Honest question when did somalia become poor?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yaquub, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Yaquub

Yaquub

Ratings:
    +1,984
    I mean surely as a sea faring ppl we were never extremely rich but never as poor as we are today. I recall we used to trade it india and china in the past and some historians could argue that egypt used to get gold and frankincense from us. So my question is how did we go from being moderately rich and using our resources wisely to the point that we traded with other nations to being extremely poor?. The japanese were not that rich before contact with the western world but like us they used to trade with others and thus were not extremely poor either. Any historians who can answer my question?

2. DaMan

DaMan

Ratings:
    +106
    Being poor is the default state. It doesn't matter what Egypt was getting from "us" millennia ago. We don't even know if that was "us" back then. And even if it was that is hardly evidence that our ancestors as a whole were prosperous.

Somalia is the shithole that it is right now because of qabilism. Period.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Apollo

Apollo Useful idiot Staff Member

Ratings:
    +15,113
    Somalis were not sea faring. Only a tiny minority lived on the coast. Vast majority were nomads living in the interior.

It always was poor. All countries before 1800 were. Only with the industrial era did some countries become 'rich' on average.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Norwegian-Somali

Norwegian-Somali

Ratings:
    +887
    Some might’ve been poor but they ate well and never starved, I think that’s in the south.

5. zeinap83

zeinap83

Ratings:
    +1,174
    Weve been broke from day 1 sxb. Anyone who says otherwise is romanticizing somali history.

6. SomaliSavage0

SomaliSavage0

Ratings:
    +21
    When moryaan caydiid looted everything including the sewage pipes

7. Knowles

Knowles

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Because of the war Yaqub now go to sleep

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Yonis

Yonis Puntland Youth Organiser

Ratings:
    +14,499
    Most of the trade in somalia history was facilitated through the north eastern empires and Mogadishu, there are fortresses in modern Puntland that go back centuries

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nasiib Gaashaan Cade

Nasiib Gaashaan Cade

Ratings:
    +205
    We became poor, when we invited too many sand niggers in to our land and their culture. They brought us the bad type of nomadism, we were a modern nomads, who used to farm and fish and create their things like boat building, shoe making and art work. Since the sand niggers arrival all these creativity was considered to be laangaab, who eats fish became laangaab, who creates shoes and clothes was also considered laangaab
    Wlhi these sand niggers are threat to our existence.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted