Google Translate and the Somali language has made me realize...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Somalis write Somali the way they want to write it. There's no other explanation. Or is there no standard?

There is no reason for Google Translate to not be able to translate a Somali sentence to at least an OK level like the other languages. 90% of the words just come back Somali. Google Translate added Somali a few years ago.

Hubble

VIP
There isn't a standard. All the regional differences are a standard where they're spoken and we have af Maay and other completely different dialects of Somali to the one we speak which means there's less of a standard the more you think about it.

angrycat

not so sad after all
this is what I've been saying since forever. there is no standard, everyone just writes however they speak.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
There is such a thing as standard Somali grammar; the problem is that so few Somalis have been taught their language formally.
Most just wing it or write what they feel is right.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I've seen older people sounding the words and writing them down. They write whichever they can pronounce it.

For example

One might pronounce mom as Hooyo or Hoyoo, hoyo.

How do you expect google translate to get all 3.

Apollo

VIP
Somali does have grammar rules and is standardized to some extent. Those who finish secondary education in Somalia should know them. The problem are all those in the diaspora or those in Somalia who didn't go to school who mess up the written language.

PS. Google Translate is a bit screwed up. Even in other languages.

ReeBorama

"I'd kill for a Noble Peace Prize"
The irony in this thread, its just quite funny how most of you who couldn't string couple of Somali sentences together with out making any spelling and grammatical mistakes, have come to the conclusion that Somali is not an standardized language:O27GWRK:

Do not use such idiotic sweeping statements like "Somali isn't standard language" as an excuse for your ineptness and incompetence in your own mother tongue. Somali language is standardized when it comes to writing and has only minor issues with certain words and letters.

In my mind, I believe Somali is the most easiest languages to write, thats if you master the speaking form first. The only people who are unable to write Somali correctly are the ones who are linguistically challenged, no offence :lol:

Btw, One would not write "mom" as mome" or Mother as Mather, so I honestly don't understand how one can have any difficulty writing Hooyo in its correct and standardized form.

Hoyo=go home:ulachen001:

Apollo

VIP
I once bought this Somali grammar book in Nairobi. Have it at my place, but never bothered to study it. It's detailed as f*ck. 400 pages full of rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending