Ethio-Somali

I’ve been sitting on this thought for a while, and since it can be thought of almost like a prediction, it’s something I just want to air out. I won’t be checking what I write and it will probably be incoherent at times, and so yh…

Prediction: Ethio-Somali component will be best modelled by Predynastic and Edyn Egyptian

I first saw the anthropometric data and thought that it was interesting, especially considering the admixture event that resulted in Somalis happened in the general vicinity of the Naqadan and Badarian cultures.

And then the abstract to the new Kerma sample dropped and that really made me question how possible this would be. I think of the timeframe determined through linguistic means and ADLER or whatever that is known to suck, and it just wouldn’t make sense that way. But at the same time, the East Cushitic substrata in geographically removed populations from the East Cushitic urheimat could be explained away this way. Even still, I thought that if it’s not literally Badarian or Naqadan, Ethio-Somali will be part of the same meta-ethnicity (think: Natufian or Iberomaurusian).

I then remembered a reconstruction of Ethio-Somali that a friend of mine made that had it best modelled as ~87% Natufian and ~13% Iberomaurusian. I figured that once the Christian Urban study drops, I’d be able to run the samples through Vahaduo and or qpAdm and if the proportions were similar (though I had anticipated elevated IBM to account for putative Sabaean ancestry picked up in Ethio-Somali reconstruction), I’d probably be onto something. It seems, though, that that wasn’t necessary…

As some of you are aware, there was a study done on some 12th dynasty brothers, but the genome coverage sucked and it couldn’t be used officially or something idrk the specifics lol. Anyways, as it happens, they release the dataset to the public regardless and an Egyptian dude ran it through qpAdm and the proportions were exactly as I had anticipated.

Thoughts?

I largely agree with this, Late Period Egyptians work well as a source of ancestry for Horn Africans, and due to obv reasons not worth mentioning, Early Southern Egyptians will work even better, the only other source of Eurasian ancestry Horners really need on top of Ethio-Somali is Arabian, so it clearly represents our Egyptian/Levantine component.

As some of you are aware, there was a study done on some 12th dynasty brothers, but the genome coverage sucked and it couldn’t be used officially or something idrk the specifics lol. Anyways, as it happens, they release the dataset to the public regardless and an Egyptian dude ran it through qpAdm and the proportions were exactly as I had anticipated.
They modelled this guy as Neolithic Levant + IBM, I've actually found that this combo is interchangable with Natufian in East Africans
So Natufian can be replaced with IBM + EEF, KEB, IBM + Levant_N etc... Basically Mesolithic North African + Neolithic Farmer, this is what I think the Natufian ancestry that East Africans on G25 score represents, Natufian can be modelled as EEF/Dzudzuana + IBM + Mota, so it makes sense that Natufian can be accounting for some EEF ancestry in East Africans. @Al-Ma'mun is probably completely wrong about East Africans being deplete in EEF ancestry, Natufians have enough EEF-like ancestry ontop of their IAM-like (which loosely represents Paleo/Meso Egyptian ancestry) to account for the EEF ancestry that East Africans carry. This explains why f4 stats show KEB works well as a source of Eurasian ancestry, even better than Bedouins(very Natufian) I predict throughout much of Neolithic North Africa we'll get Natufian profiles which superficially represents Indigenous North Africans admixing with Med/Levantine Farmers.

I largely agree with this, Late Period Egyptians work well as a source of ancestry for Horn Africans, and due to obv reasons not worth mentioning, Early Southern Egyptians will work even better, the only other source of Eurasian ancestry Horners really need on top of Ethio-Somali is Arabian, so it clearly represents our Egyptian/Levantine component.

