Don't follow your passion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was mid-making a thread about this when the forum stopped working.

There was a thread on here about careers and a lot of people gave the advice of following your passion. I think this is very vague advice that has left many millenials in quite a pickle.

The article I wanted to post suggested that people don't follow their passion (as a career)...unless they are able to answer some critical questions such as:

Can you earn a living doing it?
I'd add an adjective before earn here maybe good or adequate for the standard of living you want.

Would it still be your passion if you had to do it every day to make money?

Young people may idealize a certain career but when something you thought was your passion is constrained by everyday workplace politics, the "passion" can quickly fade and if your entire career choice was based on passion then what's left to ground you?

Is the thing you’re passionate about related to a skill that you have, that you want to develop, and that’s needed in the market?

black

live and let die.
Terrible advice. Follow your heart and do what you're passionate about as long as you're being reasonably intelligent about it :rejoice:

Oh yes why yes follow your passion...

Tell that to those political science, psychology, philosophy, gender studies majors etc. They be lining up for a future as a Starbucks cashier..

Good advice @Degan as articulate as always :obama:

My passion was to be a criminal investigator and take criminology in uni:ahh:. How fun those projects, assignments looked in criminology and the job too :banderas:..But then I realized I lived in Canada, and not CSI/Bones. I went to where the money and skills were, and now half way thru my engineering degree.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
I've always wanted to be a human scarecrow ever since I was 5 years old :(
I'm afraid as a Bantu you have a bit too much muscle mass for that as scarecrows are literally stick-thin.
You'll have to take the traditional African starvation diet to slim down. Don't worry it's 100% safe.

I'm afraid as a Bantu you have a bit too much muscle mass for that as scarecrows are literally stick-thin.
You'll have to take the traditional African starvation diet to slim down. Don't worry it's 100% safe.
Sxb why do u always have to embarrass me?

I agree follow your parents passion
images (11).jpg

Sarah136

Hot and cold
My passion is helping woman through labour and delivering babies. Especially Muslims mothers. throughout the labour she is either crying out of pain or making dua for me.

A sister once asked me to become a second wife to her husband. I reminded her after the birth and she looked at me with horror :yloezpe:

Last edited:
well if you study something your vaguely interested in it may develop into your passion. i think interest is an important driving factor to achieve your end goal and succeed in any career.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
In 10 years I might not be passionate about the things I'm passionate about right now.

Its a matter of living long enough to find what you're truly passionate about.

Lol I always knew I wouldn't be able to pursue my passion as a career, well I could but then I'd be broke :ftw9nwa:

The good thing is that you can be passionate about different things at the same time lol just go with ur second favourite thing and keep the other one as an hobby. That's what I'm gonna do

Status
Not open for further replies.