Doubting the destination of the disbeliever

Abū Muţīý Ĥakam ibn Ábdullāh al-Balkhī [115-199 AH / 733-814 CE] narrates:

6623BCE8-111F-4A29-A7DB-EFDB41B1C2A5.jpeg

I said [i.e. to Imām Abū Ĥanīfah], “A man says, ‘I do not know if the kāfir is a kāfir.'”

He said, “He is like him [i.e. a kāfir].”

I said, “Thus if he said, ‘I do not know where the destination of the kāfir is.'”

He said, “He is a denier of the Book of Allāh táālā, and he is a kāfir.”

FIQH AL-ABSAŢ, PG. 45

This shows that those who deny and/or doubt that disbelievers such as Jews and Christians are disbelievers are themselves disbelievers, likewise is the case for the one who denies and/or doubts that the destination of the disbeliever is the eternal inferno of Hell.

Imām Abū Ĥanīfah al-Númān ibn al-Thābit al-Kūfī [d. 150 AH / 767 CE] stated:

18FD552F-DC67-4614-A2A1-008C97FFC41C.jpeg

The one who said, “I do not know if the infidel [kāfir] is in Paradise or Hell”, then he is an infidel. Due to His saying, “And those who disbelieve, for them is the Fire of Hell, it shall not be decreed for them to die”. He said, “For them is the torment of burning”. Allāh táālā said, “And for them is a severe torment”.

He continued:

It has reached me from Saýīd ibn al-Musayyib, that he said, “The one who does not place the infidels in their place from the Fire, then he is like them [i.e. an infidel].”

FIQH AL-ABSAŢ, PG. 47

We observe that Imām Abu Hanifa presents explicit textual proofs in the form of Qur’ānic verses, by which is established that the infidels shall burn and be tormented in the blazing inferno of Hell, thus the one who rejects or even doubts this has rejected clear verses of the Qur’ān and is an infidel himself. These quotes show the utter heresy and sheer apostasy of the perennialist ideology, for which there is no room in Islām, especially not in the Māturīdī and Ashárī schools of theology, nor in any orthodox Sufi framework.

Trending