They modelled this guy as Neolithic Levant + IBM, I've actually found that this combo is interchangable with Natufian in East Africans
So Natufian can be replaced with IBM + EEF, KEB, IBM + Levant_N etc... Basically Mesolithic North African + Neolithic Farmer, this is what I think the Natufian ancestry that East Africans on G25 score represents, Natufian can be modelled as EEF/Dzudzuana + IBM + Mota, so it makes sense that Natufian can be accounting for some EEF ancestry in East Africans. @Al-Ma'mun is probably completely wrong about East Africans being deplete in EEF ancestry, Natufians have enough EEF-like ancestry ontop of their IAM-like (which loosely represents Paleo/Meso Egyptian ancestry) to account for the EEF ancestry that East Africans carry. This explains why f4 stats show KEB works well as a source of Eurasian ancestry, even better than Bedouins(very Natufian) I predict throughout much of Neolithic North Africa we'll get Natufian profiles which superficially represents Indigenous North Africans admixing with Med/Levantine Farmers.
Very informative. What is KEB, though?

Very informative. What is KEB, though?
It stands for Kelif el Boroud, they're Late Neolithic Moroccans

Somali West Eurasian is best exemplified by the Natufians because we lack Egyptian HG samples.I think we will have a continuum from Morocco to the Southern Levant and that only minor EEF ancestry via the Southern Levant is found in Ancient Cushites.I used the new Jordan PPNB/PPNC samples in these runs

Target:Almamun__scaled
Distance: 5.2857% / 0.05285742
49.8 South_Sudanese
31.8 Levant_Natufian
6.8 SYR_Tell_Qarassa_Early_Antiquity (Islamic Arab)
5.0 MAR_EN
4.4 ETH_Mota
2.2 JOR_PPNB

Target: Amhara
Distance: 4.2995% / 0.04299455
35.6 South_Sudanese
27.0 Levant_Natufian
24.4 SYR_Tell_Qarassa_Early_Antiquity (Islamic Arab
8.2 ETH_Mota
2.4 JOR_PPNB
2.4 MAR_EN

Target: KEN_Pastoral_N
Distance: 5.9788% / 0.05978761
43.0 South_Sudanese
37.2 Levant_Natufian
12.6 ETH_Mota
5.4 JOR_PPNB
1.8 MAR_EN

Target: KEN_Early_Pastoral_N
Distance: 5.5869% / 0.05586944
40.2 Levant_Natufian
23.0 South_Sudanese
22.4 ETH_Mota
10.6 JOR_PPNB
3.8 MAR_EN

Target: Ancient_Egyptian_Profile
Distance: 3.7471% / 0.03747056
57.8 JOR_PPN
22.6 Natufian
17.0 Neolithic_Iranian
2.6 South_Sudanese

Just found this interesting discussion.
@tariq moses Were Halfans IBM? Do you think Halfan or Kubaniyan=Al-khiday related people and broadly related to IBM?
I do think IBM-related peoples were demographically dominant in early North Africa though, they were found in the Chad basin too, after all. But are there craniometric studies on the Halfans?
1663321437033.png

^It's crazy, lol. Did not expect Kiffians to cluster that tightly with coastal ones. Though I wonder why there aren't published photos of Mauritanian HGs mentioned in the same study.

I also heard they're currently having problems with aDNA sampling.

@AbdulFrmXmr I asked the guy on Anthrogenica (the same academic Shimbiris brought up when he told us about OK and MK news), and he told me we would normally be getting Early Dynastic, Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, Second Intermediate Period, all the way to Roman and Hellenistic samples (I don't even want Roman and Hellenistic samples, lol). The MK one was a high-status individual.

Sadly no news regarding Predynastic genomes as of yet. I hypothesize they would be similar to Early Dynastic, but then again Predynastic crania were said to be more gracile as opposed to Edyn and OK's broad faces. I cannot be sure what caused this but perhaps advancement in agriculture helped.

Male stature (height) also increased from the Badarian period all the way to reaching its height in Edyn, before slightly dropping in the OK (not by much), and meeting a ridiculous decrease during the MK. Female stature remained relatively unchanged.
The Badarians exhibited the least sexual dimorphism whereas Late Predynastic people were the exact opposite. The paper by Zakrzewski explained this via social transition and stratification (?), basically shit like that.

Last edited:

Trending