Do you think Somalis will put their parents in nursing homes (in the West)?

Maybe the 4th, and 5th generation of Somalis in the west but not the current generation (gen z, Millennial) would do that, because within each generation the more western we become.

Many elderly people died from Covid-19 in those nursery homes due to neglect. The horror, I can't imagine an elderly somali in that situation. There's just about 55k+ deaths possibly more from nursery homes nationwide.

Last edited:

Desert Flower

Resident Naag Nool. Queen of the Den.
Staff Member
That's how I got rid of my boomer parents. No worries about taking care of them or retirement homes. :whew: They even stayed in Somalia during this covid crisis. :wow1:
I think most of you are really young and frankly naive about the real world. It isnt a case of how much you love your parents and want to take care of them. But how will you do it?

If you live in the western world it just doesn't allow or accommodate multi generational homes, where grandpa and grandma share a home with their kids and grandkids, it simply isn't realistic and I hardly saw this in the UK, maybe in a ideal situation but not the norm.

The children all move out 1 by 1, and the parents (hardly ever together) poor mother is left at home in her 60s or 70s. These mothers if they're lucky move to somalia build a house etc but mostly they're alone in some depressing flat, Why? Well firstly somali parents are stubborn as hell, they refuse to live with their kids. They like their independence and secondly, houses in the West are tiny, not to mention their children have busy lives working and raising 4 + kids.

Most elderly parent's prefer their own space, when they get super fragile the most they'll get is visits and chores done for them, shopping, trips to doctors, etc

So yes in the future I see somali parents in old peoples homes, I hope those are muslim somali ones. I wouldn't be surprised if theres some poor sods in them now.

It's the society and the practicality of where you live that dictates this, nothing to do with been caasi or kind.

If Fatima has 5 kids and a mortgage to pay, when's she gonna have time to look after her 80 year old mother?

If you want to help your parents build them mansions back home, set them up big time for when they really need it.

I would never retire in the west either!
Just say you’re caasi and GO!

GemState

Probitas
There's literally nothing wrong with retirement homes, as long as they're comfortable and happy that's all that matters.

For a lot of us, it's not possible to work, start a family, and then have to take care of our elderly parents.

Garen

Chliin
VIP
The more time goes by the more gaal Somalis become. by the time our grandkids are adults somalinimo will be finished :jcoleno:
encouraging somalis to move back should be a thing however the country is currently shit hole so i don't think that many people will move back maybe the number might increase over time but that depends on how much somalia improves

IgaFuuq

Cadaanka iska ilaali
encouraging somalis to move back should be a thing however the country is currently shit hole so i don't think that many people will move back maybe the number might increase over time but that depends on how much somalia improves
Not really. Somalia is improving so much now. The only shithole is the main cities. Move to the smaller cites if you will.

Desert Flower

Staff Member
There's literally nothing wrong with retirement homes, as long as they're comfortable and happy that's all that matters.

For a lot of us, it's not possible to work, start a family, and then have to take care of our elderly parents.
Selfish ba tahay. Your parents worked, took care of you and their parents. Return the favour.

Garen

Chliin
VIP
Not really. Somalia is improving so much now. The only shithole is the main cities. Move to the smaller cites if you will.
true but the problem is that most people want or live in cities thats where u would find opportunities for employment unless the gov has some sort system that makes it easier to find or creates well paying jobs witch the corrupt gov whom has issues dealing with al useless a group thats has more then a few 1000s members and other issues hasn't created

Desert Flower

Staff Member
They baby them too much and think they are too stupid to be independent. Their parents literally pay all of their bills. Imagine when their parents pass away, what will they do? This is why I respect Somalis who take care of themselves and support their families back home. My parents are only in their early 50s but I do help family back home. I just think it’s embarrassing to be dulsaar on your aging parents who themselves need someone to care for them. They can’t even wash their dishes.
100 percent. It’s disgusting and I have no respect for them! Waa qashin!

Gambar

VIP
I think most of you are really young and frankly naive about the real world. It isnt a case of how much you love your parents and want to take care of them. But how will you do it?

If you live in the western world it just doesn't allow or accommodate multi generational homes, where grandpa and grandma share a home with their kids and grandkids, it simply isn't realistic and I hardly saw this in the UK, maybe in a ideal situation but not the norm.

The children all move out 1 by 1, and the parents (hardly ever together) poor mother is left at home in her 60s or 70s. These mothers if they're lucky move to somalia build a house etc but mostly they're alone in some depressing flat, Why? Well firstly somali parents are stubborn as hell, they refuse to live with their kids. They like their independence and secondly, houses in the West are tiny, not to mention their children have busy lives working and raising 4 + kids.

Most elderly parent's prefer their own space, when they get super fragile the most they'll get is visits and chores done for them, shopping, trips to doctors, etc

So yes in the future I see somali parents in old peoples homes, I hope those are muslim somali ones. I wouldn't be surprised if theres some poor sods in them now.

It's the society and the practicality of where you live that dictates this, nothing to do with been caasi or kind.

If Fatima has 5 kids and a mortgage to pay, when's she gonna have time to look after her 80 year old mother?

If you want to help your parents build them mansions back home, set them up big time for when they really need it.

I would never retire in the west either!
That’s an excuse. It’s culturally ceeb for your aging parents to live on their own especially if they’re widowed. They also use their aging parents as baby sitters but can’t manage to help them out and care for them? A lot of them want to be sent back to Africa with a maid and cook to help them but they don’t want to since they’d have to send their buuq kids to actual daycare.

GemState

Probitas
Selfish ba tahay. Your parents worked, took care of you and their parents. Return the favour.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But I do know people that put their parents in a retirement home, and they visit them frequently. I wouldn't do it, laakin I can understand why they did it.

This is a result of when Somalis continue to rent houses and not purchase, they'll have nothing to their name

BobSmoke

Huh?
That's xaaran in my eyes. They will retire and die in Somalia with family around them.
I can't rate those that put their folks in the old house to rot there

RICH

The Qadr of Allaah ta’aala is always in our favor.
I can’t imagine that a Somali person would let their parents live in a retirement home, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a mixed person would tbh.

I know some older women who live alone, but they refuse to go to a retirement home and get money from the government so that they can send it back home...:francis:

Trending