully experienced occupation. That is called colonization.

World

VIP
Or all of Somalia. Maybe even the world? Just briefly occupied.
The Italians invaded Ethiopia with 500,000 soldiers, 795 tanks, 2000 artillery pieces and 595 aircrafts in 1935, and yet they still suffered 208,000 casualties and were almost defeated. They even dropped chemical weapons like tear gas grenades, sulphur mustard and asphyxiating gas against the Ethiopians.

Comparing the Ethiopian Kingdom with Somalia is hilarious. I don't think the Italians and the British combined even had 1000 soldiers in Somalia, let alone some petty desert tribal kingdom.

The scramble for Africa refers to the 19th century were Europe carved out Africa between themselves, where as your link is talking about the occupation of Italy during WWII.

And there is a distinction between an occupation and colonization. Just like how we say the Germans occupied France and not colonized them during WWII we can not say the Italians colonized Ethiopia.

They never had full control of it and were still fighting Ethiopians until they left.

The Italians invaded Ethiopia with 500,000 soldiers, 795 tanks, 2000 artillery pieces and 595 aircrafts in 1935, and yet they still suffered 208,000 casualties and were almost defeated. They even dropped chemical weapons like tear gas grenades, sulphur mustard and asphyxiating gas against the Ethiopians.

Comparing the Ethiopian Kingdom with Somalia is hilarious. I don't think the Italians and the British combined even had 1000 soldiers in Somalia, let alone some petty desert tribal kingdom.
The scramble for Africa refers to the 19th century were Europe carved out Africa between themselves, where as your link is talking about the occupation of Italy during WWII.

And there is a distinction between an occupation and colonization. Just like how we say the Germans occupied France and not colonized them during WWII we can not say the Italians colonized Ethiopia.

They never had full control of it and were still fighting Ethiopians until they left.
They were in control for over 5 years and were only kicked out by the brits. They were fighting and kicked out by other white European not by habeshis/ethiopians. So I’ll wait for a definition that actually distinguishes the two or that it was actually habeshis lmao. Pure semantics.

No, they didn't.

The invading force was not that large, that figure is the whole military.

:mahubowtf::mahubowtf:

They barely lost any soldiers and a large percentage of those soldiers actually came from Eritrea and Somalia.

They were in control for over 5 years and were only kicked out by the brits. They were fighting and kicked out by other white European not by habeshis/ethiopians. So I’ll wait for a definition that actually distinguishes the two or that it was actually habeshis lmao. Pure semantics.

How does 5 years partial military occupation compare to 60+ years for most African countries? The Italians did not even get a chance to to settle in before they got kicked out.

Another case of history being written by the victors (Brits) if not, no one was colonized. We were all briefly ‘occupied’.

The British helped us but that does not mean Ethiopians were sitting on their hands either. Ethiopians were fighting guerilla war for the 5 year occupation. We Never stopped.

How does 5 years partial military occupation compare to 60+ years for most African countries? The Italians did not even get a chance to to settle in before they got kicked out.

The British helped us but that does not mean Ethiopians were sitting on their hands either. Ethiopians were fighting guerilla war for the 5 year occupation. We Never stopped.
How was it partial in comparison to other Africa countries? Colonizers never fully occupied the country side of most countries.

And most countries had guerilla movements fighting the colonizers. Somalia had multiple. Still you were occupied and saved by other euros.

Accept reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending