Does Euler-Langrange formula work in all cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Naissur , the requirements of the solution are often bases on some assumptions.Such that all curves end up with the same ending point of the test function , however I constantly see it be used in a lot of situations.For examples its been used in the Brachistochrome problem to find that x and y are cycloids.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Naissur , the requirements of the solution are often bases on some assumptions.Such that all curves end up with the same ending point of the test function , however I constantly see it be used in a lot of situations.For examples its been used in the Brachistochrome problem to find that x and y are cycloids.

sxb I cant understand these confusing letters break it down for me. If u can help me understand it, I can understand the problem and wallahi I can try figuring the shit out quickly. Just present the problem in a simple geeljire language.

sxb I cant understand these confusing letters break it down for me. If u can help me understand it, I can understand the problem and wallahi I can try figuring the shit out quickly. Just present the problem in a simple geeljire language.
you will need to know a lot of background knowledge about calculus.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
you will need to know a lot of background knowledge about calculus.

derint.gif

That's all calculus deals with is curves and the area below it. Now the rest are just problems, wat part of the curve is this and the number, what path to go from one point to another point and the number. Your focused way to much on detail and forget the big picture. Once u know the big picture that's all u need nothing else as u can work out a problem then inside that context.

Just present the the problem visually that's all I ask n simple english, save me the lost human translation of algebra

derint.gif

That's all calculus deals with is curves and the area below it. Now the rest are just problems, wat part of the curve is this and the number, what path to go from one point to another point and the number. Your focused way to much on detail and forget the big picture. Once u know the big picture that's all u need nothing else as u can work out a problem then inside that context.

Just present the the problem visually that's all I ask n simple english, save me the lost human translation of algebra
Well , partial differentiation is needed here a lot.Search up the brachiostrome problem as well as Euler Langragian.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Besides Can't you present a problem like this. For example the flow of water in a tap, how do we ensure a certain volume of water is extracted. We want 1 liter extracted per 1 second.

I can then break this problem down and look at the factors like the pipe size and what area of size it needs to be with measurements of 'area of space' cause that is where the water will flow from. The tap size won't matter regardless if it sprinkles it or pours it down. We just care about the volume being 1 liter in a second. Three variables pipe size measurement determines volume of water and time is the measure.

Besides Can't you present a problem like this. For example the flow of water in a tap, how do we ensure a certain volume of water is extracted. We want 1 liter extracted per 1 second.

I can then break this problem down and look at the factors like the pipe size and what area of size it needs to be with measurements of 'area of space' cause that is where the water will flow from. The tap size won't matter regardless if it sprinkles it or pours it down. We just care about the volume being 1 liter in a second. Two variables volume x time plus pipe diameter!!!
I think I would have to write a 3 page essay to explain it in English.Maths is much more effective.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I think I would have to write a 3 page essay to explain it in English.Maths is much more effective.

BISINKA sxb!!! I know maths is a prick behind the scene, is it easier to learn algebra then so I can find out the problem cuz lets be honest algebra is just presenting the problem not the answer. We still use the multiplication/division/substraction/addition at all times across those silly letters.

BISINKA sxb!!! I know maths is a prick behind the scene, is it easier to learn algebra then so I can find out the problem cuz lets be honest algebra is just presenting the problem not the answer. We still use the multiplication/division/substraction/addition at all times across those silly letters.
Try practising more questions to strengthen your abstract thinking.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

That's why I love God, 3 pages on such a small aspect within our world, a simple curve.

Anyways basically brachiostrome is a cycloid curve and his whole problem what's the quickest way to get from point a to point b and he tested it basically with an angle and straight line and his curvature proved to be quicker. Do I understand this now?

Brachistochrone.gif

So what's the problem, please be specific, just tell me what u wanna find out about it. U wanna know where it's quickest along the curve? if that's the case u will need to break up the curve into points within itself with distance/speed/time variables in this situation as there is two points the beginning and the end(distance) is clearly needed. Time is needed cuz it's 'travelling' across the curve unless your not interested in travel across the curve. Finally speed is a result of 'travel' across the curve.

Objective 1 - Measure the distance as this is a 'fixed' point and with any calculation you need some
sort of 'fixed' variable.

Objective 2 - Measure time with a stop-watch

Objective 3 - Use distance figures and time results and divide it to get the overall speed that it got from beginning to end. To find the fastest point along the journey, I will need to think about that.

Last edited:
That's why I love God, 3 pages on such a small aspect within our world, a simple curve.

Anyways basically brachiostrome is a cycloid curve and his whole problem what's the quickest way to get from point a to point b and he tested it basically with an angle and straight line and his curvature proved to be quicker. Do I understand this now?

Brachistochrone.gif

So what's the problem, please be specific, just tell me what u wanna find out about it. U wanna know where it's quickest along the curve?
Well , if you are talking about Bernoulli , his method was "different".The much more interesting method was newtons method whereby you can discover the function more efficiently and logically. I'm more interested on how Euler - Langrange was used to find the solution.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Well , if you are talking about Bernoulli , his method was "different".The much more interesting method was newtons method whereby you can discover the function more efficiently and logically. I'm more interested on how Euler - Langrange was used to find the solution.

So you mean you want to know how he came up with the idea that a curve is faster then a straight and angle across two points?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

The function I assume you mean slicing up the curve but with what mathatmetical parameter are u going to apply to the function is the question. It's easy slicing up a cake but u need to know what parameter u wanna apply to it like are u trying to find the area of each slice then u measure the parameters of angles and width of the slice. Since the width and the angles and area are different sizes along the slice it won't give u an accurate reading of how much space is in each slice. You then need to slice up the cake further inside into 'function points' basically. Once u know how many mini slices fills up the space you can compute how much space 1 mini slice takes up and x by how many you have in there.

U see what I mean bro, you need to know the parameter your going to apply to the curve in order to the fastest point along the curve.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
A question to ponder!!!

How do u ensure with certainity point a and point b distances has been adjusted accurately. There is no point testing the speed of something if the distance and shape are not reflecting the same parameters. For example if a curve has been adjusted to dip, u need to ensure the angle and straight line is adjusted at the same parameter of the dip. How is this performed? what optimization do we need to do to ensure accurate adjustments are applied to shapes?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Other interesting questions. If u have an angle lets say a 45 degree angle. Can u work out what degree the angle is through-out the line? From the beginning of the angle all the way to end of the angle and in between and what method would u use?

Do u work out what the end degree is and the first degree two solid figures and measure how far you are in the angle in terms of distance and apply some arithmetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending