History has just been made! SpaceX successfully lands the Falcon 9 rbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

syntax

@7ONE7 @TenTee
@SuldaanMethylamine

Wow. This is a HUGE milestone in space travel and exploration. Elon Musks (real life Tony Stark) company SpaceX successfully launched a rocket into space orbit, that was sent to deploy 11 satellites, and came back down vertically successfully and landed in it's original launch station. Was watching it with some of the engineers at work earlier during lunch and it felt so special, we were all in awe. It kinda felt like seeing the first rocket to ever launch.

Why should you give a f*ck?

Well before this, space exploration and travel meant that we spent hundreds of millions of dollars, sometimes up to a couple billion, developing a extremely advanced and complicated spaceship/rocket. Launching it. Then destroying it after we're done with it. Then repeating that process again. SpaceX successfully launched the first re-usable rocket. This is huge because we don't have to go through that whole process of recreating a rocket/spaceship and wasting billions of dollars. It basically slices the cost to travel in space by half, allowing us to have way more frequent trips up there. This simplifies space travel by a huge margin, it's a giant leap in the right direction for space aviation. The implications of this for normal everyday people is we are really close to achieving things like global wifi, since we can launch a shitload of satellites at a cheap cost now. The same company who just did this, SpaceX, already has plans for this http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-most-remote-locations-on-earth-10499886.html Soon we'll be snapchatting with out reer badiye fam. Imagine reer badiye nudes jheez.

Here's what SpaceX/Tesla founder (GOAT engineer of our time) has to say about this technology.

If you look at, say, the cost of a Falcon 9 rocket. It's a pretty big rocket. It's about a million pounds of thrust. It is the lowest cost rocket in the world, and even so, it's about $50 to $60 million, but the cost of the fuel, and oxygen and so forth, is only about $200,000. So obviously, if we can reuse the rocket, say, 1000 times, then that would make the capital costs of the rocket per launch, only about $50,000. There'd be maintenance and other things that we'd factor in there, and fixed costs and some overhead allocation, and what not, but it would allow for about a 100 fold reduction in launch costs, and this is a pretty obvious thing if you think at it applied to any other mode of transport. You can imagine if planes were not reusable, very few people would fly. You know, a 747 is about $300 million. You'd need two of them for a round trip, and yet I don't think anyone here has paid half a billion dollars to fly, and the reason is because those planes can be used tens of thousands of times and so all you're really paying for is fuel, and pilot costs and incidentals. The capital cost is relatively small. That's why it's such a giant difference.

S

syntax

lol While I'm sure a lot of the employees at SpaceX were Americans, this is not America's achievement to gloat about. NASA had nothing to do with this. Poor fuckers always underfunded, thats why they haven't done anything crazy in years. They have a huge budget, but too many responsibilities. So they can't focus on one thing. SpaceX is leading space technology right now...a private company headed by Elon Musk. Dude is half Canadian, half South African. Anyways this achievement belongs to all mankind, we're all going to benefit from this.

As I struggled to get out of bed in the morning what I did was reach for my iPhone and went to YouTube. My notifications included this videos from spacex's channel that I am subscribed to so it was the first thing I had watched today.

This is news that i have been following for two months now I wasn't surprised to watch this thirteen secounds of an engineering marvel

After each achievement in a scientific field you start to realise why it is good that we do some clever accounting and make it expensive for us to plan and execute projects in any field of science. When you add money to anything then what happens is laziness is removed and the best and brightest are challenged to walk around the costs which then leads to them making innovations in order to meet the budget of the project and voowala you've got space rocket technology moving forward with our rockets now being re-usable instead of just becoming useless after the rockets launch an object in to space or earth orbit like satellites.

What I am wondering though is how will spacex compete with Boeing which is eventually going to turn more of its attention towards space in order for it to get a slice of the governments projects. Boeing has already established itself in the defence Industry and started giving Lockheed Martin a competition for government contracts so I fear that spacex might become an even smaller fish in a big pond if Boeing which is a giant decides to dig it's fingers into the space industry.

S

syntax

What I am wondering though is how will spacex compete with Boeing which is eventually going to turn more of its attention towards space in order for it to get a slice of the governments projects. Boeing has already established itself in the defence Industry and started giving Lockheed Martin a competition for government contracts so I fear that spacex might become an even smaller fish in a big pond if Boeing which is a giant decides to dig it's fingers into the space industry.

Competition is the best thing that can happen in the technology industry and business in general, you never want one entity to be comfortable with their market share/dominance. That usually results in a lack of innovation due to costs trying to be cut. But if we have a bunch of companies competing, they'll always trying to outdo each other. Bring it on Space X, Boeing, and Lockheed. Lets see what you niggas got:win:

I'm sure SpaceX will figure out a way. Imagine if the electric car industry blows up 30 years from now and Tesla emerges as a automotive giant. That would be huge for spacex

I'm sure SpaceX will figure out a way. Imagine if the electric car industry blows up 30 years from now and Tesla emerges as a automotive giant. That would be huge for spacex

:qri8gs7: Round of applause to you sir because I did not include the amount of liquid cash that spacex would have at it's disposal if tesla dominated the future CO2 free car industry which it looks like it is set to do with Elon musk already laying the foundations for a post hydrocarbon fuel society not just cars but he is also developing ways to power a house remotely and off the national grid.

