NFD Development Thread

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
KENYA: Jiangxi International commissions 50 MWp Garissa Solar Power Plant

China Jiangxi Corporation for International Economic and Technical Co-operation (CJIC) completed the construction of the 50 MWp Garissa Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant. The plant was recently inaugurated in the presence of the authorities.

Kenya has just acquired a solar power plant. It is located in Mbalambala, in Garissa County in eastern Kenya. The plant was recently inaugurated in the presence of the Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta, and the authorities of Garissa County. The solar photovoltaic plant was built by the China Jiangxi Corporation for International Economic and Technical Co-operation (CJIC).

The plant consists of 200,200 solar panels connected to inverters and installed on an area of 85 hectares. The entire system produces 50 MWp. “I am very proud that the project has been successfully completed and is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. We hope it will serve Kenya for the next 25 years,” says Zhang Jian, representative of CJIC in Kenya.

The project was developed by the Kenya Rural Electrification Authority. This public institution has signed a 25-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Kenya Power (KPLC), the company that provides the electricity utility. Under the contract, KPLC will purchase a kWh of electricity at 12 shillings ($0.12), which is 8 shillings ($0.07) less than electricity generated from diesel, the main source of power in Garissa County.

The solar power plant, which is connected to the grid, is expected to supply 70,000 households in Garissa, or about 350,000 people. This represents almost half of the county’s population. The project required an investment of $13 billion, or just over $128.5 million. The Kenya Rural Electrification Authority relied on funding from Exim Bank of China to build the Garissa Solar Photovoltaic Power Plant.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

While we sit there waving a silly blue flag that is only a country in name but is completely dysfunctional. I want to escape this hellish situation called Somalia and join Ethiopia or Kenya. We would have access to major game changing projects then. I don't care what border PL is in as long as we progress rapidly and this isn't happening in this Somalia, ha laga tashdo.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Beat that dulis, 350,000 people connected to electricity in Garissa alone. Yet Somalia over-all electricity consumption is less then 250,000. How is it one district in NFD has more energy infrastructure then a whole fuckin nation of 12 million? the reason is, they are not stuck sharing a land with hawiye or isaaq

That one infrastructure answered 50% of Garissa population energy needs since the population is 900k. Just one project having such large impact is what I prefer.

Abaq

VIP
Don't forget the Modogaashe Highway currently under construction

BED5121E-AFF9-42AF-85FD-46C5C7EBF218.jpeg

Trending