Have you ever met a Somali whose their family name is taken from their colonisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm X

The price of freedom is death
I just met a person with a white name, she looks like a Somali though she's probably from somewhere else in East Africa. No cadaan genes in their blood she says.

I don't think Somalis has a history of taking names from their colonisers.

Jeesto

VIP
Many orphans were raised by the cadaans and werre given cadaan first and last names. The majority of those orphans are dead today or later adopted somali names but you can still find somalis who have white names as naanays

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Never.

The only things the colonizers left were a few specialized loanwords like dolshe and tuwaal :icon lol:

I've met many Somalis with Italian and British first names.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1537-1377621562-19.gif

my great grandfather's name became his nickname..his nickname was some sort of Italian or Portuguese word ( like how pres.Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed is known as farmajoo ). i wont bait the name b/c only my family has that name..ive never heard anyone else with it

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
They usually have it as a nickname or spell it different

Its usually Italian names

I had the nickname Fiorella named by my ayeeyo

I brought out many examples.

I am even excluding one particular female name

Johnson

Why do you exclude her? Is it Edna Aden? Edna is an old biblical name from the Old Testament and in Hebrew, it means "pleasure". A name is a name and like her, most of us carry Middle Eastern names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending