Does Somali Nationalism have any historical/cultural basis or is it purely post modernist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt somewhat forced to conduct some research on this matter that has irked me for some time. For most of our history, we only considered eachother (Somalis) as ajnabi/foreigners. We were either raiding or were being raided by rival Somali communities. The first time the word 'Somali' was ever recoreded, it was from the pen of Negus Yeshaq, the Abyssinian emperor who waged war on Somalis. Ironically, theconcept of Somali nationhood came from their sworn enemies and was recognised by the Abyssinians before the Somalis themselves. Read this:

"Yeshaq compelled the Muslims to offer tribute, and also ordered his singers to compose a gloating hymn of thanksgiving for his victory. In the hymn's lyrics, the word Somali appears for the first time in written record."

US Library of Congress

Bear in mind that the word 'Somali' never existed in Somali poetry up until the 17/18th century onwards.
It seems that we have always been xenophobic primitive tribal communities whom had no concept of nationalist identity until the 20th century and have always preferred those who do not speak Somali over those who do. Somalinimo was a term coined in colonialist discourse. It never existed prior to that. Are we not, therefore, encouraging a concept that is alien to our very being? Isn't servtitude to other nations like Ethiopia, Kenya and others the true definition of 'Somalinimo'? Isn't tribal warfare, selling the territorial waters, handing over rival tribesmen to the Ethiopians just a natural occurence of what it means to be Somali?

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
Somali is an ethnic group. I can't believe I must teach you that now. The platform you posted on says "Somalispot." So it's kingship. Now go be Oromo somewhere else

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
I felt somewhat forced to conduct some research on this matter that has irked me for some time. For most of our history, we only considered eachother (Somalis) as ajnabi/foreigners. We were either raiding or were being raided by rival Somali communities. The first time the word 'Somali' was ever recoreded, it was from the pen of Negus Yeshaq, the Abyssinian emperor who waged war on Somalis. Ironically, theconcept of Somali nationhood came from their sworn enemies and was recognised by the Abyssinians before the Somalis themselves. Read this:

"Yeshaq compelled the Muslims to offer tribute, and also ordered his singers to compose a gloating hymn of thanksgiving for his victory. In the hymn's lyrics, the word Somali appears for the first time in written record."

US Library of Congress

Bear in mind that the word 'Somali' never existed in Somali poetry up until the 17/18th century onwards.
It seems that we have always been xenophobic primitive tribal communities whom had no concept of nationalist identity until the 20th century and have always preferred those who do not speak Somali over those who do. Somalinimo was a term coined in colonialist discourse. It never existed prior to that. Are we not, therefore, encouraging a concept that is alien to our very being? Isn't servtitude to other nations like Ethiopia, Kenya and others the true definition of 'Somalinimo'? Isn't tribal warfare, selling the territorial waters, handing over rival tribesmen to the Ethiopians just a natural occurence of what it means to be Somali?
dafu.jpg

OP, I know you're trolling, but you're absolutely right. For the past millennia. the greatest enemy of a given Somali group was another Somali group. It's the reason centralism won't work, even when the president of the nation shares the same clan as a given clan fiefdom but is of a different subclan. Somali "nationalism" is a rather recent invention.

OP, I know you're trolling, but you're absolutely right. For the past millennia. the greatest enemy of a given Somali group was another Somali group. It's the reason centralism won't work, even when the president of the nation shares the same clan as a given clan fiefdom but is of a different subclan. Somali "nationalism" is a rather recent invention.
Nation states are just as new for a majority of the world, its a modern phenomena. Thats a really bizarre excuse.

Nation states are just as new for a majority of the world, its a modern phenomena. Thats a really bizarre excuse.

Nation states are the modern manifestation of empires/kingdoms. Entire ethnic groups were united under these empires and kingdoms, and fighting wars against the "other" which was often their historic enemy. This is why nationalism is not a new concept for most people around the world and it actually works for them. For Somalis, the story is entirely different and the historic "other" was typically another Somali group.

Nation states are the modern manifestation of empires/kingdoms. Entire ethnic groups were united under these empires and kingdoms, and fighting wars against the "other" which was often their historic enemy. This is why nationalism is not a new concept for most people around the world and it actually works for them. For Somalis, the story is entirely different and the historic "other" was typically another Somali group.
Not true, that was also the case for many african and asian peoples who now share nations, most of the time with multiple ethnic groups and religions. For most people their historic other was whoever they bordered immediatley. Its actually very common and not unique to Somalis. Look at some of the neighbouring countries. It should actually be much easier for Somalis, one people, the real issue is poverty and foreign meddling.

World

VIP
Somalis were united under the Adal Empire and our historic enemy was and always will be Abyssinia who we’ve fought for centuries. Somalis all rallied around Ahmed Gurey regardless of qabiil and united to fight the outside threat of Habeshas who were trespassing our lands.

Somalis are majority nomadic which is the main reason why we have a lot of conflicts between each other. This shouldn’t be surprising given the fact that we inhabit a harsh environment and there is a limited amount of water/pasture especially during droughts. Showing the main issue of Somalis being poverty, and not a lack of nationalism/Somalinimo.

The solution to our problems is education and a higher standard of living. But you can convince yourself otherwise and agree with the Oromo sheegato @Defendant you self hater.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
The word Somali has no cultural reference or origin. If we were to deduce by logic inference, i would say it originates from the Caano Geel Soo Maal. Meaning, go milk the camel milk. As Somalis were few and nomads, i guess the foreigners such as the Abyssinian would call them that, just as contemporary the Kenyans call Somalis "wariiyaa" from the Somali common used word Waryaaa Keleey.

Status
Not open for further replies.