How accurate is this Elmenteitan reconstruction?

elmenteita_a_by_philipedwin_detc563-fullview.jpg

The artist has been making reconstructions for a couple years now. I don't sense any bias or racism in his other works. Still, why does this South Cushite from the Kenyan rift valley look like an Abdalla??:faysalwtf:

Compared to modern people, they're supposed to be most closest to Somalis

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Their Eurasian:Sub-Sahran African ratio is the same as ours however their SSA ancestry is less Proto-Nilotic and more Omotic-like HG as compared to us.

Does that explain the unexpected appearance of this reconstruction?

Another aspect that makes me doubt the accuracy is the artist labeled this reconstruction of Elmenteitan A as Mesolithic, although he initially believed it should be dated around pastoral Neolithic. I think he's an amateur, as his references say there's older (Mesolithic) HG samples mixed with the Cushitic Neolithic types.

His other works: https://www.deviantart.com/philipedwin/gallery/all

His reference for the reconstruction (it's in Russian): https://antropogenez.ru/zveno-single/317/

Last edited:
I have been against validating these facial reconstruction bullshit from the beginning, bro. Had some artist made a sketch, or an elaborate drawing of those people, that would be as valid, in my opinion.

Just look at the dude, what could have possibly inspired the pseudo-science artist to give the guy hazel eyes, or whatever the heck the shade of eye-color it is categorized as. Forget the facial thickness dimensions, which are impossible to gauge properly, and focus on the apparent traits, that dude looks nothing like current East Africans in all its diverse mosaic forms.

The Elementeita folks were in the same genetic cluster as Pastoral Neolithic herders, the only difference was a distinct cultural lifeway. There might have been just a handful of foragers that happen to maybe partake in some of their material culture, but they were very distinct from those hunter-gatherers. So yeah, in conclusion, those people belonged to a Neolithic culture. I don't know where he got Mesolithic from.

It isn’t a reconstruction of elementian culture. That skull the reconstruction is based of is from the Mesolithic. It’s thousands of years before and they would have been some of the early Eurasian migrants into Kenya . That’s why they wouldn’t look identical to Somalis. Eurasian groups were in Kenya prior to Somalia.

It isn’t a reconstruction of elementian culture. That skull the reconstruction is based of is from the Mesolithic. It’s thousands of years before and they would have been some of the early Eurasian migrants into Kenya . That’s why they wouldn’t look identical to Somalis. Eurasian groups were in Kenya prior to Somalia.
Correct me if I'm wrong. The Mesolithic dating of Elmenteitan A was done on the assumption that all the bones found at Bromhead's site cemetery were contemporary.

"The UCLA radiocarbon sample was processed under the assumption that a mixture of skeletal parts of different individuals who are contemporary should yield a date of that time period."​

Elmenteitan A skull wasn't a part of the fragments that were dated. The radiocarbon dating was done on a mixed group of fragments that didn't include the skull.

"epiphyses of fibulae and ossa calcis of several juveniles, tali of at least three individuals, several lumbar vertebrae, parts of two left femora, parts of three tibiae, and fragmentary pieces of humeri".​

"Future absolute dating should concentrate on a comparison of individual dates of different skeletons"​

Stratification at the site was poor and samples were mixed together with the changing water levels. Isn't it possible they conflated the Mesolithic HGs with the Eurasian pastoralists?

I once read that when our ancestors arrived from North Africa, their skin and features were not very African, but with time and mixing with the local population, they had a different, independent look.And they became more African
IMG-20221116-WA0000.jpg

Trending