Gardening thread! :)

Hi ladies and anyone who loves the green lush life. Share your tips and tricks on how to garden or what you recommend to start. For those who have a garden, what do you plant? Do you focus on food or flowers?
1611703035170.jpeg
1611703092706.jpeg

Types of Gardens
1) Vegetable garden. This may be the most popular and practical type of garden. By growing your own vegetables, you can save money and increase the number of fresh vegetables you eat.
2) Flower garden. A flower garden adds beauty to your yard and it can be a relaxing escape for you. If you are mainly interested in beautifying your property, then a flower garden may be the best choice. You can plant perennials, annuals, or a mixed garden

Soil test
Test your soil’s pH to see if you need to make changes to balance it. To do this, use a pH testing kit or make your own test at home and check the soil from your garden. Certain plants prefer different pH levels, but it is best to have soil that is as close to neutral - a pH of 7 - as possible.

Following the results of your pH test, if your soil is alkaline (above 7), try adding lime or wood ash to neutralize it. If your soil is acidic (below 7), add peat moss or decomposing leaves. Depending on what plants you want to grow you may not need to alter the pH. It is easier to grow plants that will survive in the existing soil.

Water
In America it’s pretty easy to get water anywhere. But in places like Somalia it’s not that easy. You can water and recycle at the same time. You know the myth of “overwatering“? It’s not true. Soak your plant in water all the way and then don’t water it until it dries up. Let it drink all the water. Overwatering would be adding more water when it’s still wet.
Accessories!
My favorite part of plant gardens are the decorating. Go crazy and have fun. Don’t forget to recycle and stay healthy!
🤍💚

Last edited:

Boogie

Islam wins doesnt take Ls Long Live Somalia 🇸🇴
My neighbors have vegetable garden and they gave my dad a lot of them we used to have a tomato plant but the kid across the street with autism sneaked in and destroyed it

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
You’re such a positive person mashallah! Let’s not derail her thread guys, this is sweet. I can’t plant but here’s some aesthetic pictures. @Desert Flower /mods pin this. this is creative wallahi. Somalis planting? Pshh
1611704203747.jpeg
1611704212451.jpeg
1611704231275.jpeg
1611704247742.jpeg
1611704261022.jpeg
1611704294443.jpeg

You’re such a positive person mashallah! Let’s not derail her thread guys, this is sweet. I can’t plant but here’s some aesthetic pictures. @Desert Flower /mods pin this. this is creative wallahi. Somalis planting? Pshh
View attachment 168306View attachment 168307View attachment 168308View attachment 168309View attachment 168310View attachment 168311
Somalis can plant, it’s just that we aren’t used to it. We prefer animals more! That’s just nature. I think more Somalis should go into agriculture. I would love to see that ☆*。(๑>◡<๑)。*☆

Last edited:

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
Somalis can plant, it’s just that we aren’t used to it. We prefer animals more! That’s just nature. I think more Somalis should go into agriculture. I would love to see that ☆*。(๑>◡<๑)。*☆
Somali colleges used to teach agriculture in the 70s. There are many people from the diaspora that are going back home and building gardens.

Somalia produced, in 2018, 209 thousand tons of sugarcane, 138 thousand tons of maize, 129 thousand tons of sorghum, 92 thousand tons of cassava, 75 thousand tons of vegetable, in addition to smaller productions of other agricultural products, like beans, banana, sesame seed, tomato, coconut, orange and dates
1611705436605.jpeg

I've flopped with my basil pot so many times I don't know why. But my Aloe Vera plant has been growing really well for the last few years. I want to figure out how to stop my basil from dying then grow my own herbs. I also want to have a flower garden but I'm undecided on the flowers to choose from. I also know absolutely nothing about gardening.

I've flopped with my basil pot so many times I don't know why. But my Aloe Vera plant has been growing really well for the last few years. I want to figure out how to stop my basil from dying then grow my own herbs. I also want to have a flower garden but I'm undecided on the flowers to choose from. I also know absolutely nothing about gardening.
Where do you live? The do better in 80-90 degree weather. Give it 8 hours of sun.

And aloe Vera is so fun! They can be used for anything. Food and beauty/skincare! And for flowers get inspiration online and choose what theme you want to go with. Last year I had the idea of planting a blue and white garden (Somali flag) but I never got to it. Maybe next time lol

Where do you live? The do better in 80-90 degree weather. Give it 8 hours of sun.

And aloe Vera is so fun! They can be used for anything. Food and beauty/skincare! And for flowers get inspiration online and choose what theme you want to go with. Last year I had the idea of planting a blue and white garden (Somali flag) but I never got to it. Maybe next time lol

I live in London so not much sun unless it's a heatwave lol. I will do some research from London based gardeners and florists to figure out what would work best in this climate.

I live in London so not much sun unless it's a heatwave lol. I will do some research from London based gardeners and florists to figure out what would work best in this climate.
Aww that’s tough. I think thats a great idea. Get in touch with local places. Also you don’t even need sunlight, there are cheap lights online!

Nafiso Qalanjo

𝖂𝖊'𝖗𝖊 𝖌𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖔 𝖜𝖆𝖗 𝖇𝖆𝖇𝖞!
My advice for you is to not use the same soil you already planted with since plants suck out all of the nutrition from the soil there growing from. Move to another patch of dirt, and fertilize the one that has been used.