Dozens of US troops headed to Somalia to provide Somali forces support to fight Al Shabab

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has already been going on. Looks like they're sending some more troops. Good news nonetheless.

dd48lrM.jpg

We kicked out our Saddam a long time ago

it would just a lot of damage. I don't even think AS can be fought on a battle front like an organized entity because they're dispersed among the average civilian, so it would just be a lot of causalities. since it's ideology based and rooted more in the socio-economics of the average somali citizen handling the things that cause it to even exist in the first place ( hunger, poverty lack of trust in the government, clan elders who facilitate these things, disorder etc) would probably work better imo

it would just a lot of damage. I don't even think AS can be fought on a battle front like an organized entity because they're dispersed among the average civilian, so it would just be a lot of causalities. since it's ideology based and rooted more in the socio-economics of the average somali citizen handling the things that cause it to even exist in the first place ( hunger, poverty lack of trust in the government, clan elders who facilitate these things, disorder etc) would probably work better imo
That's why training Somali troops is so necessary. Only Somalis can successfully kick AS out of their safe havens and gain support from the locals. Having foreign troops only feeds into their propaganda of waging jihad against the disbelievers.

Al Shabab constantly sabotages the federal govts efforts to improve the country with the almost daily car bombs and political assassinations in the capital. Only focusing on socio-economics and not attacking their safe havens and undercover networks is like walking one step forward and one step back,

That's why training Somali troops is so necessary. Only Somalis can successfully kick AS out of their safe havens and gain support from the locals. Having foreign troops only feeds into their propaganda of waging jihad against the disbelievers.

Al Shabab constantly sabotages the federal govts efforts to improve the country with the almost daily car bombs and political assassinations in the capital. Only focusing on socio-economics and not attacking their safe havens and undercover networks is like walking one step forward and one step back,
I agree, and that's what makes it so difficult to defeat them. on one hand the government and the war against them, amisom and all that give the more ammo and supporters, on the other hand if they are just left alone they blow up a hospital or government hotspot. but what I meant by targeting the ideology wasn't just leaving them alone and focusing on other things. it involves holding the clan elders and other members responsible because this is one of the things that keeps them alive, the toxic culture of qabil protection and hatred/envy.

I agree, and that's what makes it so difficult to defeat them. on one hand the government and the war against them, amisom and all that give the more ammo and supporters, on the other hand if they are just left alone they blow up a hospital or government hotspot. but what I meant by targeting the ideology wasn't just leaving them alone and focusing on other things. it involves holding the clan elders and other members responsible because this is one of the things that keeps them alive, the toxic culture of qabil protection and hatred/envy.
Some clans do have serious grievances against the government which is why they're supporting Al Shabab. They can be persuaded to support the government but the extreme core of AS have to be taken out.

The extremist ideology won't go away for a long time. It just has to reach a point where it can be easily contained and not cause serious damage to society.

The culture of tribal protection and hatred is because there hasn't been any serious reconciliation at all between clans. Somali culture has a way of dealing with clan conflicts but things have been made worse with all the foreign meddling going on for the past 25 years.

Alshabab are there to serve as a pretext for U.S. Military intervention.
Terrorism is the symptom; American imperialism in the Middle East is the cancer.
That support they'll provide will soon turn into "War on terror".Put simply, the war on terror is terrorism" only, it is conducted on a larger scale by people with jets & missiles.

Therefore, the only solution is for the somali government to fund a paramilitary Regiment with mechanised brigades to combat and distinguish Alshabab.

Status
Not open for further replies.