Galdogob rapists found guilty and given prison times, lashes and fines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiiraan Online
Sunday, January 29, 2017

2017129636212658902396043galdogob_five.jpg

Five men have been convicted by a sharia court in Galdogob of gang-raping two girls in December

Garowe (HOL) - Five suspects involved in the brutal gang-rape of a 16-year-old girl in Galdogob, Puntland that sparked outrage have been sentenced to a combination of lashes, prison time and a fine by a sharia court in Galdogob today.

Six teenage boys allegedly forced two girls into a car and drove them to the outskirts of Galdogob before they girls were subjected to violent

A group of men was arrested earlier this month after they forced two girls into a car and drove them to the outskirts of Galdogob before they were violently raped and assaulted, a viral video surfaced of the attack which occurred in December of last year. One of the girls assaulted was hospitalized for a month following the attack.

A sentencing document obtained by HOL lists the sentences as follows

1) Shirwa Jama Junle was sentenced to 200 lashes, a ten-year prison sentence as well as a $4620 USD fine

2) Yasir Maher Hashi was sentenced to 200 lashes, an eight-year prison sentence and a fine of $3520USD

3) Ayanle Wale was sentenced to 100 lashes, a seven-year prison sentence and a fine $2560USD

4) Yahya Awka was sentenced to 100 lashes, a six-year prison term, and a fine of $1760USD.

5) Abdirizak Hosh Jibril was sentenced to 100 lashes, a five-year prison term and a fine of $1760USD.

The total sum of $14,220 is to be paid to the two victims. One victim will receive $6080 while the one who sustained more serious injuries will receive $8140.

A six man, who was initially arrested with the group was found not guilty by the court. According to testimony heard at the trial, he did not participate in the gang-rape and assault but he recorded it. The court ruled that the video was instrumental in securing the convictions of the other five men. He has been since released.

2017129636212659582577765galdogob_court.jpg

A Sharia court convicted five men and acquitted one of rape and assault

The Puntland Police commissioner, General Erag, has told HOL that the men will be transferred to a Garowe prison to serve out their sentence.

Puntland recently enacted a law criminalizing sexual assault under the Sexual Offense Act in December 2016, a first in Somalia. Under that law, a convicted rapist could receive up to a 30-year prison sentence. However cooperation with local elders as hindered the implication of the law.

2017129636212661778169019court_sentence2.jpg

may they get raped in prison and die

They definently will get raped. Rape is very common. Men over there are very horny with something to prove.

Imagine prison rape where everyone is serving many years.

These kids will be their adeer's prison . They won't be hit or beaten or anything. Somalis grab you by the shirt (except this time very hard since it's rape) to force you to do anything

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Not bad, but I hope the victims get the money directly.

The cameraman though, they act like he was doing the victims a favour. He put it on the net ffs!

Which is more sad, Puntland criminalising rape as recent as 2016 or it being the first in the peninsula to do so :mjkkk:

WTF its like this

f*ck kinda fulay shit is this

I read it served to be more of a humiliation than a capital punishment in shariah

I'm glad these men were punished. But it is a shame that it took a video for justice to be served. Rape is common in all parts of Somalia. From Awdal down to Kismaayo. It literally happens everyday. And nobody cares. Also, I highly doubt these full sentences will be served. Once the media attention dies down, they will be back to roaming the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts