How did english become lingua franca of the world

It became a global language because British imperialism lasted for three centuries, and former colonies made English their official language. I guess the other countries followed suit after because of practicality and strengthened by globalization.

psyche

To each their own
It became a global language because British imperialism lasted for three centuries, and former colonies made English their official language. I guess the other countries followed suit after because of practicality and strengthened by globalization.

I would also like to add that they were also good at commiting mass genocide and replacing the original settlers with their own kin.

They did get a little help from the immature immune system of the natives though.

Last edited:
The No.1 reason is the British Empire. After the dissolution of the British Empire, the rise of USA to Superpower status after WW2 cemented the use of English language as the main international language & prevented the French language from over-taking.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Is it because of murica or there is more to it

No. It is because of Great Britain. They were ahead of the pack being the first industrialized empire. During their empire rampage, ie, colonizing America, they by accident....created a colony of their own kind, English men & women in America who wanted to be free.

So basically, u r right, America is responsible. Because it is the greatest free country in the world. Even tho America borrowed the English language from its mother land United Kingdom, it is the leader of the world.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
After they beat the French is the colonies and trade with India it became the language of business. French was considered the language of diplomats so only the elite/educated class spoke it. The common man learned to speak English.