For Those Of You Who Graduated College

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Was GPA a major factor when getting your first job right after you complete your degree ?

What were the type of requirements or skills did they need from you, im about to graduate soon and want to hit the job market right after but I got no experience just my degree

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world
Was GPA a major factor when getting your first job right after you complete your degree ?

What were the type of requirements or skills did they need from you, im about to graduate soon and want to hit the job market right after but I got no experience just my degree

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Horta what’s your major? I was able to get into an internship during my time at school so that helped me a lot when I got my job.

For your situation, if you got a really impressive GPA or made it on the deans list I’d suggest you put that on your resume. If not, don’t list it, just your degree and certifications.

If your looking for a specific job or role look at their website, and see if you fulfil their requirements and skills. Sometimes you gotta tailor your resume to what your applying to differently depending on your volunteer and work experience. Be prepared to write multiple different types and versions of cover letters. If you don’t match all of the requirements still take the shot. Your going to applying to alot of jobs in this stage and it may feel defeating but you have to keep trying.

To boost your resume, go on LinkedIn learning take some online courses for free that would enchance your qualifications.

Make dua and inshallah you’ll get a job. Soak up as much experience as possible and either stay or apply to a different one.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Honestly, as long as you passed your course you can get an amazing job if you network well and did extracurriculars.

I got many job offers without even mentioning my marks or showing my transcript lol.

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Horta what’s your major? I was able to get into an internship during my time at school so that helped me a lot when I got my job.

For your situation, if you got a really impressive GPA or made it on the deans list I’d suggest you put that on your resume. If not, don’t list it, just your degree and certifications.

If your looking for a specific job or role look at their website, and see if you fulfil their requirements and skills. Sometimes you gotta tailor your resume to what your applying to differently depending on your volunteer and work experience. Be prepared to write multiple different types and versions of cover letters. If you don’t match all of the requirements still take the shot. Your going to applying to alot of jobs in this stage and it may feel defeating but you have to keep trying.

To boost your resume, go on LinkedIn learning take some online courses for free that would enchance your qualifications.

Make dua and inshallah you’ll get a job. Soak up as much experience as possible and either stay or apply to a different one.
physiotherapy bro, i had an chance to take an non paid internship last summer but i took a summer job instead to get some cash. I regret that shit now

How long would it take to get into a (paid) internship as a compsci undergrad?

physiotherapy bro, i had an chance to take an non paid internship last summer but i took a summer job instead to get some cash. I regret that shit now
Try attending networking events at your school if they offer that. Even if you graduate maybe try to get that internship again for a bit. Experience can really go a long way to get hired.

How long would it take to get into a (paid) internship as a compsci undergrad?
Depends. Does your school offer that? Do you code a lot on the side? Do you have a GitHub? With computer science there’s alot of flexibility getting hired with or without schooling experience. It depends on how well you know your stuff. I have a friend who graded in compsci, he did very poorly and didn’t do an internship however he met someone at the mosque after a year of applying who referenced him.

Your network is your net worth. Leverage it. I can’t speak for your field but try to connect with people you know who work/worked the jobs you want. Then, sell yourself in the interviews. Most importantly, make istakhaara and trust in Allah.

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Try attending networking events at your school if they offer that. Even if you graduate maybe try to get that internship again for a bit. Experience can really go a long way to get hired.
do university clubs matter ? I joined some clubs in my first and second year on my major and still got my id cards from them

I heard they ask about this type of stuff during interviews thats the only reason i joined them, is that true ?

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member

Lemme sit since I am in the same boat.

I did internship last summer but it was online coz of covid. Now, I am having imposter syndrome when applying for jobs coz it feels like I dont have enough field experience and my research skills is wack 😓

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Lemme sit since I am in the same boat.

I did internship last summer but it was online coz of covid. Now, I am having imposter syndrome when applying for jobs coz it feels like I dont have enough field experience and my research skills is wack 😓
Ive been thinking about this since my winter break, so much stress its killing me and im about to graduate aswell idk wtf to do :damn:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Did you have experience before hand ?

I did some extracurriculars at uni, joined some relevant societies.

I didn’t go all out and try to be the model candidate but did just enough to make my resume look decent.

Goal is to look for opportunities, programmes etc at uni that you can make look good on your resume. Join a networking society or a society that does work related to your degree.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
GPA is useless in the real world and only matters when you apply for post graduate studies. All that matters is networking and people to vouch for you that you're smart and dedicated. Start volunteering now in various organizations related to your field to put your foot in the door and for people to notice you and be your buddy. This should have began 4 years ago but it's not too late. 21 is extremely young. You have nothing to worry about as long as you follow my steps.

You may have missed the internship, but dont give up - look for another one, work for free if you have to and establish connections in that field. Most importantly get that foot into the door.

Trending

Latest posts