Have you faced blatant anti muslim bigotry?

Hope u ain’t traumatised. I feel like based on your experiences you’re not that young
I’m in my early twenties lol so I’m not that young. But yeah sis I’m over it now. At the time I was so angry because I was jumped and had no one there to back me but I hope they got karma.

I’m in my early twenties lol so I’m not that young. But yeah sis I’m over it now. At the time I was so angry because I was jumped and had no one there to back me but I hope they got karma.
You’re not old at all, but I definitely got the vibe that u aren’t a teenager. I really despise people that target someone on their own. It’s crazy how mob mentality emboldens people. Was it random while being out, or connected to school. Were they girls?

You’re not old at all, but I definitely got the vibe that u aren’t a teenager. I really despise people that target someone on their own. It’s crazy how mob mentality emboldens people. Was it random while being out, or connected to school. Were they girls?
Random girls who were looking for trouble .. they were throwing stuff and I told them to stop and one girl thought it would be a good idea to threaten me and say “I’ll pull your headscarf off you terrorist” I told her to do it ( bad idea) she did it then we started fighting. The rest of her friends jumped in and let’s just say my body was in agony after that 😪 I went home bleeding and bless my hoyo she started going crazy.

Calmone20

Formerly CalmOne
Random girls who were looking for trouble .. they were throwing stuff and I told them to stop and one girl thought it would be a good idea to threaten me and say “I’ll pull your headscarf off you terrorist” I told her to do it ( bad idea) she did it then we started fighting. The rest of her friends jumped in and let’s just say my body was in agony after that 😪 I went home bleeding and bless my hoyo she started going crazy.
Wallahi gaalada waa bilaa naxriis.

Bless you, you’re brave. I hope for their sake they’ve matured

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
I had a highschool teacher make a snide comment to me before. That's the most blatant it's gotten. Aside from that, I noticed people tend to treat you with less decency and politeness if you wear a headscarf. Strangers may avoid sitting near you, people are more hesitant to befriend you, customer service reps aren't as polite or accommodating, men can be openly rude or hostile, etc.

I remember vividly in yr 7, my history teacher, she was an Cadaan women. She never said anything or necessarily treated me different but she was a bit cold, and I could tell since i sat in the 1st row. Fast forwards a short while, I was a good student and was like top 2 students in her class, and then she really liked me after that. I had her until yr 8. My guess is she already began to pre judge me from seeing i was black and wore hijab.

Other than that, I just get stares/rude looks when about in public sometimes. And I notice that on public transport certain people won’t sit near me if they can avoid it (pre covid).
Tbh It’s really tame compared to what a lot of hijab wearing women have experienced alhamdulillah. So no it’s not terrible bigotry

I remember vividly in yr 7, my history teacher, she was an Cadaan women. She never said anything or necessarily treated me different but she was a bit cold, and I could tell since i sat in the 1st row. Fast forwards a short while, I was a good student and was like top 2 students in her class, and then she really liked me after that. I had her until yr 8. My guess is she already began to pre judge me from seeing i was black and wore hijab.

Other than that, I just get stares/rude looks when about in public sometimes. And I notice that on public transport certain people won’t sit near me if they can avoid it (pre covid).
Tbh It’s really tame compared to what a lot of hijab wearing women have experienced alhamdulillah. So no it’s not terrible bigotry
I think it’s worse for Somali women because we are black and visibly Muslim. We can’t really win even if we took of our hijabs we would be racially abused 😭 Stay safe though sis there’s crazy people out there.

Calmone20

Formerly CalmOne
I think it’s worse for Somali women because we are black and visibly Muslim. We can’t really win even if we took of our hijabs we would be racially abused 😭 Stay safe though sis there’s crazy people out there.
Muslim men have the privilege of not facing anti muslim bigotry.

I’ve had two incidents the first one happened to be in a train funnily enough I came home from a Somali event and boarded the last train home it was a train I always took to and from university. It was very busy and this cadaan woman was asking me why I wore the hijab and how I would look beautiful without it and all of a sudden we started insulting each other and I slapped her across the forehead. She was with two men and they were all drunk and later on I found out that they were members of the English defence league and this happened during the time when isis first came on the scene and were on the news constantly.

the second one was at this company and the department I was in was full of white people who would make indirect Islamophobic remarks here and there and it was very uncomfortable. I remember this cadaan guy tried to subtly compare me to a pig when the funny thing is that he is the one that looks like a pig.

Trending