Do you feel more closer to Ethio&eri (incl. Oromo) or Arab and other “ethnic” Muslims

I just wanted to see how you guys guys feel about your “neighbors” and how you view them culturally and genetically, as well as how much you interact with them in the west

johnsepei5

Head of Somalia freemasonry branch
I don’t interact with Ethiopians in general,even growing up to me they were the equivalent of a another black Christian person jamaican etc,I feel closer to a Bangladeshi Muslim than an Ethiopian, oromo Muslims are okay to

I don’t interact with Ethiopians in general,even growing up to me they were the equivalent of a another black Christian person jamaican etc,I feel closer to a Bangladeshi Muslim than an Ethiopian, oromo Muslims are okay to
Hmmm interesting was it because of how you feel about Ethiopia or something?

Why is that?
The similarities we have with HOA are based on colonialists presumption that just because we look somewhat similar we have cultural similarities. There’s so much diversity in the HOA and we should embrace that instead of trying to assimilate each other. I’ve never related to any of them but I love their cultures and music.

As for other Muslims, I just see them as coreligionist. Nothing more.

Somalis are an island of our own with pockets of our own cultural diversity. No need to beg kinship with others!

I only feel commonalities with other Somalis when I meet them. Not Oromos and other Ethiopians and Horners. These are completely different people to Somalis. Somalis themselves have historic, cultural and linguistic differences that we need to get past at times.

Last edited:

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Definitely feel closer to horner groups then others. Most non-somali horners where I live are mostly friends with somalis, especially if they are muslim. Even I have a close horner friend. As you live in minnesota where a lot of non-somali horners live, its kind of unique because most oher diasporas don’t see many muslim horners.

johnsepei5

Head of Somalia freemasonry branch
Hmmm interesting was it because of how you feel about Ethiopia or something?
No,i always thought the Ethiopians I saw back in yr7 high school were just Jamaicans but I later realized they were Ethiopians.And we didn’t have much in common or much to talk about the opposite could be said for my Algerian and Somali friends

I feel way closer to my muslim Eritrean friend than any arab or turkish muslim, mostly because we have similar culture and have similar features. Some somalis have this pathetic one-sided beef with habesha when most of them view us as their cousins.

Garaad diinle

 
I personally feel that at least when it comes to habashi, a habashi muslim feels closer to other non habashi muslims than they're to me. It's anecdotal but that's what i have. The reason is probably the fact that they have similar language and culture as opposed to me who don't speak their language or share their culture. Of course that doesn't mean you can't be friends.

I feel way closer to my muslim Eritrean friend than any arab or turkish muslim, mostly because we have similar culture and have similar features. Some somalis have this pathetic one-sided beef with habesha when most of them view us as their cousins.

what cultural similarities? That don’t include Islam.

One sided beef is a lie. Plenty hate us and they’re just quiet about it. We’ve never had beef with Eritreans obviously so you wouldn’t hear it from your friend.

Somalis are an island of our own with pockets of our own cultural diversity. No need to beg kinship with others!
This such a weird take, you're acting somalis are some weird alien creatures who came out of nowhere. Any somali person who says that we have no similarities with other custhic Africans are either fed with ancient war progranda or just doesn't have any clue about somali dhaqan.

As someone who has had many Ethiopian/Eritrean friends… I’ve realized we are the closest to each other Dhaqan wise. Even the Christian orthodox Ethiopians don’t eat pork, wear veils to church, and prostrate when they’re praying. If they’re Muslim then we share even more similarities.

Erythrean

🇺🇸 PROUD MURICAN!!! Hamitic Horner Race
Second to other Horn African groups, we are culturally closest to Arabs.
Culturally closer to other Horn Africans, religiously closer to Arabs for now. Ethiopia and Eritrea both have a increasingly high Muslim populations and are growing fast. So I say in the next decade or so I’d say religiously closer to our neighbors.

Amber

A blessed human
I've always felt closer to south Indians. Ethiopians were so different in my eyes, that I never approached any. I'm not xenophobic, it's just I felt too uncomfortable to talk to them But I wished I had talked to more Ethiopians growing up, we have a lot in common