Competition is the best thing that can happen in the technology industry and business in general, you never want one entity to be comfortable with their market share/dominance. That usually results in a lack of innovation due to costs trying to be cut. But if we have a bunch of companies competing, they'll always trying to outdo each other. Bring it on Space X, Boeing, and Lockheed. Lets see what you niggas got:win:

So who do you think will be the leading company in the upcoming decades that dominates the game ? I believe Lockheed Martin is the secret big daddy in all of this. Their foundations have been laid decades ago and now all they can do is bring achievement home after achievement.

S

syntax

:qri8gs7: Round of applause to you sir because I did not include the amount of liquid cash that spacex would have at it's disposal if tesla dominated the future CO2 free car industry which it looks like it is set to do with Elon musk already laying the foundations for a post hydrocarbon fuel society not just cars but he is also developing ways to power a house remotely and off the national grid.

So who do you think will be the leading company in the upcoming decades that dominates the game ? I believe Lockheed Martin is the secret big daddy in all of this. Their foundations have been laid decades ago and now all they can do is bring achievement home after achievement.

Honestly don't know man. kkkkk nobody knows what the future holds.

One thing I can say for certain though, Google will be a huge part of the future for sure. I think this flew above most peoples heads but Google recently re-branded. It's not just google anymore, their now called Alphabet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_Inc.). Huge conglomerate that makes more money than any of the companies we mentioned in this thread. Think about all the personal information and data we willingly hand over to google. Everyone uses google search. Google maps is the 6th most used app in the world. Even if you turn off GPS on your phone, they can still track your location. Youtube (owned by google) also records all your viewing patterns and history. And Android is the most used mobile operating systemSo basically they have every facet of our life covered. Kind of weird how everyone is cool with it though

From the geeky programming world, most of us LOVE google. Because their innovative, encourage and glorify open source projects, and their shit is usually always really good. But it makes me think...damn these guys got the average users and the tech savvy users all on board...alongside with all that amount of personal data they collect on us. Makes you think about where we are headed with this and what will privacy mean in the future :kanyehmm:

Just take a look at this list...Google owns 5/10 of the most used Apps. Even more than Apple. Which means not only do they have a huge control over Android users, but also Apple users...since this list combines both iOS and Apple. Scary shit to think about eh...

unnamed-13.png

unnamed-2.png

S

syntax

lol sorry went off on a little tangent. I brought up Alphabet Aka Google cuz they have invested up to 900 million in space x. That's a key investor right there. Any one that has Google on their side is on the winning team

I've always liked anything Google... I can't wait for global wifi. That seems like something you read in a scifi book. Google is already doing something similar but in a smaller scale. The Google Fiber project in Nebraska was pretty cool. Tho I wish our city won the bid :(

S

syntax

I've always liked anything Google... I can't wait for global wifi. That seems like something you read in a scifi book. Google is already doing something similar but in a smaller scale. The Google Fiber project in Nebraska was pretty cool. Tho I wish our city won the bid :(

ehh not really that excited for global wifi. It's probably going to be pretty slow compared to the fibre optic cable speeds we have here. It'll probably really useful for delivering internet to extremely remote areas and countries with under developed telecommunications.

Google Fiber is amazing, but it's sad knowing that it wont be coming to Canada for a long time because of the tight restrictions there are for non-Canadian companies to come here and set up base in the telecommunications market. The biggest cockblock to Google Fiber in the US is huge companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable sleeping with politicians and paying them to prevent any legislation getting through to allow google fiber to establish. Also there's the whole cost side to it...it's really expensive to start digging up shit in urban areas with large population densities.

ehh not really that excited for global wifi. It's probably going to be pretty slow compared to the fibre optic cable speeds we have here. It'll probably really useful for delivering internet to extremely remote areas and countries with under developed telecommunications.

Google Fiber is amazing, but it's sad knowing that it wont be coming to Canada for a long time because of the tight restrictions there are for non-Canadian companies to come here and set up base in the telecommunications market. The biggest cockblock to Google Fiber in the US is huge companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable sleeping with politicians and paying them to prevent any legislation getting through to allow google fiber to establish. Also there's the whole cost side to it...it's really expensive to start digging up shit in urban areas with large population densities.

I give it 5 to 10 years... No amount of lobbying will be enough to stop technological progress. At some point, these huge telecommunication companies will have to change their business model if they don't wanna be left hanging dry (like what happened to taxi companies after Ūber was introduced). Especially since being connected to the net is becoming more an assential part of life to the new generations. Outdated methods of doing things are what kills companies. Besides, I would assume companies like Google do their own lobbying... They certain got the capital to back up any new ideas they come up with. To you Canadians, I wish you luck... Hopefully Google can make thru the restrictions somehow.

@syntax

I have a suspicion that since NASA is a research and exploration governmental agency then it's leadership passes on blue prints, research information and materials along with theories that have been produced by their naive employees(some of the best scientist on the globe) to defence contractors such as Lockheed Martin and Boeing, Raytheon etc.. All with the NASA scientist not knowing that their work is contributing the USA's military industrial complex. NASA's sole purpose is to gather information and formulate ways in which this knowledge which they have been researching can be exploited so it is very logical to assume that Lockheed Martin has behind the scenes access to all of NASA blue prints and research papers which then allows a civilians agencies knowledge to be used for defence purposes all with out the NASA scientist knowing what is going on and what their work is being used for.

Sort of like J. Robert Oppenheimer not knowing that he is actually inventing the atomic bomb Every morning when he heads to work.
I think this answers your question about why NASA is not doing anything crazy like going to mars when they feel like it, NASA has been repurposed ever since they put a man on the moon.
NASA had nothing to do with this. Poor fuckers always underfunded, thats why they haven't done anything crazy in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending