FAKE NEWS: piracy cash did not fuel Kenyan property boom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is rather old news (2010) but one that is still perpetuated across Kenyan and international media today.

Introduction:

During 2009-2010, the ever growing property market (especially in Nairobi) had been growing to such an extent that it was at "bubble" status.

Also during (and well before) this time, Somali business activity in Kenya was also growing and individual Somalis were snapping up property in prime/sub-prime locations.

Kenyan media ran stories that insinuated that Somali piracy cash had been fueling this rise and major western outlets from NBC to the respected Financial Times even reported on it.

https://www.ft.com/content/160f7b24-29b0-11e2-a5ca-00144feabdc0

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34661327/ns/world_news-africa/t/somali-pirates-behind-kenya-property-boom/

NAIROBI, Kenya — Property prices in Nairobi are soaring, and Somali pirates are getting the blame.

The investigation has drawn angry reactions from the Somali community, and business leaders said Somalis would not cooperate with the investigation and may go to court to try to stop it.

And they were absolutely right to be angry about this since 3 YEARS LATER the world Bank and interpol out of all places debunked this shit.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201311130970.html (paid)

A World Bank, UNODC and Interpol study seeking to ascertain the destination of ransom money paid to Somali pirates has ruled out its influence on Kenya's property prices.

Even before this vital source from the big guns, i knew that piracy moolah fueling Kenyan property/business was a silly myth.

So here's another report from a RESPECTED AND RENOWNED British think-tank, Chatham House regarding Somali success in Kenyan business.

"But in reality the value of Somali trade and investment in Kenya is much larger than the proceeds of piracy. Anecdotal evidence points to investments of over $1.5 billion in Eastleigh in 2004. Ransoms in 2009 were estimated at around $100 million."

http://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/default/files/public/Research/Africa/bp0311_abdulsamed.pdf

So in bloody 2004, Kenyan Somalis were rolling in the dough long before piracy became a scourge in the open seas.

Tldr: jealous Kenyan neanderthals and later western media state that piracy is fueling property boom when it's not the case

Also, @NAF you need to be more critical when it comes to media portrayals regarding Somalis (economist article you posted) and not take it at face value.

@Canuck did i do well? I want to be a disciple of yours and fight somalophobic injustice!

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
Kenyans regardless of their ethnicity hate Somalis. I know a Christian Swahili guy who loves to downplay the Somali business prowess in Kenya. I showed him the article about Hass petroleum building the tallest building in Africa in Nairobi and shut his biatch ass mouth up.

Definitely sending him these articles too. Cheers mate :nvjpqts:

Kenyans regardless of their ethnicity hate Somalis. I know a Christian Swahili guy who loves to downplay the Somali business prowess in Kenya. I showed him the article about Hass petroleum building the tallest building in Africa in Nairobi and shut his biatch ass mouth up.

Definitely sending him these articles too. Cheers mate :nvjpqts:

I rember when the westgate attack happened some years ago and i was debating a Kenyan in either CNN or the guardian open comments (ok can't remember now).

This Kenyan (who i later knew as a teacher lol) hated Somalis and was spreading lies.

I countered much of it with evidence and when he/she said that piracy was helping Somali business ventures i showed this very Chatham House breif and another separate article to shut him/her down.

That teacher then conceded defeat to some ciyaal sooq teen based at hooyos basement lol.:ftw9nwa:

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
I rember when the westgate attack happened some years ago and i was debating a Kenyan in either CNN or the guardian open comments (ok can't remember now).

This Kenyan (who i later knew as a teacher lol) hated Somalis and was spreading lies.

I countered much of it with evidence and when he/she said that piracy was helping Somali business ventures i showed this very Chatham House breif and another separate article to shut him/her down.

That teacher then conceded defeat to some ciyaal sooq teen based at hooyos basement lol.:ftw9nwa:

Haha great job.

A Somali sijui told me that Indians are paying news outlets like the Nation, Star and People Daily to push stories that fan the xenophobic sentiment towards Somalis in Kenya.

I'm not 100% sure that it's true. I only believed him because he's Sijui and he knows about the power politics in Kenya.

There could be some merit to that.

In 2000, an important commercial building which was owned by a Somali (garissa lodge) got badly damaged due to fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1071895.stm

Some rumours state that it was done by Asians due to the competitive threat from the Somalis but we should take it with a grain of salt...

"Reports said the fire began at the popular Garissa Lodge shopping complex, known as mini-Dubai, just before 10 pm on Thursday night and spread quickly through Eastleigh commercial district razing several other shops to the ground."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts